Register

Kebob anyone???

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Kebob anyone???

Postby mark111757 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:41 pm

Re: Kebob anyone???

Postby jeral » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:13 am

Good one :)

I was one of the hundreds of thousands worldwide who used to dip into LobsterCam addictively when it was up and running. Sadly missed, RIP. There was a transfixing ageing cheese cam one too...

That donner "scraper" knife is a bit cheating though don't you think? The meat is still shaved off with a very long knife in local shops near me.

Incidentally, why is it that Canadians like lamb ("Halifax's favourite food") but US people really don't, or they say they don't on TV progs I've watched?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:51 am

I sit about 15 metres from two twirling doner kebabs (as we spell it), not just at the moment but from noon until 11 pm.
One lamb, one chicken.

Big thing in London and especially in Stokey, where we have a big Turkish and Cypriot community. Also in Germany now

Jeral, Americans of my acquaintance don't dislike lamb, but there aren't a lot of sheep in the USA, it's an expensive meat there and many people haven't eaten it much (in some cases not at all)

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:01 pm

When DD lived in USA she despaired of every eating lamb again. Whne she finally laid hands on some and bbqed it none of her American friends would touch it. It was very similar when she was in Germany too

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:58 pm

I was going to mention Germany
Germans don't eat a lot of lamb but my more foodie German colleagues loved being taken to pubs to eat Barnsley chops etc.

As far as I can see, outside of the Middle East and N Africa lamb is eaten in France and UK and counties heavily influenced by them in the colonial era, the rest of the world thinks sheep meat is an aberration

There are grey areas as goat and sheep meat are fairly interchangeable in the kitchen

Postby Suffs » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:29 pm

jeral wrote:... Incidentally, why is it that Canadians like lamb ("Halifax's favourite food") but US people really don't, or they say they don't on TV progs I've watched?

I've always understood it to be historic ... going back to the problems sheep farmers had with ranchers (or the other way round). Ranchers said that sheep cropped the grass too close and ruined it for the cattle and also that sheep farmers put up fences whereas cattle ranchers needed to be able to move their herds freely from one pasture to another (cowboys).
It just became unfashionable for real Americans to eat lamb and that has persisted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep_Wars

Postby mark111757 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:03 pm

I love a good leg of lamb. It was an Easter thing growing up. Mum would make slits in the lamb and stuff them with garlic. Maybe a little oil massage. That was it. Then in a low and slow oven. Off to church and back home. Always wonderful. Even had lamb gravy to go with the spuds. Now that was good!!!

Would love to try a kebob. I am game!!

Postby mark111757 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:05 pm

The web cam reminded me that many years ago, Cambridge put up a web cam of a coffee pot making coffee. Yeah, coffee 24/7.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Your Easter dinner sounds good, much like mine :D

Some years ago Westcombe Farm put a web cam on a PDO cheddar cheese maturing slowly... we all followed it on the old BBC board! It didn't do a lot :lol:

A good doner kebab (and there are many bad ones) is a nice thing, the fat bastes the meat but runs off, so it is moist but not greasy. The great debate is whether it is made with coarsely minced lamb (like a giant kofta or meat loaf) or whether it is made of slices of meat all impaled by the central skewer, I suspect he slice one is the original

Usually served as durumler (Turkish for wraps) in a thin warm flat bread with salad and house special sauce (invariably a tomato based chilli sauce, but homemade and often good) and often with a pickled hot pepper (similar to a jalapeno, or slightly milder)

Postby jeral » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:33 pm

Re how doners are made, there was a UK TV prog where each week four youngsters (mid-late teens) were shown how to make their own takeaway, literally from scratch. They were taken abroad e.g. to Italy for pizza, the US for beefburgers (including choosing the cow!).

Turkey(?) for doners, whose chef put thick slabs of lamb onto the spindle and expertly compacted them into the conical shape we're familiar with. The teenagers valiantly managed to make higgledy piggledy stacks but clearly didn't have the skill-from-practise to produce the perfect art form of the expert.

mark111757, on lamb legs, you could also try sticking small snippets of rosemary in as you do your garlic cloves, also canned anchovies are poked in which don't make it taste fishy but is more to enhance the lamb flavour.

Postby jeral » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:52 pm

Thanks folks for all the sheep info. The "sheep wars" could well explain why I seemed to pick up undertones of vehemence rather than simply dislike of the taste or lack of availability.

Postby mark111757 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:57 pm

If I recall, it was featured in a story on series one of the F word. Giles Coren followed the process and I think had a hand in making one.

Some where in the piece he commented, a kebob...gourmet dining. Who would have thought......

You tube is such a help st times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NrNJgQuguU

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:49 pm

Yes, here's a Hairy Biker one in Turkey, which interesting uses the sliced lamb but with a mince forcemeat to hold it together

And lots of sheep tail fat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx0N4uJq8hc

Postby Renée » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:55 pm

Now that would be delicious, Sue and a real one! I would never try the ones in kebab shops over here! Mind you, that one would take me all day to make even if I had the right equipment to cook it.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox