Register

Beef drippings

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Beef drippings

Postby mark111757 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:31 am

Caught part of Saturday morning. Jury is out. A little too laid back for me as compared to the old saturday kitchen.

I thought I heard someone mention beef drippings. Would that be the same as or similiar to lard here in the States. Do a limited net search has so far been inconclusive. So I hope you wonder folks can help.

Thanks in advance!!

Re: Beef drippings

Postby Petronius » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:48 am

Lard is rendered down pig fat, dripping is beef fat from the roast - I think.

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:54 am

I'd agree with Petronius as to how I think of beef dripping. James Martin and others used to swear by it for added flavour (and colour, which veg oil doesn't give unless much used so ought to be discarded) if cooking deep fried chips or battered fish, roast potatoes and the like. However, that isn't refined lard since refining deliberately removes flavour.

Pork "lard" for baking is also the tasteless refined sort whereas pork dripping (like beef dripping) would be the drippings IMO and might have some cartilage jelly "gravy" blobs resulting after reducing down i.e. boiling off or straining off all watery cooking liquid and meat juices so just the fat and jelly remain.

I don't know what is sold or how it's named in the US. Beef or pork dripping is what a home cook would finish up with, not refined lard, if that helps.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:02 am

Dripping is ambiguous IMHO

When I was a child you could buy blocks of beef dripping, that is rendered white beef fat, from the butcher, and probably still can in some regions though not as far as I know in Stokey. It was used mainly for roast potatoes and for frying chips. Some fish and chip shops also used it for deep frying, and I think it had other uses too.

I think it may be known commercially as tallow in the USA? It really is just the bovine equivalents of commercial pork lard.

Still available in some supermarkets

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/288354065

But I think when most people say beef dripping these days they do mean the drippings from a roast

So it depends on context, and the recipe which a British chef means

Beef drippings

Postby mark111757 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:31 am

I have seen lard sold in 454g packs like butter is here in the states.

Here is one brand sold in the states

210138.jpg
210138.jpg (86.51 KiB) Viewed 3215 times

Thanks for the input

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:40 am

That's the stuff, used mainly in pastry (pie crust)

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:47 am

My mum also used lard for roasting potatoes, as well as for making pastry.

I use dripping for roast potatoes, at least the fat layer of the dripping. I will also used a little of the fat and any jellified stock underneath as a savoury spread on bread.

'Bread and dripping' was commonplace when I was a child but is now much neglected, ostensibly on health grounds but really for socio-economic reasons.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:52 am

I used to like dripping from a roast, including as much jelly as possible, on hot toast, the heat made the fat and jelly kind of melt into each other

Postby Alexandria » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:50 pm

According to Oxford Bilingual English Spanish Dictionary, lard is a type of fat ( porc, vegetable, lamb, beef ) and Beef drippings are the juices of a beef roast or other cut of beef which are expelled when cooking or roasting ..

There are uncountable types of lard ( fat sources) including: Butter, Olive Oil, Porc fat, Lamb fat, vegetable fat or shortening and beef fat etcetra ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:56 pm

@ Mark,

The last time we were in Manhattan for a Travel Tourism Convention, there is or was a tiny corner European Farmer´s Market on Avenue of The Americas ( 6th Avenue ) and West 9th or West 10th Street. They carried Italian Olives in brine in oak barrels, cheeses, charcuterie from Italy, Spain and France.

Another suggestion would be to contact the oldest Italian Sweet Shop and Deli called: Ferrara´s in Little Italy .. They carry Pecorino Sardo ( Sardinian Sheep´s Cured Cheese ) so they might have guanciale .. Or Zabar´s ..

As memory serves .. It was a few years ago .. :chrissytree1 :chrissytree1
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:59 pm

Lard is fat from the abdomen of a pig that is rendered and clarified for use in cooking.

Butter, Olive Oil, Lamb fat, vegetable fat or shortening and beef are not lard.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Alexandria wrote:According to Oxford Bilingual English Spanish Dictionary, lard is a type of fat ( porc, vegetable, lamb, beef ) and Beef drippings are the juices of a beef roast or other cut of beef which are expelled when cooking or roasting ..

I think the bilingual dictionary is losing something in translation, lard is as Pampy says pure pork fat (unless used as an insult to an overweight person! Common usage when being rude or comic)

Oxford English Dictionary says Fat from the abdomen of a pig that is rendered and clarified for use in cooking.

And we have established that you can buy pure beef dripping in UK supermarkets, so it exists apart from roasting, though the short version of OED only mentions the roasts

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:31 pm

I imagine mark111757 probably has the answer to his question as what chefs on UK TV mean by beef dripping. Personally I wondered about the wording "With hydrogenated lard" on the Morrell's Snow Cap lard block so spent a while last night finding out more, as you do.

I learned that the Armour brand of US lard had a tiny amount of fully hydrogenated lard (0.02%) and that that would include an even tinier amount of trans-fat (partially hydrogenated) as a result of the hydrogenation process, so in other words nothing to worry about. (The BHT and BPA on the label are apparently stabilisers so it doesn't go rancid and again nothing to worry about.) I imagine Morell's is similar as it's a best-selling brand apparently. Incidentally, in the US if a fat or oil is partially hydrogenated it has to be stated thus on the label, although in some states it is banned outright. Apparently, if fully hydrogenated it becomes saturated fat which is OK; it is the partial sort that's the problem one. Interestingly it's not banned in the UK, merely discouraged. (Our government doesn't like to upset big business don'tcha know.)
---

@ Badger's Mate who says:
Badger's Mate wrote:...[clip]...

'Bread and dripping' was commonplace when I was a child but is now much neglected, ostensibly on health grounds but really for socio-economic reasons.

Yes, quite. It's wrongly maligned now IMO as we need carbs, fat and salt (as sprinkled on) so it still is healthy - assuming it's not the only thing eaten every day. Mind you, processed foods all with added fat, salt and sugar didn't really exist then.

NB: If using home-made or butchers' proper dripping, take off any jelly before using to fry or roast as it will melt and spit/splutter like mad :o Think oven cleaner ;)

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Nothing nicer than bread dipped into the fat froma Sunday roast beef. I still can't resist doing it on the very rare occasions we have a beef roast,

I make shortcrust pastry with half lard (saindoux in France) and butter. I have been told it is good.

These days I prefer goose fat for my roasties

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:01 pm

We've always got goose fat in the New Year, so that's what we roast spuds in for the first few weeks. More, if I remember to portion some fat in the freezer.

Dripping toast has always been a known dish, they still do it at St John as part of some dishes iirc, but it was always bread and dripping at home. That's what I still do.

FWIW, bread & turkey dripping on Boxing morning is my favourite bit of the turkey. :thumbsup

Postby Luca » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:57 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I used to like dripping from a roast, including as much jelly as possible, on hot toast, the heat made the fat and jelly kind of melt into each other

My father used to love that on toasted white plain bread with salt and pepper. I rarely make a beef roast nowadays but when I do, I love the combination on toasted sourdough with Maldon ( or similar) and black pepper. I used it for roasting parsnips and potatoes in the past but like Joan, I prefer goose fat nowadays.

Postby Suffs » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I used to like dripping from a roast, including as much jelly as possible, on hot toast, the heat made the fat and jelly kind of melt into each other

Yummity yum yum! I love it ... there is nothing quite as tasty :yum

Postby Amyw » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:40 pm

I've never had dripping on toast, though may have to rectify this after reading this thread. My grandparents always used to keep little ramekins of leftover fat from the roast in their fridge for dripping sandwiches

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:34 pm

I cooked roast beef last Sunday and I just couldn't esist dipping a piece of bagueete in the juices and putting it back in the oven to crisp up. Consequently I couldn't eat ll of my lunch. It was so delicious.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox