Register

mince pies

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: mince pies

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:37 pm

I have to have, very willingly, a mincepie(maince pee) session tomorrow. I need to do a village and friends distribution on Sunday.

Postby Petronius » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:28 am

Always loved minced pies, then discovered the joys of just having the mincemeat part on toast. Why bother with all the pastry stuff! :?: :D

Now OH doesn't make her own mincemeat, we buy Waitrose or M&S's luxury product - open the lid and the brandy just hits you. That on toast - divine. :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:36 am

strictly, well done on the home made.
I had one at Valerie Patisserie, that has won a taste award. Horribly sweet, it made by front crown tooth ache.

Getting stuck in again, Joan.
You are a trooper.

And Dennis. I've had many things on toast, but mincepie-sensa-pastry is not one of them.
Yet.

Best one so far, House of Fraser. Only 8 more mince pie tasting days to Christmas .......

Postby Pampy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Many thanks for your kind words, Lush and Clare - it was a while ago that Mum died but these things stay with you forever. I'm lucky to have fabulous memories of her and she taught me so much.
On the maince pees (love that, Joan!) - I saw an article somewhere recently that was about the healthiness of them (but who's bothered at Christmas?!) - apparently, the cheapest ones are the most healthy - Asda's at 89p for 6.

Postby Amyw » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:47 pm

Went to the gym today and they had laminated cards, with different festive treats , such as mince pies , with the number of calories they contain and the amount of exercise you have to do to burn them off . Thoroughly depressing !!

I'm not a mince pie fan, but my mum always briefly heats them, removes the pastry lid, then adds a dollop of clotted cream on top, so it starts to run into the mincemeat

Postby Renée » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:18 pm

Yes, my gym, David Lloyd, had the very same cards! I've read so much over the past few days about making the Christmas meals healthy, but I really don't care on Christmas Day!

Postby jeral » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:22 pm

The question is whether people can gain Christmas weight and lose it shortly afterwards or are unfortunate enough to be stuck with any weight they gain. I'm in the lucky category, but I do feel for those who aren't, where I suppose volume is the important consideration. I wonder if you can put self discipline in a tin, like Scotch Mist ;)

Postby Amyw » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:30 pm

My attitude towards calories at Christmas is sod it. :limbobanana . To be fair after drinking and eating lots of loveliness over the festive period. I tend to then want to eat much lighter healthier meals anyway, so it kind of balances out

Postby Pampy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Mine too, Amy :wino :eating-birthday-cake :klingonbanana

Postby Petronius » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:39 am

The only connection between Calories and Christmas is the letter 'C', well yes there's a little 'i' and 's', but not worth worrying about.

Amyw, please ask your Gym, whose mince pies? Without giving you the full list there are pies with 108 and all the way to 497. Avoid calories by having mincemeat on toast.

Can't recommend Waitrose's bog standard in a box mince pies. Too much pastry - needed cream because they were on the dry side. See more calories. :gonzo

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 am

Calories in a mince pie! Sad or what.
Most people would just have the one, so it should be too big a deal.

Gym is more about get moving. So it would be better to plot simply how may calories are spent, on a long walk or cycle ride perhaps.
But not vs food that has to be eaten.

Ah well.

I heated 2 mini ones up yesterday - my gawd the first was molten as it went all the way down.
But I do like them warm.
Dennis, try the mini pies at Waitrose, they're good.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:56 am

Wotcha, all!

Here in Mexico city, I don't see any chance of making mince pies. No chiles involved.
Back in Venezuela, I have to admit that I did, once, make mince pies.
They went down , well, as if my mum had turned up at my stag party :oops:

So no mince pies here!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Mince pies do seem to be a British 'thing'. I work with a couple of Ghanians who are lovely and will eat anything, but even they are a bit suspicious of mince pies!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Ha ha ha.
Love the stag party expression. In fact, I saw a large group of young chaps and their Christmas jumpers out on a pub crawl last night.
And one poor sad sorry bloke at the back was with his girlfriend.

Awkward!

I made a Sunday Lunch for my spanish landlady and some chums.
They were terribly bored by it. Especially the gravy, they didn't get that at all.

Postby mark111757 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:16 pm

This popped up on my FB news feed Saturday and thought I would share...

http://blog.english-heritage.org.uk/rec ... ince-pies/

Sounds good with the lamb in it. Pity I did not get it until Xmas Eve day

Postby jeral » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:59 pm

mark111757, thanks very much for that mince pie link - very interesting. Do you ever get the urge to make a pie with pastry top and bottom?

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox