Register

Gluten Free bread recipe please

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Gluten Free bread recipe please

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 am

Nope, never made one.

I'm taking bite size pittas to the art school Xmas party next week. I know of at least 2 celiac people who will be there.
One was absolutely promised something was GF, and fell into a terrible mess immediately after eating.
He hasn't recovered the 2 stone he lost.

But I'd still like to make GF bread.

Any recipes that anyone has tried. Not spelt.
It needs to be absolutely GF ............

Or indeed a rethink. I'm making vegan for one tray, and chicken for another mini pittas.
Any other sort of "pitta wrapping".

Re: Gluten Free bread recipe please

Postby Petronius » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:25 am

This is the one I made recently Gill,

https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/rice-bread

But that only made a loaf, I doubt if it would be any good for a wrap or similar.

Would this work, though I haven't tried it?

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/ric ... kes-304233

Postby Petronius » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:33 am

I'd suggest you read some of the reviews before tackling the pancake recipe - there appears to be a lot of tweaking going on!

Postby Suelle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:57 pm

I've got a good gluten-free pastry recipe, if that helps. My gluten-free friend, who I was cooking for, now uses my recipe.

I'd be wary about baking gluten-free bread - it's notoriously difficult!

Another thought - I believe you can buy gluten-free wraps - perhaps you could use those, cut into wedges or even stamped out into circles with a pastry cutter.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Petronius » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:40 pm

Suelle wrote:I'd be wary about baking gluten-free bread - it's notoriously difficult!

Obviously a case of, 'when ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise'!

I didn't know what I was doing Suelle, so just carried on regardless. Didn't enjoy making it and left it alone to do its thing - which didn't seem to be anything at all. :? To me it was more a crumpet flavour than anything else.

Can you post your GF recipe, so that next time my friends what a loaf I can test it on them? Thanks.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:53 pm

Thank you so much Sue and Dennis.

Yes please, have you got the pastry recipe. That would be do-able.

Wraps might be an alternative too. I have rice noodle Vietnamese wraps that I thought were very easy once you knew how.
And the GFree diners will feel safer eating them.
Rather than relying on my assurances. They can see for themselves.

I'm keen to keep my dish offering "free" as we have veggies too.
Possibly vegan as well if the owner's husband comes.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:10 pm

@ The Guilt Painter,

Your Pita Appetisers look fabulous ..

Chef Jamie Oliver has 2 lovely Gluten Free Bread recipes:

1) Gluten Free Focaccia - crisp and thin .. ( can be eaten like a pizza with toppings )

2) Brown Bread Gluten Free Bread .. ( can be sliced into "canapés " )

I would google, Gluten Free Bread - Jamie Oliver ..

Both have 4 steps and are relative very simple ..

Good Luck, have a lovely day .. :chrissytree1
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Suelle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:45 pm

The recipe for the GF pastry is here, Gill, along with some notes on working with it:

https://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -tart.html

Leave out the sugar for savoury pastry, and use butter if it doesn't need to be dairy-free, obviously!

Petronius - I'm terribly bad at any yeast baking, so don't even make ordinary bread, let alone tackle GF loaves.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:46 pm

Sue that's a beautiful tart you've made.
Thank you for the pastry recipe.

Alexandria, that's a lovely suggestion too.
I've seen a Paul Hollywood celebrity chef recipe , that appears to work (as in puff up to be filled).

Will have time at the weekend to play.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/glut ... read_09625

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:55 pm

I was tempted to try some gluten-free pittas from Tesco just now, for the sake of this thread, but at £2.50 for 4, is there really so much difference between Tesco standard 55g pittas at 12.5p each and these GF ones at 62.5p each, five times the price? All I can see is fast bucks being made because they have a captive market.

The reason I was tempted to try them is that they look very normal-pittaish, so I want to see if that is just a skin-deep illusion.

Is it so very long ago that you could have bought a whole loaf for 62.5p?

I'll post feedback when I've tried the pittas, won't be today as pitta-free meal is already planned.

EDIT: At 25p for the flour, 15p yeast, 1p sug/salt, 5p leccy, my 125g homemade rolls cost under 12p each.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:01 pm

There is a brand in the co op Sakkarin.
That Tony prefers to normal pittas. They don't go brittle when toasted. Genius, or something like that.

He likes the taste more.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:14 pm

Maybe I like the crispiness of the normal ones! Not too crispy though, they are easily over-toasted. These are the ones I bought:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... lsrc=aw.ds

Normal Pitta Ingredients:
Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Water, Yeast, Salt, Preservative (Calcium Propionate)

These GFree but practically everything else included ones:
Water, Rice Flour, Potato Flour, Corn Starch, Tapioca Starch, Buckwheat Flour, Corn Flour, Chia Flour, Glycerol, Inulin, Bamboo Fibre, Apple Juice, Sourdough (Fermented Quinoa, Rice and Corn Flour), Pea Fibre, Psyllium Husk, Pea Protein, Yeast, Salt, Thickening Agent (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose), Rapeseed Oil, Raising Agent (Glucono-Delta-Lactone), Acids (Citric Acid, Malic Acid, Tartaric Acid)

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:47 am

when you try them, Sakks my question is do you prefer them?
Tony does, and I thought they were rather good too.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:16 pm

I've tried one, toasted in toaster, and it tastes very, very close to the real thing, although it is strange in that the sides of the "pocket" it makes are very consistent, as if it has been rolled in two halves of very consistent thickness and stuck together at the edges. Not sure if I've described that well!

Good effort at reproducing a pitta I'd say. 9/10?

Postby Alexandria » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:13 pm

@Sakkarin,

I have no gluten problems however, out of curiousity, 1 day I had picked up a box of pasta and a loaf of bread, both gluten free to read the ingredients, and I was very surprised to find what you had found.

An enormous amount of chemicals, assorted foreign grains (quinoa etcetra ) and "unknowns to me" and perhaps to most who are not on gluten free diets ..

I also was a bit amazed to see the prices on these items !

Quite a price hike to say the least ..

Have a nice weekend and a very wonderful holiday ahead and a Happy New Year too ..

:rudolph1
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:45 am

To be honest, it's hardly surprising that gluten free products are so expensive to buy, because they need to contain 2-3 times as many ingredients to make the chemistry work and to make it palatable to eat. The posts that Sakkarin and Alexandria have posted, as well as what I have either seen online or on the TV confirm this. Thank goodness neither of us Strictlies are either coeliac or have chosen to go gluten free for modern reasons.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:17 am

I saw a documentary, saying if you are not allergic, then do not indulge in GF products on a regular basis.
The chemicals (as we can see in the list) used to stabilize the food in the sufferers stomach, do regular eaters no good at all.
Steer clear is the message.

But the products aren't half bad I think.

Postby Petronius » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:54 am

Normal bread; wheat flour, yeast, water, salt.

Gluten free bread; rice flour, yeast, water, xanthum gum, salt.

Why the rest? Or is the list a generic one they use for all their GF products plus the words 'may include'?

Yes, gluten free for a normal gut makes no sense at all but then, a film star says it works for her, what other information do we need?

Postby jeral » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:04 am

There seems little doubt to me that in the UK we eat too much wheat (every meal tends to have some) and gluten, especially as gluten is extracted for use in sauces, ketchups, yoghurts etc that need a suspension or stabilising/thickening agent.

The reason for higher cost is the need both for extracting gluten to regulation minimal standards for flour, oats, spelt, barley, but also the need for a totally separate factory to avoid airborne cross-contamination.

It's the airborne stuff in field or factory that contaminates oats which don't otherwise have it. Spelt and barley does, but in a lesser amount than wheat that some coeliacs can tolerate but acute ones can't tolerate any. so g-f ones are available.

For hospitality, the thing is, if acute, one has to be able to trust food or just won't eat it. Non-coeliac cooks tend to add things which seem normal and innocent because it doesn't occur to them that they might not be, not knowing that gluten is in all sorts of things.

Some people, confusingly, have a more straightforward wheat intolerance.

The huge mixture of ingredients in free-from bread is because it's trying to emulate taste (or more particularly a neutral taste) and texture (doesn't fall apart). I can't think of anything in them that's "bad" other than that they'll be refined having no bran of their own and obviously added wheat bran as in most brown bread is not an option.

HTH, but if it doesn't and serving others, just stick to fresh foods that can't have been contaminated. Or buy Genius brand bread, which most say really is the best thing since sliced bread in G-F terms.

Postby jeral » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:29 am

On vegan, I was pleased to order food from a restaurant over the phone last week and they really knew what was or wasn't for items on their menu. I'm impressed. Maybe a sign of the times if not having to go and ask the chef or cook or whoever examines the packet labels, lol, or a sign of being a from-scratch restaurant. We couldn't have some things (ghee/milk), but, like gluten, it's in things we (ordering) wouldn't have expected it to be.

Luckily, being vegan is a choice (being coeliac isn't).

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox