Register

Foodie Ventures!

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Foodie Ventures!

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:17 am

I couldn't justify the space for a big mixer such as a Chef or Kitchen Aid, so we bought a Prospero a few years ago. It has served us well and hope yours does likewise, Strictly. :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:18 am

Me neither, but I have zero space for the Prospero. Shame as my husband is desperate for present ideas from me this year.
Enjoy yourself, Stricters. I'm dead envious - although I confess I do have a Bodum hand held beater that makes my teeth rattle when on setting number 6.
Love the sound of the choco cake.

I've never been adventurous in the pudding department.
Although I can turn out a jolly good cake. I'd be a disaster in Bake Off, my repertoire of skills is savoury.

Sue, you should love getting back into bread making.
I eased off when I cut down on bread drastically and do miss the pottering. It forced me lovingly into the kitchen daily.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:00 pm

Thank you Badger's Mate for the good review of the Prospero. It is a lovely compact size considering the wattage. We managed to squeeze it onto the kitchen work top near a plug socket once Mr Strictly shuffled a few other things around.

I also made a white soda bread yesterday for the first time which was lovely. The crust is wonderful and the loaf is perfect with a soup or stew. I used Paul Hollywood's Isrish Stout soda bread but modified it slightly by mainly reducing all the quantities slightly and adding a Czech lager and light soft brown sugar instead of Guinness and dark brown sugar. Mr Strictly gave it the :thumbsup and I definitely prefer it to the wholemeal ones I've made before.
Last edited by strictlysalsaclare on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pampy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:01 pm

I got a Kenwood Chef with various attachments in 1974 and used it a lot but over the years it was used less and less, although it always accompanied me to the various places I've lived, including The Netherlands. It also spent 12 months in a storage facility. I started to doubt its safety so eventually stopped using it completely. I tried to find somewhere where I could have it refurbished but didn't have any success until about 18 months ago, when I found a company who would renovate it - but with no promises that any damaged parts could be replaced, due to its age. It came back looking like new with a completely clean bill of health and I've started to use it again.
Going back to the original topic of the thread...I've made the usual, and unusual, pickles, jams/marmalades, chutneys plus things like spiced pineapple vodka, blackcurrant and raspberry liqueurs. For a number of years, I used to make big hampers to give as Christmas gifts. Have made pasta (IMHO, not worth the faff for 1 person), lots of different types of bread, yoghurt, chocolate truffles (a massive hit with the family!). I occasionally debone a chicken and fillet fish. All in all, I think I've tried my hand at a lot of things, but these days, no longer do a lot of them.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:25 pm

@ Strictly Salsa Clara,

Congratulations .. Use your new kitchen friend in good health ..

Have a nice evening and a lovely holiday ..

:chrissytree1
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:48 am

Morning all

I used my new mixer yesterday to finish off a Christmas cake I was making for Mr Strictly's supervisor. It did such a wonderful job, because the because the beating mechanism moves at an angle rather than just in a level circle. The easiest way I can describe it is that's it's like one of those waltzer or the pirate ship fairground rides (I think). Therefore it picks up any mix that is in the base of the bowl, which has a great taper on it. This was one of the main selling points of it for me.

Postby Petronius » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:54 pm

You're certainly having fun! :birthday-present-and-cake :eating-birthday-cake

The angle of the mixing shaft is certainly different. What was the weight of the soda bread - I thought the device was restricted to 500g for using the dough hook, one reason we didn't get it?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi Petronius

I am having fun with it. However, I did make the soda bread by hand as there was only a little light stirring involved. Apologies for not making that clearer in my earlier post!

Postby Amyw » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:36 pm

What a lovely thread to feed about everyone's foodie adventures. I used to love reading about your adventures on the old Beeb board Gill

Postby Renée » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:59 pm

Yes and so did I Amy!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:26 am

Hey, back at you, Amy.

We did and do indeed, Renee. Thanks to our place here.

Postby Petronius » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:43 am

Mention of boning a turkey reminds me when OH had a kitchen shop, I'd help out at Christmas. One day a customer asked how to bone a turkey. I took her through it and after Christmas she came back and thanked me, it all went perfectly.

I bet you've guessed already I've never boned a turkey in my life! :shock:

We don't do anything like what we used to, but it's lovely reading these posts just to enjoy people doing interesting things with food.

It's not so long ago I went through my 'How to File' and came across a series of photos from the BBC board posted by Gill to help me with bread. If I remember rightly, Gill apologised for the photos as she was having to hold the camera with one hand whilst the other was in the dough. Genius I thought. :clap

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:53 am

Ha ha ha.
I do remember photoshopping in a fake hand, Dennis, to illustrate something where 2 hands were required.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox