Register

Sweet Risotto with Pomegranates

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Sweet Risotto with Pomegranates

Postby Alexandria » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:22 am

During the holidays for a twist, we enjoy sweet ravioli filled with chestnuts and dried & fresh fruits and sweet risotto with fresh fruit ..

Here is a tiny récipe to enjoy .. Has anyone done same ?

Sweet Risotto with Pomegranates: ( for 6 people )

120 grams of Italian ecological Carnaroli rice ( or any short grained Italian Rice of your choice )
500 ml. Coconut milk or Almond milk
500 ml. whole ecological milk or any whole milk of your choice
1 lemon for grated zest
75 grams of raw natural ecological sugar or any sugar of your choice
300 grams of pomegrante seeds ( without white pith )

1) Combine the two milks in a large glass bowl ..
2) Add the grated lemon zest to the glass bowl ..
3) Whisk and then add the rice (not cooked ) ..
4) Now, put in a food processor or with a stand up mixer, combine or blend together.
5) Place the mixture in a medium to large sauce pan and simmer until the rice is tender (approx. 20 to 25 minutes )
6) Add the sugar to the saucepan ..
7) Stir in one direction until well combined.
8) Take a few molds or glasses and place on your work space ..
9) Let the concoction cool at room temperature and place the rice in each glass, layering with fresh pomegranate seeds, rice, pomegranate seeds with seeds on top to decorate ..
10) Place in the refrig for 3 hours to set ..

Magic1 Have a lovely weekend ..
Last edited by Alexandria on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Sweet Risotto with Pomegranates

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:56 pm

One, or rather 2 problems here.

First for some unknown reason there are no pomegranates to be seen here this year - usually widely available but this year we are being told they are all being sent to Northern Europe because they are so fashionable.

Second I am allergic to coconut and I hardly ever eat pasta. Riz au lait though, I love
The Danes make something similar for the 24th with a whole almond hiddden in it.

I am sure the bio/organic ingredients are not essential though.

Postby Amyw » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:35 pm

I agree about the explicitly organic ingredients stated. Is this recipe just cut and pasted from a book online. Might be nice to credit the original source , just as bit of online courtesy if that the case ??

Postby Alexandria » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:50 am

@ Amy,

Due to the large amount of Transgenetic food (Gmos ) and chemical additives that are in existence, I only use ecological or Bio products ..

If you are interested in preparing this simple sweet rice dessert with other products, then this is your choice ..

I have been preparing this dish for years in Barcelona and we are very fond of it .. It also Works with a wide variety of fruits or dried fruits as well ..

It was my grandmother´s dish and my mother´s ( both who still prepare it ) so there is no Authorship Copyright Credit required ..
Last edited by Alexandria on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:54 am

Joan Bunting,

I had no idea that pomegrantes were unavailable in southern France ..

We get them from Granada, as Granada is Pomegrante in Spanish ..

They are very popular during November and December in Spain ..

Sorry to hear this however, this sweetend rice can be prepared with any fruit of choice or dried fruits too ..

I had stated one can prepare with almond or coconut milk .. I use almond milk ..

Have a lovely lovely holiday ahead ..

:chrissytree1

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:34 am

I have to admit I tend to ignore most references to organic ingredients in any recipe, either in a book, magazine or online. Even though Mr Strictly and I are now both working, we cannot afford many organic or free range ingredients apart from eggs. I'm not anti-organic but in certain circumstances finances come before ethics, and it's a lifestyle choice I have had to make. Put it this way, I do not wish to go bankrupt for the sake of insisting on eating only free range meat for example. But horses for courses as someone once said!

Postby Alexandria » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:12 pm

Strictly Salsa Clare,

I believe in, " each to his or her own " ..

Have a wonderful weekend and holiday season ahead ..

:chrissytree1

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:24 pm

I'm the same. We can all make our own lifestyle choices for whatever reason. I just don't like to be preached to. :)

Postby Amyw » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:10 pm

I don't often come across recipes that specify organic ingredients and that combined with the way it was written made me think it was from a more official source.matbe this was literally lost in translation :lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... anet-thin/

Opening up the debate more, I find this interesting reading. For animal welfare , yes,free range meat is better, although organic meat is different. A friend of mine runs a small farm and is very anti the whole organic movement , and says it's more connected to a general lifestyle movement that people aspire to

Postby Alexandria » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:55 pm

@Amy W.

We ( my family and I ) choose to eat ecologically or under protected bio natural farm or sea to table products ..

This is not uncommon in the Mediterranean including Italy, Spain and France .. We are 100% against transgenetics or Gmos .. and we are highly against products that have been highly altered under the processes of industrialisation and contain excesses of chemicals harmful to the human organism ..

In Italy, there is an enormous movement wherein the lands are marked " Protected Lands", which is exactly how it translates, and this means "Bio or Ecological or Organic" grown lands.

Now, there are contrasts depending on country, between the words, Bio, Natural, Ecological and Organic as well ..

Getting back to this récipe, it is simply a sweet rice pudding which it has been called abroad, nothing more or nothing less .. If you make rice pudding and wish to prepare in your own manner with products of your choice, this is fine ..

I just posted a recipe .. You have the freedom to eat as you wish and so do I ..

Have a nice holiday season ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

Postby Amyw » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:44 pm

I'm not criticising your choices but part of forum discussion is comparing different points of view and I think it's quite interesting to hear people's personal opinions of organic food and if they intentionally seek out organic choices while shopping

Postby Alexandria » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:43 pm

Amy,

Perhaps you should start a well researched separate thread on the topic of natural, bio, ecological and organic .. The advantages of each & perhaps disadvantages if there are any other than price ..

I am sure that most of the Members would be quite interested .. especially since Gmos are running rampart on European Soils due to the corruption of the pay offs ..

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:25 pm

I have been thinking of doing just that Alexandra.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:34 pm

@ Joan Bunting,

I think it is an exceptional idea ..

I hope that your friend shall pull through & recover from her difficult surgeries ..

Have a lovely holiday season ..

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox