Register

So, how did all our Big Feasts go then?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

So, how did all our Big Feasts go then?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Hello all

Happy Boxing Day to everyone. I hope you all had a good Christmas and enjoyed the Dinner, company, pressies and TV offerings!

We really enjoyed our pheasant yesterday. I pot-roasted it with cider, leeks, bacon rosemary, bay leaves garlic and some chicken stock. The gravy was incredible, and I didn't bother to strain it either. I did hoik out the bay leaves and rosemary stem though! I served it with roast spuds, parsnips and carrots, a green veg medley of spring greens, peas and green beans. We also had a mushroom and rosemary stuffing ball each with it.

Our pudding was a festive version of bread and butter pudding, made with a fruit panettone and some of my mincemeat. I also added a little double cream and used a duck egg for a little bit of luxury.

Present-wise, it was a bit of a bookfest chez Strictly. I bought Mr Strictly Brian Blessed's latest tome - There's a Panther in my Kitchen. He spoilt me by giving me the two books written by Julian Norton from Channel 5's 'Yorkshire Vet' documentary series which I love. He also gave me the Hairy Bikers' Mediterranean cookbook. I knew about one of the Julian Norton books but he gave me the other one as a surprise. We will both be able to enjoy each others pressies. I also got a little spa toiletry set from one of my colleagues, and there is another little pressie to come from one of my other workmates when I see her later on this week.

As usual in the Strictly household, it was just the two of us, hence the pheasant and not anything larger such as a goose or whatever - I don't do turkey at Christmas.

As far as the TV goes, we watched The Yorkshire Vet Christmas Special on catch up, followed by Doctor Who and Strictly Come Dancing. We will also catch up with Victoria and The Great British Bake Off at some point this week, probably tomorrow.

Re: So, how did all our Big Feasts go then?

Postby Petronius » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:31 pm

So pleased for you Strictly, our day was just lovely, everything we wanted it to be and hope all of you had a good day.

This morning had a bracing walk at Hunstanton, back for bubble and squeak. We've been left alone in a comfy lounge with the tele off. OH is resting her eyes. ;)

I’ll post again once we're home and recovered! :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:13 pm

Had a fish feast at a friend's on the Eve, then had a brunch of scrambled egg and smoked salmon yesterday, roast duck with all the trimmings later, and Christmas pud

I had a Waitrose 12 month matured Christmas pud, really good, recommended

The cream had gone lumpy as it had become too cold (not off) rescued it with my stick blender, it ended up just like the extra thick double cream you can buy, though it started quite runny. Worth doing (used the whisk attachment of the Bamix, as for mayo)

Made proper sage and onion stuffing for the first time, following Mary Berry's recipe, very nice, baked it in a dish and the texture was great

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:22 am

Our " Big Feast" was on Christmas Eve. Croquetas de Bacalao (Cod fritters), Roast pork, Hallacas (Tamales, Venezuelan style), Pan de Jamon ( Ham Bread) and Chicken salad. We arrived home at 4am...... :rudolph1 :rudolph1

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:24 pm

I wasn't going to bother. In the end I plumped for a free range roast chicken, with the usual trimmings; sprouts, carrots, roast taties and roast parsnips. I made a really garlicky herby buttery rub for the chicken, and despite having loads of duck and goose fat I went with my heart and had buttered roast veg.

Homemade Mince Pies (as in the "Maud" thread) to follow, with loads of chantilly cream, and washed down with a 2007 bottle of Chardonnay.

Tesco Finest pork sausages in homemade bread for supper.

Nothing really exotic, but it was all fab. Definite dairy overload though, there was half a pound of butter in the mint spies, and I've just finished the last one...

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:31 pm

The day after Boxing Day turns out to be Soup day

Oriental clear stock from the duck carcase, lentil and veg from the gammon stock and bits and pieces

Postby Alexandria » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Pleased to see that everyone is enjoying or had enjoyed their holidays ..

24th: Seven Fish Dishes, all the size of appetiser portions ..

25th: Mom, My Mom in Law and I prepared Chef Gordon´s (Ramsay) Beef Wellington ( 3 of them ) .. A huge hit amongst the family members ..

26th: Keeping it light, a brunch style lunch with Gravlax and a stunner salad of kress, rocket, radicchio and a lovely light Tarragona bio Evoo Green and Italian Modena .. There were some home made Tapas ranging from Cabracho Terrine ( Scorpio Fish ), grilled Gambones ( jumbo rock red prawns called Crangon along the Cadiz Coast westward to Portugal ) and fresh steamed mussels in white wine ..
There was also home made from scratch Crèpe Suzettes by one of my daughter in laws who owns a Creperie Bistro .. A marvelous cheese platter and fresh fruit ..

27th: A home made Ceci e Fagioli, Chickpeas and tiny pasta shell soupy stew which hit the spot and leftovers .. Coldest day we have had .. Brutal winds ..

Have a wonderful week and Happy New Year ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:11 pm

Snap Stokey, sort of! We had a jellied ham and pheasant terrine with pickles, cheese, toasted baguette slices and crackers for lunch today, and we'll be having a Festive Minestrone, using up all the rest of the little bits of ham and pheasant tonight

Postby jeral » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:42 pm

A vegan feast here, cooked by two vegans who banned me from the kitchen for a few hours... Grub was lovely including usual roasted veg, as were the home-made mince and pastry for the spies with brandy cashew cream, plus a vegan Christmas cake to boot. All extremely impressive :) It's the first time in ages I haven't been chief cook and bottle washer so a lovely change.

karadekoolaid: Always good to hear from you as too far away here to learn what's going on meaningfully. I made your ham roleau bread after you posted about it last year and although I'm non-meat, it went down very well with others. This week, I chucked out some decidedly gone-off bananas and got told off as they were apparently being saved for banana bread. Oops. I'm persuading them to make date and walnut instead.

Good to hear all going well for others :)

Postby Pampy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:51 am

My Christmas meal was a small sandwich! I hadn't planned on doing much because I was cat-sitting for my sister and her husband while they went to my brother's but on the 23rd, I started with a really bad tummy bug and am only just getting over it. Fortunately, I've frozen a turkey crown so I'll use that to have a celebratory meal at New Year.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:04 pm

Oh, that's a shame Pampy
Enjoy your turkey when you get to it

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Sorry to hear you were not well Pampy. Hope you enjoy new year better.

As you know we ate in a local restaurant on the 25th. It was lovely both in food and atmosphere, I have never had snails as a Christmas starter before but they were fabulous
In the evening we had breakfast - truffled scrambled eggs with sourdough toast

I cooked a gammon joint on 23rd so 26th was our usual cold cuts and salads with HM pickles and chutney and the tradtional chips :yum

Our next 2 special meals are due to be NYE and NYD. First a diner a deux as we usually do. I'm attempting Lobster Newburg - we always like a blast from the past on the last evening of the year. I would love oysters first but M hates them so much he can't even watch anyone eating them so I am doing lightly pan-fried fresh foie gras with a sweet wine sauce.

!st We are having friends to lunch but most will be prepared ahead.
Carrot and coriander veloute with escabeche mussel garnish

Venison port and Guisness casserole with pickled walnuts served with celariac and potato puree and trad briased red cabbage.

A selection of very special English cheeses, mostly from Northumberland

HM Christmas pudding with brandy butter or raspberry trifle.

Postby jeral » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:14 pm

Pampy, here's hoping you can shake it off soon plus that residual washed-out feeling. Porridge oats are good (bland/neutral, lots of vitamins) to fill you up when tummy is still iffy - or not if you don't like them ;)

Joanbunting, what a lovely variety of things you manage to think of in the first place, let alone conjure up! Hopefully your internet behaved (weatherwise) for Skyping.

As to New Year, luckily there's a high street close by so I can afford a couple of days to sort out what's in the fridge and freezer before deciding on what more to buy.

I'm quite fancying spicy, e.g. a variety of veg curries, so here's my pre-NY resolution: Sort out the overflowing spice/herb drawer before the bottom falls through :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:26 am

OOf, Rats - you're going for gold I see!! Well why not; that's what it's all about!

Our next big do is New Year's Eve. I suggested a night of eternal amuse-bouche/tapas, but today, D-I-L said she wanted traditional Vzlan food :?
If that's what she wants, that's what she'll get, prepared with lots of love and care!
( I might sneak in some smoked salmon, though! 8-) )

Postby Alexandria » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:01 am

Happy New Year Everyone ..

We do a traditional 3 course Fondue on the 31st and of course the 12 grape ceremony at 12am on the 31st into the 1st ..

Fondue to start: 7 cheeses, Kirsch Transparent Brandy .. With skewers of assorted bread cubes ..

Fondue Main: Filet Mignon of Beef on skewers served with Bernaise ..

Fondue Dessert: Black Chocolate with fresh cubed fruits and a home made almond flour Bizcocho diced in cubes ..

The 1st, my husband and I are flying direct to Italy for a week ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:21 am

Morning everyone.
Feeling better, Pampy?

Everything was very manageable chez noo. Until Tony insisted on going for a walk to revive the spirits. So I got a bit preoccupied about what I had to do to maintain relaxing prep and cooking.
Went fine though.

Minor hiccup.
Tony (again) suggested bucks fizz with our champagne breakfast. Noice!
But had a mental block, and put pineapple juice in it. OK I guess. It didn't ruin anything at all.

Did someone mention smoked salmon, Clive?!! We got ours from the Wye Valley.

Steak and chips - it is what it is, mine with bearnaise, Tony's with dijon.

He liked the veggie rice paper wraps, with kecap manis inside - no dipping involved

Haven't decided on the New Years Day meal yet.
About 12 people to feed.

Postby DEB » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Did the full works for the turkey, 2 types of stuffing, pigs in blankets and lots of veg. Lemon tart, pot au chocolate and mince tart. Now all eater or reformed and frozen.

For new year I am doing a casserole, most probably pheasant or Beef bourguignon, either cooked in advanced and reheated. Not only easier but is better after the flavours have had time to get to know each other. I will aim to do as much as possible in advanced and so be able to enjoy my guests.

Happy new year to all. :wino

Postby Pampy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:14 pm

Jeral - porridge oats - :vomit
I'm feeling much better now and starting to look forward to my belated Christmas dinner on Sunday.

Postby Petronius » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Really sorry for you Pampy - for our family Christmas there were a few colds about but nothing too nasty.

Our feasts went something like this;

Thursday, we ordered in a takeaway for six.

Friday, Cottage Pie or Fish Pie for eleven.

Saturday, Outside caterers, now nineteen of us – full house.

Sunday, Jacket Potato cheese, tuna and chilli something or other.

Monday, Traditional Christmas Lunch, Nanna's Christmas pudding - pre-cooked and eight minutes in the microwave. Commercial Lemon Torte remained untouched.

Tuesday, Bubble and Squeak, cold meat etc.

Wednesday, All of the above though hot (apart from cold meat).

When I've sorted out the photos I'll post again.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:12 pm

Spent Christmas in Bandit country (where The Outlaws live). We spoil each other on alternate years. Came back Thursday morning.

We had a couple of days at home trying to recover, then yesterday was Goose Day. I reckon I must have roasted in excess of 45 over the years.

Anyway, plenty of homegrown veg, HM stuffing and a raspberry trifle to finish. We get my aunt over, she used to have roast goose at Christmas when my uncle was alive. Her daughter came too and my late mum's toyboy helped to eat it and ran them around.

Tonight we're celebrating with friends - 3 couples, each providing a course and some booze.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox