Register

Mexican Street Market

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Mexican Street Market

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:56 pm

IMG_20180106_133423 (1).jpg
IMG_20180106_133423 (1).jpg (306.35 KiB) Viewed 2387 times

This stall sold nuts, grains, spices, salsas, chiles - about 20 varieties.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:36 am

I feel totally deprived.........................!

Glad you're having such a great time Clive!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:32 pm

Wow, proper chiles! Oh for a couple of fat handfuls of those anchos!

Postby QinNortham » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Clive, Mr Q was dribbling & drooling when he saw that pic!

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:54 pm

I'm working out how many tonnes I can get into my suitcase on the way back.... :birthday-dancer

Actually, I took this photo whilst talking to the owner, who was sitting on the floor sorting through a SACK of chilpotle chiles ( the smoked jalapeno). He was separating the perfect chiles from the not-quite-perfect ones. He said the perfect ones would be good for stuffing!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Careful though, the "customs reality" shows here are forever showing people being stung with huge fines for trying to bring food back into their countries when it's not allowed.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:00 pm

That's true for Europe, no doubt. Scary!
But for Venezuela, I'll just argue with the official and see who wins... :gonzo

Postby scullion » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:12 pm

i'd just take one or two of each for seed of the plain dried chillies and stock up on the smoked ones.

hint hint - i'm sure you could post some seed to cornwall!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:02 pm

Just a heads up for anyone who may have missed the first half of Rick Stein's Mexico series. BBC2 are repeating it at 7pm over the next few nights, starting from tonight. Although as the series finished last week...on the same channel at 9pm... the phrase 'Go home BBC2, you're drunk' springs to mind. I heard Steve Wright mention it on his radio show mentioned it today and thought he'd lost the plot!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09fg08n

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:27 am

@Karadekoolaide,

Wow .. What fun in those sacks ..

:limbobanana
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:40 am

Last night, I saw Rick Stone eating lots of tacos.
At breakfast, he put a final sauce on one of them that caught my ear.

7 chilli sauce.

Anyone take a stab at how that is made, or even know how it is made? Clive, you'd have no trouble getting the chillies!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:7 chilli sauce
What frustrated me about my first Mexican cookery book back in the 80s was that none of the chiles were available here, so you had guess what they might approximate to. Most of the recipes in it called for a mix of chiles, as per the piccy of the Mole recipe below, which has Mulato, Ancho, Pasilla and canned Chipotle. None with seven though! I suspect that's overkill. I don't mean by heat, as many of the Mex chiles are mild.

It wasn't until the proper chiles became available over here that I realised that there wasn't really a substitute for Ancho or Chipotle (or several other of the dark chiles) from what we had available here. It was a joyous foodie moment when I made my first authentic Mole.

ANGRY NOTE:
Ingredients list for Asda "Mexican style corn tortillas", main ingredient wheat flour and doesn't look like there's ANY masa harina, I'd have thought they'd have said so if there was. Cornflour is not masa. For heaven's sake, they've even snuck in some rice flour!:
Wheat Flour, Water, Cornflour , Humectant (Glycerol) , Rapeseed Oil , Dextrose , Wheat Gluten , Malic Acid , Raising Agent (Sodium Carbonates) , Salt , Rice Flour , Preservative (Potassium Sorbate).

P.S. I think the ground gloves at the bottom of column one are supposed to be authentic Mexican gloves made out of llama wool.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:03 pm

Gill:

I'm not surprised at all at the " 7 -chile sauce" . I was offered a "12-chile sauce" the other day and it was wonderful!
7 red chiles would be easy. 7 green might be jalapeno, de arbol, poblano, serrano, guero, banana pepper and habanero, mixed together with abundant tomatillo - the small green fruit which is NOT a green tomato.
The variety ( and creativity involved) of hot sauces is amazing. On the Taco Stalls which populate every other corner on Mexico City's streets, you'll always see green salsa, habanero salsa and a red salsa.
Two days ago, we were in a suburb of the city ( we went to see the Frida Kahlo museum) and the 3 hot sauces on the table were:
1) Chile oil with chiltepins
2) Oaxacan chile (didn't recognise the name) with grasshoppers - yep, ground-up " chapulines"!
3) Green, with habanero, serrano and tomatillo

these were all accompanied by a basket of blue corn tortillas: like thesehttps://previews.123rf.com/images/cokemomo/cokemomo1501/cokemomo150100016/35137838-homemade-blue-corn-tortilla-mexican-traditional-food-Stock-Photo.jpg

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:16 pm

Sakks:

I think I may have the same Mexican recipe book as you :gonzo

Thank goodness many of the authentic dried chiles are now available. They definitely make a difference, and there's no way to substitute the subtle, smoky flavours.
As for the moles, they have to be the Mexican invention [i]par excellence[i]. It seems every town and/or region has their own version. So far, I've had Mole from Yucatan, from Oaxaca, from Puebla, from the coast - every one slightly different. Go into the markets, and there are stalls which will sell you a variety. In the San Juan market, I spoke to an old lady who told me that HER mole ( which I tasted and was divine) had been there for over 25 years. She just kept adding more when the supply dwindled!
Typically, you'll find Mole Almendrado ( with almonds); Mole Dulce (sweet); Mole Poblano ( from Puebla); Mole Negro ( black); Mole con Ajonjoli ( sesame seeds) and Pipian (A green "mole" made with pumpkin and sunflower seeds). There are dozens of variations, however. We were at a restaurant on Wednesday which offered us a Mole Negro, and the waiter told us that they blackened the chiles to prepare this dish, then changed the water EVERY DAY for a week to remove the bitterness. Unbelievable.
What I do know is that if you have a good variety of dried and smoked chiles, some real tortillas, some good chocolate, some cinnamon, cloves, aniseed and oregano, and various types of nuts, you can prepare an awesome Mole!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:46 pm

I've got ground gloves in (only left hand ones). So there! :wave

Tesco even is great for chillies. It's not that extensive, but not bad.
Clive, I have made your pipian sauce before. With bream. And lovely it was too.

Mole covers my next question. Well anticipated.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox