Register

Mexican Street Market

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Mexican Street Market

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:35 am

I went for a walk this morning and came across a street market in one of the adjacent streets. Silly me for not taking any photographs, but not to worry as I'm going to another tomorrow.
First of all, there must have been at least 20 stalls selling tacos, tostadas, chilaquiles, flautas, tortas, arrachera, tamales and all manner of Mexican delights.
On the fruit stalls, melons, pineapple, mango, apples, bananas, oranges - nothing unusual except the sapote fruit. Unless you consider a 2 kg pineapple unusual :P :P
On the veggie side, I saw carrots, several types of tomato, tomatillo (green tomatoes used for making salsa - but not really tomatoes), radishes, ginormous white onions, loads of colourful lettuce... and my favourites.
Poblano chiles, serrano chiles, chiles de arbol, habanero chiles, banana chiles, jalapeno chiles, cascabel chiles, and dried chiles in all shapes and forms.
Promise some photos for tomorrow!

Re: Mexican Street Market

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:59 am

Sounds wonderful
We have the final episode of Rick Stein's Mexico tour series tonight, it's been interesting and in the previous episode he showed us the huge pineapple

I was thinking anyway of visiting Mexico this year, if I go it will probably be in March. I previously visited Mexico for one day in 1981 (hopped over the border from San Diego butwe did get past Tijuana)

We get tomatillos here now, they are physalis, related to the Cape gooseberry and the Chinese lantern flower, they are very popular with New Zealanders and a NZ friend introduced me to them

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:08 pm

Far better than our rather rubbish food market in town, once every fortnight.

I really must watch Rick Stone's Mexican programme. Now that I'm home for a fortnight, I can flick iplayer on when I'm in the mood.

Postby Renée » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:29 pm

How fantastic, KK And what a wonderful experience! My friend is in Mexico for four weeks.

I've recorded Rick Stein so I'll watch those on my return home.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:49 pm

Mexico is definitely worth a trip. However, be warned that distances are far greater than in Europe: Cancun, for example, is a 14 hour drive from Mexico City!!
The city as such is magnificent; there are so many museums, places of interest, shopping centres, historic sites to see. Puebla is only 90 minutes away; the pyramids are 45 minutes from here.
And did I mention the food? :gonzo :gonzo

Postby jeral » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:14 pm

It does sound fabuloso kardekoolaid; real kid-in-a-sweet-shop, eh? How long will you be there, or have you moved temporarily considering the impossible inflation?

As said, we can get some things here depending where you live, but e.g. the smokey or special chillis can be off-puttingly expensive. (Read: Jealous.)

Mexican food started to take off here last year as a current fad, with all the supermarkets adding dishes to their "takeaway" shelves. I'm not aware of an increase in taco-style takeaway shops which is odd as s/mkts tend to take over whatever's already popular rather than be trend leaders.

Anyway, enjoy, and look forward to seeing photos :)

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:30 am

Jeral: yep, it's a kid-in-a-sweetshop moment. Really, there are so many things to see AND, because I've got cheffie friends here, so I get to see the Real McCoy.
However: little tiny potatoes the size of peas. Yellow spring onions. 20 different types of chiles. Cactus leaves. little tiny enokki mushrooms and 10 other varieties. Deep-fried ants, worms, grasshoppers, grubs and scorpions, all smothered in hot chile salsa :o :crying2 :crying2 .Tiny red bananas.
Today, the market had SOME of these things, but was mostly meat and fish. What I did try was something called Chocolate Clams. Not clams with chocolate; simply that the shells are darkish brown. These clams are only found, apparently, off the coast of Baja California in Mexico.
I have to admit that, when I saw the size of the things, I almost said no; they were not that big, however, and absolutely delicious .

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Karakoolaide,

I am sure it is quite fascinating ..

I am in Venezia with my husband enjoying my belated birthday .. ( Sagittarius - December ) ..

Took a Gondelier over to the Islet of Murano, the home of the renowned glass artisans and stemware ..

Absolutely an amazingly enchanting city .. I have been to Venezia uncountable times and it is simply another world ..

Happy New Year .. Have fun in Mexico .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:54 pm

karadekoolaid, those chocolate clams can grow up to 6" (15cm) apparently - huge! The link below suggests they are plentiful, so let's hope they stay that way and that a smelly rotten globalist corporation doesn't start destructive dredging or whatever.
http://catalinaop.com/Wholesale/baja-ch ... k6PKTdGKUk

Insects are supposed to be very nutritious and delicious so little wonder they are eaten in many places. I'm happy to let you do the sampling for us ;)

Will you be able to take a bootload of goodies with you?

Alexandria, glad to hear you're enjoying your belated birthday treat and having a relaxing break.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:31 am

Alexandria:
Enjoy Italy. They tell me that the little islands around Murano do the most amazing seafood dishes. Look for the places the locals eat at.
Jeral:
Yep, the chocolate clams are pretty big. At first I was a little concerned that our clams might be those 'orrible golfball type molluscs, but they weren't, even though the shells were about 3 inches across. They were yummy, tender, full of the sea and full of flavour.
As for taking things back: I brought one when I arrived here, I was told I could bring TWO suitcases. So I've now acquired another, plus a carry-on. That should allow me enough room to return with a small market :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby jeral » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:28 am

karadekoolaid wrote: ...
That should allow me enough room to return with a small market :gonzo

8-) Tee hee.

Piece o' cake if you've been eating your greens (or nutritious insects):

:thumbsup

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:00 pm

Are you in in Mexico City Clive?

Mad place - just loved it - but not the smog, never seen anything like it - not even in Beijing - but the food is worth it - deeply jealous! I remember when we got a flight from Texas to Cancun, before it is what it is now - no high rises - we stayed in a converted nunnery - the food was so disappointing - nothing like M/C - we did climb Chichen-Itza tho' - well, I only got a fraction of the way up before I froze but The Lushly made it to the top where the sacrificial stones were - it's all closed off these days, you can only look from a distance.

Didn't think gondolas went over to Murano - it's quite a distance by power boat even.

Postby Pampy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:32 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:
Didn't think gondolas went over to Murano - it's quite a distance by power boat even.

They didn't when I've been there - I'm sure they only go on the canals.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:44 pm

Lucky you Alexandria. Venice is probably my favourite city in the world. The last time we were there we went by train and there was a water taxi waiting to meet us from the station. It must be the most stunning and romantic entry to any city anywhere.

My favourite places are the Rialto market - I could spend all day there
St Michela - the cemetary island and the Jewish ghetto not far from the Rialto.

I hope you have had a lovely trip.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:33 pm

We loved Murano, though I wouldn't want much of the glass

We stayed very near the Rialto whichmeant we could walk a lot

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:58 am

Stokey Sue wrote:We loved Murano, though I wouldn't want much of the glass

I have some stunning pieces bought there - eyewateringly expensive but gorgeous!

Most people's first glimpse of the city is by water taxi - something you don't ever forget. You could spend a lifetime there & not see everything. When we were there last we stayed very centrally just behind the square - idyllic spot with a balcony & a canal below that finishes just there - we had great views of the gondoliers waiting there & listening to all their banter - a bit like an Italian Spitalfields - very amusing we thought. We weren't so charmed when at around 6am they all congregated for a smoke & a loud gossip before starting work!

BTW - has anyone ever taken a gondolier over to Murrano? :lol: :lol: :lol: why just why.........?

Gossip methinks............!!

Postby QinNortham » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:08 pm

Lush, I sort of wondered the same about the gondolier - but hey whatever rocks your boat :lol:

My late Uncle loved Venice and always stayed at the Cipriani which he called The Chippy.

If I remember correctly St Simon Hopkinson made himself quite ill by stuffing himself on custard pancakes at Harry's Bar and had to take vast quantities of Fernet Branca before he go out for dinner.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 pm

QinNortham wrote:Lush, I sort of wondered the same about the gondolier - but hey whatever rocks your boat

You know what these gondoliers at like......................... :stfu

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:41 pm

That should have been are like............. :stfu :stfu

:rudolph1

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:08 am

Lush:
Yep, Mexico DF. Today I went for a long walk around the city.My kids went to an Amusement Park, and that's just not my scene :crying1 I stopped in a local market and took some photos (but my mobile has entered a catatonic state and I don't know how to fix it!! :? )
Mexico City is phenomenal. There's activity at all times, everywhere. The food is magnificent and unbelievably varied. The people are very polite. The pollution is terrible - but then it hasn't rained in the city since October!!
The temperature is perfect, although a little cooler than I'm used to (16-20C instead of 19-27C!)
Alexandria:
I won't ask you to enjoy Venice, because it's got to be one of the most enjoyable places in the world!! It's just one of those places that makes you feel at home as soon as you arrive.

And as for Harry's Bar.... we went there in 1982, on our 2nd honeymoon. Did the works: the carpaccio, the Bellinis, the sandwiches and the Aga Khan!! I don't know what it's like now ( although I imagine it must be prohibitively expensive) but, given the chance, I'd just blow the dollars and go there again.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox