Register

Maybe I am in the minority.......

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Maybe I am in the minority.......

Postby mark111757 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Site Admin

Re: Maybe I am in the minority.......

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:24 pm

Personally I find it despicable and cheap.

Here's the problem: it could be any product, they are heartlessly using the contrived scenario to develop a false sympathetic association with the product. Until the last moment, it could have been anything that was "Your dad's favourite".

I've ranted about a similar issue before on here, where advertisers pretend to be involved in charitable causes which they have deliberately contrived to sell their product.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:55 pm

I saw another one of these "holier than thou" ads on breakfast telly this morning. It's instant coffee it's selling, for heaven's sake.

It's deliberately designed by clever creative marketers to tug at the heartstrings, in the way that a charity ad would, and then callously adding in their product right at the end to wrap it all up nicely. It is made to make you feel that you are buying into all that good feeling by buying their wretched coffee. Remove the "Nescafe Gold" voiceover and it could be any product you chose to shoehorn in there. Back in the day it could even have been fags or booze. "You're never alone with a Strand".

Tag the Kenco ad on the end of the Nescafe ad and you might even pretend that you're helping rehabilitate the drug gangs of Colombia, as well as giving your life meaning, by buying their "insert product here".

Nescafe Gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZtEXMBbaZg

Kenco (this was the one I ranted about in an earlier thread)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkyxpuSd5u4

Dumb straplines wind me up too (although they don't annoy me, they make me laugh at their stupidity) - two current bottom of the barrel ones:

Natwest: We Are What We Do
British Telecom: Be There

That word "Logistics" always amuses me too. It basically means a delivery company, but "logistics" companies don't like to admit to their humble roots, so they dress their trucks up with grandiose straplines to emphasise their "logisticness". It makes an interesting motorway game, looking for "logistics" lorries and checking out their straplines for the dumbest.

I was going to search out a few examples, but fortunately this kind blogger has already compiled a list of nonsense, saving me the trouble:

https://brandongaille.com/31-good-logis ... -taglines/

A partnership based on trust.
An anchor in a new era.
Booking our passage to the future.
Borderless logistics.
Close to your business.
Delivery unlimited.
Equipment you can count on. People you can trust.
For the men in charge of change.
Fueling your logistics chain.
Globally connected, Locally invested.
Go beyond logistics, make the world go round and revolution business.
Great voyages start here.
Imagination… What we can easily see is only a small percentage of what is possible.
Live the experience.
Logistics through innovation, dedication, and technology.
Not the average freight fowarder.
People. Partnership. Performance.
Possibility in every direction.
Power beyond cargo.
Quality never goes out of style.
Ready, set, done.
Safety, quality, professionalism.
Shipments delivered on time with no hassle.
Smart people. Great solutions.
Special handling. Extra service.
Thinking the way forward.
Together with passion.
Trust. Transparency. Tranquility.
We set the standards others try to live up to.
We take pride in serving our customers safely.
Your best liquid asset.
Your navigator in the world of trade.
Your readiness. Our mission.

I have to confess a personal interest in logistics: I used to work for several logistics companies as a freelance designer :-(

Postby Pampy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Sakkarin wrote:
I have to confess a personal interest in logistics: I used to work for several logistics companies as a freelance designer :-(

But did you deliver the goods...? :lol:

I'm in complete agreement about these "heartstring" ads - they actually make me squirm with embarrassment.

Postby mark111757 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:59 pm

In a past life I spent 30 years in Rado, 14 at my last gig, and the style and content and dubious manner Sone radio ads were presented were questionable to say the least. It's like after awhile you become numb to it. And these adverts were coming out of national ad agencies.

Elsewhere I recall when coca cola I believe did the America the beautiful tv spots but also had it sung in other languages. I was not offended. I looked at it from the technical /production end. Yet many thought it was the end of the world....good grief

From a past Superbowl campaign

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=emZCF8XK66w

That is my 37p, for what it is worth....

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:07 pm

I prefer Ming-Ing's version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Vl0yLWHSk

But did you deliver the goods...? :lol:
Doh! For some better than others... oddly enough I found the "goodbye" letter from one of the companies just the other day in the loft! Bought out by another company, who had their own design team.

EDIT: Coke (i.e fizzy coloured sugar syrup) has always gone for the heartstrings level, you reminded me of the first coke ad I remember well "I'd like to buy the world a coke", sheesh, I see it was 1971, it's its 50th birthday in 3 years' time!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VM2eLhvsSM

Postby mark111757 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Here is the 1990 reunion

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqd5K5goiIo

That's the lovely Jane Relf at 0.17 from the band Renaissance; sister of The Yardbirds' Keith Relf. Not sure whether she sang on those commercials but she does have a really fabulous voice

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Oh dearie, dearie me! :crying1

(The video, not the info about the Rennaissance lady)

EDIT: It's very much of its time, but I loved this Rennaissance track as a teenager, particularly the instrumental section, even if it was borrowed from Beethoven (kicks in at 3' 46"). Great bass too. Pretty voice, but the band was all a bit too "folksy hippified" for me. Mind you this track is 49 years old. A 49 year-old song back when I first heard this track would have been something from the early 1920s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6jgrZsSyo

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:27 pm

To be fair to friends who do it for a living, there's a lot more to logistics than delivery IF you do it properly, it's about how much raw material needs to be where in the system and when to keep production going, where the warehouses need to be and how big and so on so forth, mainly very detailed planning without which the company could go bust

The NatWest Ads drive me mad, the smug "we've thiugh about this 'cos you're too stupid" thing

And on a more trivial level, the Rachel's yogurt ads, so utterly unconvincing, but what really annoys me is that they are eating out of a multi-serving pack. Grrrr

And the one that inflames my unreconstructed twentieth century feminist core is the chewing gum ad, the one with the bride jilting her wealthy fiance on the wedding day "he's got ... but that doesn't mean he gets you!" If she's so independent, why didn't she put her foot down rather earlier in the process? It very much portrays her as a chattel while purporting to state the opposite.

And coming down to earth, a model in full make up and a meringue dress looks silly chewing gum :D

Postby Uschi » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 am

I wonder why they could not simply have compared a living dad and his son along the lines of: we don't have much in common - and then going down the Filet-o-Fish route. It might have been funny even.

As for logistics ... be glad you live in the UK. At least they know their English there. The crude mixture of German and English that is plastered onto trucks and vans here is awful. I am not much on the Autobahn at the moment, but I'll try and collect some gems come summer.

BTW: is there really something like a "fulfillment centre"? The German railway service has one. They send you your ticket by post. I was half expecting a gigolo to come with it.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:10 pm

Ha yes! "Fulfilment", that's the other grand word Logistics companies use. It always annoyed me that ithey always use the single "L" spelling, I see that like me you feel it should have two (US spelling apparently, so I should be ashamed of myself)!

Where "Logistics" means delivery service, "Fulfilment" means packing.

Postby Uschi » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:45 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Sakkarin! I thought it was one of these made up English words.

We don't use a mobile or cellphone, we use a Handy (English pronunciation). :roll:

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox