Register

French Onion Soup To Keep Warm

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

French Onion Soup To Keep Warm

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:25 pm

During the winter frosty season, there is nothing like a hot soup or a hot stew to keep one toasty ..

Here is a tiny simple and quick French Onion Soup which my French Mom in Law prepares ..

For 4 to 6 People:

1 Tablesp of French Evoo
30 grams of French or French style butter ( 82 % butterfat )
1 Kilo of onions sliced into fine arcs ( I use 4 different type of onions .. )
1 1 / 2 tablesps of Brown Sugar in the Raw
4 tsps of Bio flour
2 litres of Beef Stock or Beef Broth home made
125 Ml. Cognac
2 Cloves of minced garlic
1 baguette or similar
100 grams of gruyère grated
Extra Evoo

1) Heat the Evoo and the butter in a deep casserole ..
2) Add the sliced onion, and sauté for 1 minute and then cover and cook for approx. 20 minutes on a very low slow flame ..
3) Add the brown sugar and 1/2 tsp. salt and increase the flame and cook for another 30 minutes.
4) Stir frequently, very gently until the onion is quite golden.
5) Now add the flour, 1 tsp. at a time ..
6) Remove the casserole from the heat, and add the stock a little at a time and the Cognac.
7) Combine the garlic with the Evoo and slice the baguette, and spread this mixture on the bread.
8) Then, place some grated cheese over the Evoo and the garlic and place over the Soup in clay bowls & put on the Oven Grill ..
9) *** Slice these canapé size slices of bread with garlic & Evoo and Gruyere which shall cover the bowls of soup and bake on grill in oven until toasty gold ..

Absolutely delicious ! Hits the spot ..

:wino

Have a great weekend ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: French Onion Soup To Keep Warm

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:24 am

We make ours without sugar, flour, or garlic but otherwise much the same, the French cousins swear by it for a hangover preventing early breakfast

Postby Renée » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:16 am

I used to make something similar, Alexandria, but without the flour, but I would use this next time.

I once made my own beef stock, roasting the bones before slow-cooking and it did make a difference and my kitchen had wonderful aromas!

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:08 pm

We often have Lyonnaise style onion soup on a Monday because i have left over baguette.

I don't use flour or sugar either and the onions are softened in butter do oil involved.
I use my mandilone to slice the onions because they really need to be thinly cut. I always used Gruyere because i don't think any other cheese tastes as good in this dish.

M was a student and then a teacher in Lyon and lodged for a year with a Lyonnaise family. We kep in touch with his landlady for many years. she died quite recently. She was a wonderful cook and taught me a lot about the Lyonnaise food traditions.

PS it is a great way to use some of the bouillon from a pot au feu

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:12 pm

Joan,

Thank you and I shall use French butter the next time I prepare it .. And yes, I do use a Mandolin too to slice the onions extremely fine ..

Yes, me too, on the Guryère !!

My mom in law uses Evoo, I believe because she is from Provençe, and they are producers .. I would have to ask her !

Have a lovely day .. All my deepest condolences .. Sorry to hear ..

:wino
Last edited by Alexandria on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Renée.

Yes, a home made beef stock is perfect for the broth in a French Onion Soup ..

I shall eliminate the brown sugar in the raw and the flour and give it a try without ..

Also to follow Joan´s advice and use French Butter instead of the Evoo ..

Thanks Dear ..

It was truly delicious none the less !!!

Have a marvelous day .. :crossed :clap :thumbsup

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox