Register

Ideas for VERY easy recipes please.

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Ideas for VERY easy recipes please.

Postby Pampy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:09 pm

I unfortunately had quite a bad car crash yesterday and although I'm back at home, I'm so battered and bruised that I won't be able to spend much time or effort cooking and preparing meals. I've no car to go shopping in either. My mind is shredded at the moment and I can't for the life of me think of anything that I can easily make for meals so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'll be eternally grateful.
I've got fresh eggs, bread, carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, garlic and most of the usual store cupboard items. In the freezer, I have chicken fillets, raw prawns, salmon fillets, smoked haddock, chicken and fish stock, peas, sweetcorn (and a number of other things that I can't remember at the moment!).
Nothing with tomatoes please!
Thanks in advance.

Re: Ideas for VERY easy recipes please.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:18 pm

Oh Pampy.... :newhuggy you poor thing - that's terrible news!
Please rest all you can, you'll be in shock for quite a while & need to take it easy - thank goodness you haven't broken anything. Is there someone who could help out with the cooking - it's times like these you wish you had a freezer full of ready prepared meals.

I'll have a think & get back to you...............take good care of yourself.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Oh & I meant to say online shopping is the way to go with no car - you can take all the time you need - no rush & select a delivery date/time - heaven sent at times like these.

Postby Pampy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:05 pm

Thanks Lush. I don't have any family who live near me so will be managing on my own. I haven't actually told them yet either - no point in worrying them. I'm going to do an Ocado shop when I get my head round what to cook. Stupidly (because after all, it's only a lump of metal) I think I'm most upset about my car which will probably be written off. It's my pride and joy - a soft top Audi TT Quattro! As it flipped over onto it's roof, the whole top is caved in as well as lower body work damage. I thank God that I got off so lightly because I was trapped upside down inside - the police, paramedics and A&E doctors couldn't believe how few injuries I had. Someone was definitely looking out for me!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Someone was definitely looking after you Pampy! Rolling over in a soft top like that beggars belief you didn't come out worse off - but how totally terrifying it must have been.
I know what you mean about your pride & joy but you WILL get another! your guardian angel will see to it :thumbsup

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Gosh. You had a very lucky escape. Stop worrying about the car. It's a car not a life!!!

If you don't have anyone to turn to, then make your Ocado order for easily prepared or ready to eat stuff.

From your store soup and kedgeree spring to mind after omelettes, scrambled egge etc
I too will have a think and get back soon. In the meanwhile take care.

Postby Petronius » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Oh Pampy, I feel so sorry for you, glad you're OK and good to know the emergency services did their jobs as well. Battered and bruised probably means you'll only want light meals for a bit.

OH's doing poached egg on toast tonight, or scrabbled egg on toast or something similar.

Salmon fillet, fish fillet – bit of oil on a baking tray, oven 180C for about twenty minutes. Add a few peas. Just like the photo I posted recently but without the tomato mix! If you feel up to it, slice a potato, par boil, into oven (200C) for about 40 minutes.

Chicken fillet – dry fry, 4 minutes each side and put to one side. Saute chopped onion, three minutes, add 30g – 50g of rice, stir around, add chicken, add sufficient stock, simmer covered for about 20 minutes or until rice soft.

If you got any bacon, chorizo, fry that after the chicken, then on with the onion etc. Tinned beans – red kidney can be added with the stock. But keep it simple. Add peas, beans if you want.

Take care, hot bath may help your aches and pains or shower if you're worried about getting in and out.

Postby Renée » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Pampy, what a horrendous experience for you. I'm so very sorry. :newhuggy In the meantime, until you get your head together, why not get ready made meals or fishcakes which you can have with frozen peas. McCains jackets in boxes of four are very nice and just 5 minutes in the microwave.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:32 pm

@Pampy,

I am so so sorry to hear this awful news, however, you are going to recover from this incident .. Just concéntrate on your health right now .. All our very best wishes from Barcelona & Cadaquès ..

As far as easy simple meals go with your ingredients:

1) Eggs: Scrambled or hard boiled which can be turned into an egg salad or even potato salad ..
2) Roast Chicken in the oven ..
3) Soups: Vegetable or Chicken Soup ..
4) Chicken Filets: Francese, Piccata, Marsala, Sautéed simply in Evoo or grilled with spices of choice .. Chicken Provençal = tomato, garlic, red pepper, Evoo, onion and White wine baked or stove top.
5) Fish: Grill in Evoo in a sauté skillet .. Or oven bake with a bit of White wine, herbs, spices and s & p .. Keeping it simple ..
6) Pasta al dente or to your liking ..
7) Some Lentils Vegetarian style .. can use jar Lentils too ..
8) Pizza home delivery or Asian ..

Good luck .. :crossed :crossed :crossed :crossed
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Pampy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Thank you all for your kind thoughts - I very much appreciate it. I think the enormity of what might have been is starting to sink it. I decided to tell a friend who dashed round and made me a cheese omelette on toast - boy did it hit the spot - I feel better already! She's working away next week but has promised to come round as soon as she's back but I'm sure I'll be back to normal by then. I'm blessed to have such a good friend. Your suggestions are great - salmon with peas I think for tomorrow and Joan's suggestion of soup is great too. If I can get my instant pot out of the cupboard tomorrow, I feel a veg. soup coming on, and I could add a chicken fillet too. Fishcakes will be on the Ocado order - I do like them just with a bit of salad and a chilli dip. Your ideas are helping to get my brain back into one piece!
I can't give enough praise to the emergency services and other people who helped me. There were some Highways Agency workmen nearby and they acted really quickly by calling the emergency services and then trying to turn the car the right way up. When they realised that I was trapped and their efforts weren't going to work, they managed to prise the door open and pulled me out. Makes you realise that the world has some pretty special people in it. One chap had been looking for my handbag and phone and I had given him my phone number so he could ring and try to locate the phone (unsuccessful). He rang me today to see if I was ok - said he couldn't get the sight of the car overturning out of his head. I'm glad he rang because it gave me the chance to thank him for his help. I shall raise a glass to all of them and all of you too.

Postby QinNortham » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Pampy, how utterly horrible, thank goodness you are OK, cars can be replaced, people can't. Please think of seeing your GP for something to help you sleep in the short term, I really needed that in similar circumstances.

You will be in delayed shock for a few days and food should be light, little & often.

Get some of the Tilda (or whatever) microwave rice, it's good and so quick. Makes a respectable cheat's risotto and you've got fish, prawns & chicken plus stock to hand.

Rice, chick peas, baby leaf spinach,coconut milk and dare I say it, curry powder, and some cumin makes a soothing meal.

Thai green curry.

Waitrose (via Ocado) do some very tasty goujons of sole.

If you aren't up to making soup Knorr Chicken Noodle with a squeeze of fresh lemon is our go to when feeling out of sorts.

Oh and some fresh fruit even if pre- prepared and in pots.

Yoghurt if you like it.

I'll keep thinking!

Do take care.
Q
X

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:32 pm

Oh dear, sorry to hear about that, trust you mend quickly.

If you resort to supermarket stuff, the polish chilled pierogies go well with pourover sauces

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /264057839

and this range of curry sauces are very good too...

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /293257334

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:54 am

@ Pampy,

Speedy recovery wishes Dear ..

Just thought of another idea, too ..

Baked Jack Potatoes in their skins in aluminum foil ..

Can fill with a wide range of ingredients .. And very simple ..

All our best wishes from Barcelona .. Stay warm and relax .. It is a time of healing so one should read a good book or watch a film that they have wanted to see to take their mind off their dilemas ..

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup And most important, think positive !! You were very very lucky ..

Thank you to all the people who assisted you during your crisis ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:01 am

Oh no.
What a horrible thing to happen. I do hope you start feeling bloody lucky soon though.
Forget the car, it's done its main job and kept you safe.

Ideas for simple?
Poach your chicken pieces for 20 - 25 mins. Gives you chicken pieces to add to rice, salads, stir fries and couscous.
You are left with poaching liquid for soup.

Passata + cream + prawns cooked in the hot sauce for 3 mins. Gives you pasta.

Otherwise, make one of my fav pasta dishes - spaghetti, garlic and chillies (dried is fine). With plenty of oil.

Boiled eggs keep in the fridge for 5 or 6 days. Boil a load, so you don't even have to cook.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:08 am

simplest sauce I know, 3 things.
Mustard in a pan. Add marsala as I did yesterday. Plus cream. S & P natch.

brandy/ whisky but not wine, wine is acidy.

We had it with veal cordon blue.

Postby Petronius » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:56 am

Hope you had a reasonable night Pampy. Boots sell witch hazel which is very good for bringing out and soothing bruises.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:41 pm

I hope you are feeling a bit better today but you will take a while to get over both the shock and the bruises. Arnica is fabulous for bruiting both the cream and as homeopathy. It really does work.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:42 pm

I was thinking of you too Pampy & hoping you had a decent sleep.

Lots of good ideas coming in for you as I knew they would - keep it simple is the way to go. Don't know if you like miso or marmite, but I often just have a steaming hot mug during the day - very comforting, & easily turned into a more substantial soup with the addition of veg/chicken/snipped noodles etc. Store cupboard cooking - a can of tuna &/or anchovies stirred thro' linguine/ spaghetti - I did that with sild & dried chilli flakes in the week - & wondered why I didn't have it more often!

If you can have a bath, magnesium flakes are wonderful for tired joints, & arnica cream is good for bruising.

So glad you saw your friend........... :thumbsup

Postby Suffs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Late to this so nothing practical to add but want to send commiserations and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Postby Pampy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:05 pm

I had a much better sleep last night - still woke up a few times with the "terrors" but managed to get off again once I'd calmed down. I seem to be getting stiffer as time goes on, which is weird. I'm also developing spectacular bruises in places I didn't know you could get them!
I've got some soup going in the instant pot and I've found some barley so have put that in too. I'm going to cook a couple of chicken fillets in the oven and will add some to a bowl of the soup and I can have the rest with Gill's mustard/marsala/cream sauce and also the chicken and rice dish from Petronius. I'll probably end up eating better than I usually do!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox