Register

yoghurt - greek stylee

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

yoghurt - greek stylee

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:24 am

Any ideas please for evening meals.
Not breakfasts puddings or honey drizzled ideas please, as we have it with breakfast oats fruit and smoothies in the morning already. Gawd I love yoghurt!

I've bought some for Tony from Aldi, and he prefers his usual brand, so I've got a kilo to use in cooking.

Otherwise, I can do my usual and strain it and make Greek cheese.

Re: yoghurt - greek stylee

Postby Renée » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:10 am

I shall be stirring in some yogurt, at the last minute, to the chicken curry that I'm making tonight, Gill.

At last, I've managed to trace the award-winning Lancashire Farm yogurt, which was mentioned on the board a while ago. Living in Lancashire, you would have thought it would be easy! There are recipes on the website:

http://lancashirefarm.com

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:31 am

The Gilt Painter,

Tzatziki: 500 grams of Greek Yogurt, 3 cucumbers (Grate in a strainer covered with a cheese cloth and press the wáter out by firmly squeezing), 3 cloves garlic, 1 tsp. fresh eneldo or mint or both, 1 tsp. Greek Evoo, salt & freshly ground black peppercorns, Kalamata olives for garnish and Pita or Focaccia for dipping ..

Tzatziki can be a Mezze (appetiser ) or pair with lamb ..

Have a lovely day ..

:thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:38 am

Slurp, haven't made a curry for ages, Renee.
Where did you find your yoghurt quest in the end?

Hi Alexandria.
Now there's an idea I hadn't thought of. Tzatziki and taramasalata. If I can find the fishy stuff - I think I've seen it recently.
I can make the bread easy enough.
Or as you say, with lamb. I have a sumac lamb dish I enjoy making.

Tick!

Postby Renée » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:19 pm

I found the yogurt in nearby Asda, Gill. At first, it wasn't with the usual yogurts, but was close to where the Polish chilled products are. They have moved it now to where the normal yogurts are. It is quite a thick yogurt. I've also seen it in Sainsbury's, where I only shop occasionally.

I rarely make curry these days, but have started using Anjum Anand's The Spice Tailor ingredients. The spices are in a separate pack, which have to be cooked for a couple of minutes in oil, then the base sauce added and finally the larger pack of sauce. I am very happy with them and saves hours of preparation!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Labneh is the obnious thing as if you put it in Tupperware with a film of olive oil on top it keeps well

All you do is add a little salt then strain in muslin overnight (if you don't have muslin a well rinsed J Cloth will do). Then serve with a little EVOO and flavourings such as herbs or sumac and flat breads.

Most recipes tell you to roll into balls then roll them in herbs or nuts and store in a jar of EVOO, you can if you like but it's often served in a bowl drizzled with EVOO

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:16 pm

Combine the pitta pockets you mentioned in another thread, and use some of the yoghurt to make Dipna Anand's Achari Chicken Tikka that I've been wittering on about for some years now. It's worth tracking down the mustard oil, it has a flavour all its own, which I associate with the dish...

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/fo ... cy-recipes

EDIT: P.S. I add all the ingredients to the bowl at once, I can't see that doing it in stages makes any difference.

Postby mark111757 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:29 pm

It is not a recipe but more a use. My brand of choice is FAGE and has a mouth feel similar to sour cream. I would use the full fat. I've had bad luck in the past with lower and especially fat free yogurt. To me they taste soapy. Very nasty. Never got that with the full fat tho...

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:29 pm

I'd definitely make a curry too - shame not to with all that yoghurt going spare :yum

I've been making a Pakistani curry lately that I like - it's lighter than the usual with a green chutney paste whipped with the yoghurt, basically - large bunch of coriander, half a bunch of mint, green chilli to taste, tsp jaggery, then around half a teaspoon each of salt, turmeric, grated ginger & garlic - again to taste, & wiz everything up with a tiny bit of water.

You add this yoghurty mix to whatever curry you're making towards the end of cooking - nice fresh flavour!

Postby mark111757 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:32 pm

Alexandria

Do you peel the cucumbers before you use them and do yo take the seeds out??

I was thinking about either very fine grate or mincing them into a piece of muslin or cheesecloth, to squeeze out the water

Good recipe..thanks for the share!

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:22 am

Mark.

No I do not peel the cucumbers .. And yes, one must grate finely and strain the moisture out of the cucumbers over a strainer that has a cheese cloth inside it .. Yes, I do de- seed as I slice the cucumbers in 4 lengthwise parts and grate -- so I take the sedes out before I begin grating ..

And press down with pressure to eliminate the moisture from the cucumbers ..

This recipe comes from a Greek Classic Chef and I had asked the same question !!

It is quite tasty with Lamb as well ..

Thank you for the compliment ..

Have a lovely evening .. 12.15am here ..

Karakoolaide:

Yes, it is a delicious Greek Mezze ..

Taramasalata:

This could be quite prepared in more than one way, obviously however, one is best to try and obtain: Grey Mullet and soak it in milk for 20 or 25 minutes. Many people who adore Greek Cuisine use fresh wild cod fish .. The other method is Roe of Taramara ..

I use 120 grams of Grey Mullet or Taramara Roe, fresh parsley, pita or focaccia soaked in milk to thicken ( some people use a potato or 2 ) and 1 / 3 of a standard measuring Cup of fresh lemon juice and 2 / 3 cup of Greek Evoo ..

I am a grand fan of Taramasalata ..

All my best for a lovely evening .. It is best served with a Rosé from Crete or Santorini ..

Have fun !

Nighty night .. :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:27 am

:thumbsup

Gilt the Painter,

Tick !

Keep us posted ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:05 am

I make tsatziki slightly differently using English (hothouse) cucumbers
With the kind known as English cucumbers I do peel but don't deseed

I grate or finely chop and mix with a tiny amount of grated raw onion or finely chopoed scallion and a tiny hint of garlic

I sprinkle with salt and leave until the juice is drawn

Then I squeeze the onion and garlic flavoured cucumber dry (I use my hands or twist in a cloth)
and mix it with the yogurt, adjusting the seasoning if necessary. Finish with fresh or dried mint or even sumac

The trick, oddly, is not to use too much cucumber, it is a sauce or relish, not a salad

This method I originally found in a Corfu tourist board leaflet ca 1980

As the cucumber yogurt mix is found all round the eastern side of the Mediterranean, I think the details vary a little

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:28 am

Sakkarin, I've got everything, inc mustard oil.
I like the sound of the signature dish too. I'll make that tomorrow.
The salmon one looks great.

Lush, Pakistani cooking eh. Very interesting. Where did you pick up on that?
Thanks for the excellent paste addition.

Fantastic.
I'm all set with wonderful ideas. & I've got half straining for the balls, Sue. I use chilli and a little bit of rosemary.
Once forgot the salt, and it's messy trying to put it in afterwards.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Just a note on the Achari dish, I don't use quite as much yoghurt as she does.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:34 pm

Hokay!

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:41 pm

Grilly - we popped in to an Indian resto we used to go to quite a lot at one time, the owner - 'uncle' made a big fuss of us & took us into the kitchen to see his new tandoor - blimey, that thing was HOT & reached down to Hades - anyway, chatting away, I realised that I never new he was actually Pakistani - from Karachi - so we had a long chat about the food from there & what is generalised by the term 'Indian' over here - seems they have a different method for making their curries & use different spices too for home cooking - he gave me the tip about that yoghurty mix & I'm really enjoying it!

Postby Mamta » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:53 pm

Hello Gill
I haven't been here for a while. As for Indian recipes, we make all sorts of Raitas with it. Raita is lovely as part of an Indian meal, as a snack with crackers or o its own.
As you know, we use yoghurt in many recipe, almost like you would add cream to dishes to make them rich.
Then there are various Lassies, sweet and savoury yoghurt drinks.
North Indian Kadhi, Gujrati Kadhi and Kadhi soup are also quite nice.
You can use it in making various bread doughs, both leavened and unleavened.
I use yoghurt to make all sorts of batters for pancakes/Dosas.
You can also use thick yoghurt in Tandoori marinades for meat, poultry, fish and vegetables.
I don't spend so much time on computer these days, so don't look in here very often. Nice to pop in now and then :D

Postby mark111757 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:15 pm

Postby Mamta » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 am

Lovely! Many Indian breads are made with yoghurt, it helps to raise the dough. I Love them :crossed
If I remember correctly, Gill already makes them, yes?

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox