Register

Kadai Paneer

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Kadai Paneer

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:28 am

For you curry boffins on here, could I ask for opinions on the following recipe. I have an Indian event going on in May and I am designing the menu and always put a few veggie options on.

https://indianhealthyrecipes.com/kadai- ... vy-recipe/

I think it sounds delicious but is seems a little shy on the number of spices?

Re: Kadai Paneer

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:46 pm

Not everything has to be spiced to the max, she describes that as a tomato onion gravy and I think that's what you are meant to taste, and the paneer.
Nice to have some less spiced dishes, I've had something similar on a thali I think

Having said which, I might be inclined to up the ginger garlic paste a tad and loose the cayenne

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:14 pm

That cashew makes me assume it's a creamier, milder dish - and personally I don't feel paneer really needs too much kick, even though I am a chilliaholic. It doesn't look as if it skimps on the chilli anyway. I think you could up the methi, there doesn't seem much point to a quarter teaspoonful. Full-blown methi dishes use tablespoonsful of it. A quarter teaspoonful is just a sprinkling of dust.

I'd have to try it to make a full judgement!

Postby jeral » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:17 pm

As a chilli wimp, that flavour would overpower all the others for me. I'd probably omit some and add a pinch of Colman's mustard for heat instead (which brings out tomato very well).

As with all dishes, probably need to try it as is before tweaking...

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Looks grand to me, without dabbling.
Paneer and cashew are rich.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:28 am

The spices look OK to me, WFF.
When I prepare recipes like this, I go for the exact measures, first time out. Then, if I think there´s something lacking, I kick it up a notch.
Kashmiri chiles are delish; not too hot, but satisfyingly spicy.
The combination of cashew nuts and onions, gently ( and I repeat, gently) fried until totally translucent, then blended to a paste, is a secret of Mughlai cuisine which I have recently discovered. It is absolutely glorious. It makes all the difference to a (Mughlai) dish. Last year, I made something called " Chicken Rizzala" for a Gala Dinner at the Caracas Country Club - 170 guests. The base for the sauce was onion and cashew nuts. It provides a creaminess which is unachievable with "cream". People STILL tell me it was the best dish they`ve ever eaten.
If you add some lovely fresh peas, you could make Mattar Paneer. If you choose carrots, then you have Gajar Paneer. They`re both lovely, uncomplicated (relatively) dishes.
If you want some more suggestions for Indian veggie dishes, I can offer dozens, because that´s what I cook most of the time. You could also look at Mamta´s site, which is absolutely magnificent!

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 am

Thanks everybody. My reservations are coming from my habit of throwing my entire spice rack at my curries. Will give this a try out this weekend when I will (hopefully) have something that resembles a kitchen.

As an aside. Does anybody have any tips for cooking rice for 50? I imagine baking would be easier?

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:39 pm

Cook the rice as you would normally do, then warm it up, covered, in the oven

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:00 pm

KK - When I have cooked rice on the stove top in larger quantities I have found it has always gone claggy especially lower in the pan. Is it something I am doing wrong?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:15 pm

No advice on the bulk rice, but I shall watch with interest.

The recipe I base my pilau rice on ends with a spell in the oven anyway, although I don't bother with that and usually do it all on the hob. Only for one though, not feeding the 5000...

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:21 pm

I would find that amount of rice challenging on a hob

Google suggests the oven method so certainly worth a trial

Postby jeral » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:47 pm

WhitefieldFoodie wrote:KK - When I have cooked rice on the stove top in larger quantities I have found it has always gone claggy especially lower in the pan. Is it something I am doing wrong?

Maybe cooking it in normal amounts over a few days (then freeze) would solve the clag? I can cook perfect rice if the amount I'm used to, otherwise same here if double the amount, due to too much water and probably cooking for too long thinking it needed it when it probably didn't.

On the other hand, any clag could be turned into creamy rice pud with coconut milk & whole milk, sugar, green cardamom, golden raisins or sultanas etc :)

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:53 am

WFF: first of all, I surmise you´re using the absorption method. Might I suggest you use the "cook-it-like-pasta" method? Fill your pan with loads of water, bring to a boil, add salt and the (long grain) rice and cook hard for 14 minutes. Drain. Perfectly cooked separate grains every time. If you´re doing Basmati, then its 8 minutes, drain, place in a large bowl, cover and leave for another three minutes. You might want to experiment a bit because I live at 1,400 mts (4,620 ft) above sea level and the timing could be slightly different.
Secondly, you´ll need a large pan - a VERY large pan. And I´d probably do it in batches; three or even four. Stir it every now and then to ensure it doesn´t stick to the bottom. Use as much of the cooking water again so you don´t have to keep reboiling.
I estimate a cup of long grain rice for 4 people, and that´s about 210 gms. That means about 2.7 kgs of rice for your 50 guests. That´ll mean about 900 gms at a time - that´s manageable.
Once it´s all cooked, you can keep it, covered, in a warm oven until you serve. If you´re doing plain rice, perfect. For Biryani and Pullao, you can leave it out before you re-cook it.

Jeral: I wouldn´t freeze that amount of rice. The water in it will freeze and then turn the rice into mush when it´s defrosted. Plus we´re talking 50 people here; 2.7 kgs of rice!

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:28 am

Thanks again, all.

KK- thanks for the info. I have a Bain Marie this should keep it warm. Does it not continue cooking if kept warm for say an hour?

Postby Pampy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:11 pm

WFF - you probably know this but if you are keeping rice warm after cooking, it needs to be kept at 63 degrees C or higher and if you are reheating from cold, it needs to be taken to at least 75 degrees C to ensure that it doesn't develop food poisoning bacteria.
This a handy guide https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/f ... tering.pdf

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:18 pm

Ifyou are going to reheat the important thing is too cool quickly

The single most dangerous thing is to hold cooked rice berween 30 and 40 deg C, as that's when the toxin forms
The risk of bacillus cereus in the UK is small, but not zero

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:42 pm

Cheers pampy/Sue. I have used my bain marie on full wack (90oC), and it kept the rice at around 70-75oC.

Postby DEB » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi

I have never tried to cook rice for that number but this might help.

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/incredible/ ... pilaf.html

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/incredible/ ... nrice.html

Do check if any of your friends have a rice cooker, borrowing a couple of these would make life much easier.

Or

Just serve loads of Indian bread.posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&t=3604#

Hope all goes well.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:04 pm

WFF:

I´ve never, ever had a problem with rice poisoning. Ever. I´ve just searched the web for cases in the UK in the past 20 years, and there´s not one. Still, the warning is always important.

As for your bain-marie: the first time I did a meal for 80, we held the rice in a chafing dish - which is probably the same. All you need to do (quoth he, glibly) is check on the rice from time to time, to ensure it´s not overheating. My Chafing Dish uses little fire boxes, but I can control the heat. Perhaps cook your rice for one minute LESS and, if you think it´s drying out, splash a bit of water over it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:12 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:I´ve just searched the web for cases in the UK in the past 20 years, and there´s not one. Still, the warning is always important.

Not a notifiable disease in the UK, or as far as I know anywhere in Europe, so any statistics are pulled out of thin air

I agree, I've never known anyone catch it in Europe, but I have known people who've had it and apparently its a bit like cholera but more survivable

In retrospect the amount of reheated rice I've eaten in community centres (jollof, rice and peas, even biryani) is potentially dodgy, but never a problem.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox