Register

Kadai Paneer

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Kadai Paneer

Postby smitch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Years ago, my mum was poisoned by rice in Egypt. Was awful, she was extremely ill for the second week of our holiday and ended up in hospital on our return to the UK. After that experience, I am very careful.

Postby Mamta » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:09 am

Hello WhitefieldFoodie
Kadahi paneer is basically any paneer dish cooked in a kadahi/karahi/wok. I guess that most Indian Bangladeshi restaurants make something similar to what we call Shahi paneer, when they say kadhahi paneer. Shahi simply means suitable for Shahs of kings.
I haven't visited my Shahi paneer recipe from early days of mamta'skitchen though I make it often. If you like, I could make it again and write down step by step guide for you, with pictures. It is a nice dish, suitable for special meals.
As for rice, I think that rice not properly stored can cause a becillus cereus
infection. I have had bad food poisoning twice from airline food, once ending up in Hillingdon hospital straight from the aeroplane. Both times, I had eaten lukewarm rice with some vegetable/Dal. Though I can't say that it was definitely B cereus, personally, I don't like keeping any food, especially rice, on 'warm' for too long.
If you are worried about cooking a lot of rice in one go, you could make half and half in two pans. What kind of rice dish are you thinking of making? A simple pilaf that has been tempered with only Cumin, whole garam masala spices and garnished with fried onions is good with rich curries. You can colour it with strong tea, instead of turmeric. This gives the rice pilaf a beautiful, very light brown/beige colour and a light flavour. This is a trick I had learned from one of my mum's cooks nearly 55-56 years ago.
Sorry about the bad typing. I am not on my computer and ting on a mobile phone is not something I am good at!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:12 pm

There was a meal in Egypt after which the four who had rice all went down with d&v but the two of us who unexpectedly were seved chips with out meal were fine

It was an early evening meal and in retrospect we suspected that the rice had been leftover from lunch

I'd almost forgotten that until smitch reminded me

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 am

Mamta - Thanks for you informative reply. Never heard of the "Tea in Rice" tip. That sound really interesting. Any decent breakfast tea?

Regarding your Shahi Paneer recipe. That would be fantastic. Would the gravy/base be suitable to use with chicken also? I am hoping to give the meat eaters the same dish as the veggies.

Postby Mamta » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Hello WF
Yes any tea that gives a decent colour and some flavour. I add 1 or 2 tea bags in teapot and let it brew while getting other things. It just hives a light brow, kind of fried look and adds to the flavour.
I will do the shahi paneer soon, provably week agter next. It has gone on my to do list :-).
Yes, it should work for Chicken too. I will cook some chicken too when I do the paneer, Shahi chicken lol,!

Postby Mamta » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:08 am

Hello WhitefieldFoodie
Kadahi paneer is basically any paneer dish cooked in a kadahi/karahi/wok. I guess that most Indian Bangladeshi restaurants make something similar to what we call Shahi paneer, when they say kadhahi paneer. Shahi simply means suitable for Shahs of kings.
I haven't visited my Shahi paneer recipe from early days of mamta'skitchen though I make it often. If you like, I could make it again and write down step by step guide for you, with pictures. It is a nice dish, suitable for special meals.

I think my brain was not in gear when I wrote that :roll: ! Shahi Paneer is nothing like Karahi/Kadhai paneer. Shahi paneer is the creamy Paneer Curry and Karahi Paneer is the stir-fried paneer dish, often with green/yellow peppers and sliced chillies. I was making Shahi paneer last night. As I was getting the ingredients out, it hit me what i had said here. So, sorry for the confusion, it was probably a senior moment :?
I will make the karahi paneer in a couple of weeks, and then post it for you.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox