Register

vacuum pack

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

vacuum pack

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 am

Any good?
Binky's just mentioned one, and I've not thought about getting one before now.

I thought I had most gadgets, but Tony got me a defroster plate - that works really well. Speeds up the process, and I have no idea how it works.

Re: vacuum pack

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Gill, I have one in the loft.

I use it to make "ready meals". things like the dreaded fish in parsley sauce that my mom used to force feed me with pasta as a child.

I do a veg and spud gratin, and then put a thin slice of that with a piece of fish (salmon or cod etc) before vac packing it and freezing. Then if Tiff or I am in alone, we can defrost it and all we have to do is simmer for 15/20 mins to reheat/cook the fish. I also use it for storing and extending the life of food I haven't used.
Last edited by WhitefieldFoodie on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:35 pm

I have this one from Lidl. It's too puny really, doesn't give a complete vacuum, leaves tiny air pockets that make the bag float if you're sous videing, so you have to weigh the bags down.

Maybe it's fine for storage, as the guy is using it in the video. I've only used it a handful of times, and cannot guarantee that I'm using it properly, as the instructions are unclear, so don't quote me.

EDIT: Watch out for the cost of the "consumables" too, the rolls aren't cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrCDRoo7lPc

Postby Pampy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:00 pm

I have one that my Mum bought for me in 1991 and it's still going strong. They are no longer made but I can still get the rolls that it uses to make bags at a very reasonable price. Can't remember where I got them from at the moment but I'll have a look on the pack and report back. I find it's great for freezing food as you don't need to have loads of containers and as the air is removed, it saves space in the freezer. The bags are microwave safe (although if the food has a high fat content, I tend to remove it from the bag first) and can also be used as "boil in the bag" or for sous vide cooking.

Postby jeral » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:18 pm

Just in passing, on US TV cooking competition programmes, a few chefs have used the vac pac to enclose meat and marinade together to instantly force the marinade into the meat.

I've no idea how that works, but it doesn't seem unusual to them. (They have the industrial super-suction version of vac packers of course.)

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:28 pm

I had the Lidl one, found it quite fiddly, and it died

I'd go for a better quality one if I had more space.

I think they really come into their own if you do sous vide, and for that you ideally want a good one, but they are good for freezing all sorts of things and for small anounts of dry goods (such as speciality flours or spices) that you are going to keep in a cupboard or freezer for a while - e.g. things brought back from trips such as Greek oegano which is seldom in airtight packages

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:57 pm

I could repeat Sues post. If you want/need one. get a goodn'

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:23 pm

Go for it Gill! £200 off...

A snip at £3,679.18, and £1,480.80 cheaper than the RRP of the freestanding version

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/multivac-vacu ... p360/cp502

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Afternoon all.
Just back from Liverpool.

I'm not massively bothered about sous vide cooking. Mainly because my husband likes things well done.
So the gentle "a point" doneness wouldn't really suit him.
Looks like I can do without then, and just stick to freezer bags. Thank you kindly.

I feel positively flush having saved myself that £3,679.18.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox