Register

Catalan Spinach with Pine Nuts & Dried Fruits

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Catalan Spinach with Pine Nuts & Dried Fruits

Postby Alexandria » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:23 pm

Espinacas con Pasas, Frutos Secos y Piñones Catalana, Catalan Spinach with Pine Nuts & Dried Fruits, is a delicious traditional dish, which is prepared with the first Spinach of the season and is a good example of the creative and imaginative talent of combining textures, colors and cultures ..

This can be served as an appetiser, a starter or a main or used for fillings for turnovers or Coca Mallorcan Pizzas ..

Here is a family recipe favorite for spinach:

250 ml. water or vegetable broth from vegetable stock home made ..
1 kilo of fresh from the Farmer´s Market, spinach
salt
45 ml. Spanish Extra virgin olive oil
100 grams of cured ham ( optional ) - I prefer mine without the ham ..
3 Tablespoons of Pine nuts or almonds
3 tablespoons of raisins of choice ( Golden or Sultana Spanish Raisins ) .. Soak in warm wáter for 15 minutes and read step 4 ..
3 Tablespoons of assorted dried fruits of choice ( I use dried currants and dried red cranberries for a touch of tart ) and 2 small prunes or apricot ears for sweetness ..
Freshly ground black pepper
1 dried tiny horn, chili pepper crumbled ( optional )
2 Cloves fresh garlic ( small cloves minced )

1) Heat the wáter or broth, in a heat proof casserole ..
2) When it comes to a boil, add the freshly washed spinach leaves trimmed of stems, a little at a time ..
3) Cook over a high heat 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the spinach well ..
4) Heat the Evoo is a sauté skillet and add the ham, stir briskly, and then add the minced garlic, pine nuts, or almonds and all the dried fruits and stir constantly. Drain the raisins and add to the sauté skillet.
5) Add the cooked spinach and combine in the sauté skillet ..
6) Check the seasoning and add the freshly ground pepper and crumbled chili pepper ..

Serve with crusty whole meal country rustic bread and a glass of delicate Blush from Provençe or Navarran Rosé ..

Enjoy .. Simply superbly splendid ..

Have a lovely day ..

:crossed :thumbsup :wino
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Catalan Spinach with Pine Nuts & Dried Fruits

Postby Renée » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:46 pm

Thank you for the lovely recipe, Alexandria. I do like the combination of golden raisins with pine nuts and I love spinach. One to try very soon.

Re: Catalan Spinach with Pine Nuts & Dried Fruits

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:05 am

Renée, :thumbsup

This is quite exquisite and so so simple ..

Thank you Dear and have a lovely evening ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox