Register

Tapa: Pisto Manchego - Spanish Ratatouille

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Tapa: Pisto Manchego - Spanish Ratatouille

Postby Alexandria » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:50 pm

There are uncountable versions of Pisto, however, this is one of the most authentic of the Castilla La Mancha region and at our home ..

A Vegetable Melody called Pisto Manchego .. or Spanish Ratouille .. and can be served as a Tapa, an appetiser with hard boiled egg or a starter with sunny side up eggs, if one prefers .. Absolutely delighting and delicious .. Hits the spot on a cold day surely ..

200 Ml. Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil ..
3 Cloves of minced garlic (small to medium size )
2 large onions ( 300 grams )
3 Red bell capsicum peppers ( 350 - 400 grams )
1 Green Bell ( or one Medium horn shaped )
2 aubergines peeled and chopped into small dice chunks
350 - 400 grams of Courgette, peeled and chopped into small chunks
500 grams of red ripe tomatoes De-seeded and de-peeled ..
Salt to taste
a pinch of sugar
Optional: 2 extra large eggs per person ( hard boiled or sunny side up sautéed in butter or Evoo or combination )

Directions ..

1) Heat the Evoo in a large frying pan and sauté the garlic and onion ( all minced ) over a low slow flame or heat ..
2) When the garlic and onion are Golden, add the bell peppers minced ( tiny dice shape ) and the aubergine chunks and sauté gently until the mixture begins to soften.
3) Now add the courgette & the ripe tomatoes or San Marzano, de-pitted and de-skinned if fresh, and cook until the liquids begin to evaporate and stir frequently.
4) The texture for traditional Pisto Manchego, is a thick "salsa" ..
5) When, the salsa is thick and tomato red in color, add salt and freshly ground black pepper if you wish and crumble a dried chili pepper if you wish ..
6) Now, in another skillet ( optional), sauté 2 eggs per person, into "sunny side ups " to your desired wellness, or boil 2 eggs and slice the hard boiled eggs and slice in quaters, which I prefer and work lovely too, and serve the Pisto in clay dishes with egg on top ..

Serve with crusty rustic bread of choice and a glass of Castilla La Mancha red wine from the Manchuella Region / Ayuso, Albacete or Cuenca Appellations ..

:clap :thumbsup :wave

Enjoy and have a wonderful day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Tapa: Pisto Manchego - Spanish Ratatouille

Postby Renée » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:43 pm

What a lovely healthy recipe, Alexandria! I used to make a similar Ratatouille, put into a small bowl, grate cheese on top and melt under the grill. I used to have this for lunch with nice crusty bread. I like the idea of using eggs, which will add protein.

Re: Tapa: Pisto Manchego - Spanish Ratatouille

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:09 am

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Wow .. This is quite delicious and the egg on top, yes provides a good protein source and texture too ..

Oh, and some fabulous rustic bread for dipping ! I use a bakery fresh and hot Chapata, which is a long thick rectangular country style, bread that is crusty ..

Simply heaven ..

This was our lunch today at the office ..

Thanks again and have a lovely evening ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox