Register

Cake

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Cake

Postby jeral » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:34 pm

Appropos of nothing. Does anyone else keep getting the sudden urge to eat apple?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Joanbunting wrote:Very best of luck for the stall Claire.

I too have been in a baking mood this morning and have just taked a caramelised apple cake out of the oven to which i added a naughty splash of calvados. It is , as usual with me, a mixture of two or three recipes so if it works I'll try tp ost the recipe - if I can remember it :lol:

Hahaha Joan! I've lost count of the amount of times I've done that when both cooking and baking. In fact, the spiced pineapple cake I'm making for the stall needed glace/dried pineapple for the decoration. That is as rare as hen's teeth round this way. I felt that I could have glaceed my own in the time it would take me to source some, so that's exactly what I've done. It's currently in the bottom of a very slow oven to dry off whilst the meringues are also cooking. I've adapted a recipe for candied citrus peel that is in the Hairy Bikers Christmas book. I have to say it's worked rather well. Oh how I wish I lived nearer to a Continental market!

EDIT: The Babka I started making yesterday is now ready to go on the oven, about 24 hours earlier than I anticipated. So all this stuff I've heard about ingredients like like, eggs, butter and chocolate retarding the yeast (courtesy of Mr Hollywood mainly) is a load of old codswallop. Unless it was beginner's luck of course! :lol: Petronius, I can now see why Paul Hollywood annoys the thingies out of you!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:42 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Good luck with the baking and the selling Clare! Good cause :clap

I have just discovered babka, where has it been all my life? The texture is so good (the sample I had also contained rum, which never hurts)

As the babka erupted a bit when it was baking, I've had a couple of cooks perks samples. Now I know that you mean about where has babka been all my life! :yum It makes pain au chocolat seem rather boring by comparison!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:57 am

Morning everyone

Here is the cake stall update now we've done it!

It was a great success, although we didn't quite sell out of everything. However, we had a lot of cakes to sell! Some types were more popular than others. Two of my colleagues made cupcakes which were selling well at first,; we eventually sold out of them. We sold out of the summer berry oat slices and the banoffee crumble cake as well as the chai fudge cake. I was delighted that the latter was very popular as it was a bit of an experimental leap of faith almost of Letitia Cropley standards (she was the character played by Liz Smith in the early series' of The Vicar of Dibley in the UK). Luckily it turned out to be a bit of a Nigella-esque brainwave lol!

So far we have raised £85.00, with hopefully another conttrbution of £15.00 by one of my other colleagues.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:13 am

Well done ssc and colleagues :clap

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:42 am

Congratulations.
And thanks for the feedback on your successes.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:30 pm

Had to Google "Babka" to check out what it was, and it looks very familiar, I'm sure I've had it, but can't pinpoint where. I t may have been from a Jewish bakery in Finchley Road, when I used to commute into Central London many years ago. I have a feeling it was the original Wenzels, and we now have a Wenzels in Watford (In fact I got a fab sourdough from there yesterday).

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:44 am

Thank you Gill, Sue and Sakkarin for your lovely comments. Sorry for not adding a recipe/image link for the babka Sakkarin, but thank heavens for Google and other search engines! We use Bing in work.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox