Register

Cake

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Cake

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:13 pm

I don't make too many cakes these days, & when I do I always reduce the sugar -- a lot - & the cake doesn't suffer for it at all.

I make a savoury loaf cake that I'm partial to with a glass of red - always goes down well when friends come over, basically it's made with parmesan, reblochon, lardons & blk olives & it's so easy - but people think I've slaved over it!

It's also good for breakfast.............. 8-)

Postby Petronius » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:18 pm

As OH is Cake King, I've only one 'go to' cake – carrot. Rachael Allen's recipe - including 300g grated carrot, 140g vegetable oil – no butter. Use sultanas rather than raisins (personal choice), chopped walnuts or not depending on whose it for and have some in stock.

A couple of times I've made it without the two eggs for a vegan friend. It was a bit weak, best eaten with a spoon but fine. I've thought of using chick pea water as a binder instead of eggs but have no idea how to go about it.

First time I followed her recipe for orange cream cheese topping but thought it horrible, so now don't use topping at all. Sieve icing sugar if I want it posh.

It can be made the day before it's needed and will stay moist until the last crumb, which isn't long. :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:30 pm

How have we got this far without mentioning the Be Ro boiled fruit cake? I add a slug of any brown spirit (rum, brandy, whisk(e)y ) to the cooling fruit, and sometimes a liitle mixed spice
https://be-ro.co.uk/recipe/showrec102.html?rec=102

Postby Alexandria » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:40 am

Sakkarin & Joan, :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

This is amazingly gorgeous ..

Could I have the recipe, please ?

Thank you in advance ..

All my best for a lovely weekend .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:39 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:How have we got this far without mentioning the Be Ro boiled fruit cake? I add a slug of any brown spirit (rum, brandy, whisk(e)y ) to the cooling fruit, and sometimes a liitle mixed spice
https://be-ro.co.uk/recipe/showrec102.html?rec=102

Sue, you made me smile, there's one in the oven right now! Only I add some confit ginger and local candied morello cherries.

Lizzie-47 wrote:Joan, I am curious, why do the French prefer cakes without butter?

They don't they are not great cake/gateau makers because of the excellence of the local patiserie but they are fascintaed by the thought of any cake/gateau which doesn't have butter and uses oil instead. Meringues seem to spook them too so a Pavlove is always a hit.

Alexandria I'll send the recipe later but I suspect Sakkerine could just scan it if he's around. bear in mind though that it was published nearly25 years ago and I have tweaked it several times since.

Postby jeral » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Out of interest and for the hell of it, I was thinking about French style cooking, with butter coming top, but with garlic a close second.

I came across this US recipe for very garlicky scones to serve with soup, so not a dessert really but might be good for soups or casserole cobbler topping:
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... nes-recipe

However, there are six proper dessert garlic items here:
https://www.sweetyhigh.com/read/delicio ... pes-041917
I'd love to try them all since the oddest combinations do seem to work sometimes. Whether they make it onto people's "go to" cake list, I'm not sure...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:45 pm

There you go Alexandria...

I used half the ingredients and a 6 inch tin.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:22 pm

Good God! Have you got a book, our Joan.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:21 pm

Many many moons ago Gill - about 25 to be exact!

I made said recipe for lunch today but it has been altered a lot since, Less sugar and more cream cheese ansd a squeeze of lemon for the frosting for a start!

Still works though!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Do you still use corn oil Joan?

I bought a bottle of Mazola once, but I didn't like the smell at all. I mainly use sunflowdr (I prefer groundnut - arachide but it is about three times the price now)

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:24 pm

No Sue, that's one of the tweaks. I use sunflower now. I tried it with mild olive but it didn't taste nice, I hate colza as well.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:07 pm

Phew! :thumbsup

We are as one on this, to me all forms of colza (rape seed) smell like the stuff I applied to my mother's G-Plan teak

Postby Lizzie-47 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:06 pm

Lizzie-47 wrote:Joan, I am curious, why do the French prefer cakes without butter?

They don't they are not great cake/gateau makers because of the excellence of the local patiserie but they are fascintaed by the thought of any cake/gateau which doesn't have butter and uses oil instead. Meringues seem to spook them too so a Pavlove is always a hit.

Ah, I see - thanks! Love the idea of spooky meringue!

Postby patpoyntz » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:18 pm

This lemon cake made with oil...I use groundnut....and yoghurt is really moist and lemony, nicer, I think than lemon drizzle. I usually just put the lemon icing on the top and don’t bother with the fruit compote unless serving it as a dessert.
https://www.davidlebovitz.com/lemon-yog ... y-compote/

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:30 am

Hi everyone!

Sorry to go ever so slightly off topic from the original question, but the department I work in are running a cake stall on Monday for the charity we all work for, (which is Young Epilepsy). It's their annual fund & awareness raising day then. A few of us are keen bakers so we thought it was a good idea. I am doing the bulk of the items, which is why I've taken today off work, but luckily I'm definitely in a baking mood (Phew! Although watching this week's Bake Off on catch up last night helped an awful lot). As our team is quite multi-cultural, we'll be selling items that reflect that as well as familiar favourites. So we'll be selling everything from cupcakes and cheese scones to chocolate babka, Portugese vanilla meringues & custard tarts to a Chai Fudge Cake and a spiced pineapple cake amongst other delights.

Our website, if anyone is interested, is http://www.youngepilepsy.org.uk/

Wish us luck! I'll let you know how we got on Monday evening.

Thanks, Clare

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:45 pm

All the best with that!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Good luck with the baking and the selling Clare! Good cause :clap

I have just discovered babka, where has it been all my life? The texture is so good (the sample I had also contained rum, which never hurts)

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:05 pm

Thanks Sakkarin and Stokey Sue

Re the babka, I haven't tried it yet, and I'm making a chocolate one for the stall. So far, so good, the dough looked and felt just how the recipe said it should. I have tweaked it slightly by adding the cinnamon to the dough rather than the chocolate filling, and the smell that wafted up when I added the warm milk and butter mix was divine! I have used a shortcut by using a bread mix because I don't make bread very often. It seemed pointless buying the strong flour and yeast which would have probably gone to waste!

Postby jeral » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:17 pm

Best wishes for success, strictlysalsaclare :thumbsup

I'll have one of each please - and I'm sure others will too.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:27 pm

Very best of luck for the stall Claire.

I too have been in a baking mood this morning and have just taked a caramelised apple cake out of the oven to which i added a naughty splash of calvados. It is , as usual with me, a mixture of two or three recipes so if it works I'll try tp ost the recipe - if I can remember it :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox