Register

Foods that should be shelved

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Foods that should be shelved

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:04 am

I never use pre-cut onions. I don´t know how long they´ve been pre-cut.
And anyway, by the time I´ve worked out how to open the bloody child-proof, vacuum-packed plastic package, I could probably have chopped enough onions for a week. :gonzo :gonzo

Postby DEB » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:38 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:02 pm

It's behind the paywall I think, I seem to have the access that allows you to read 2 articles free each week set up on this computer

It's an article by Anthony Warner, aka Angry Chef, on how prepared food is very helpful to the elderly and the disabled so don't knock it especially as the elderly are often malnourished

My Twitter feed is alight with cookery writer very keen on prepared frozen sofrito (diced onion, carrot, celery), which is sold by several supermarkets. Great for those with limited knife skills / dexterity but I'm not sure I'd use it much, it seems to be very finely diced and I seldom need that really. I also question the relative definitions in English of sofrito and mirepoix

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-cooks-ingredients-soffritto-mix/779502-493206-493207?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnqzWBRC_ARIsABSMVTNVx05cjgdzap_vg-3OFMTs0w8rtGOoQlk9QKtbm7iPqiS5f_d4HjMaArSlEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNWNoODGrdoCFekB0wodtdANpQ

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:08 pm

A classic mirepoix is onion, carrot and celery; I believe 2 parts of onion to 1 part of the other, fried very gently or 20 minutes or so.
Is a "sofrito" ( Waitrose have no idea how to spell the word) the same in Spain? I´d have thought they`d use red or green peppers at some stage - and garlic as well.
A "sofrito" in Venezuela involves garlic, onion, "sweet" chile pepper.
A "sofrito" in Mexico would probably have Serrano chiles in it.
Hmmm!

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:46 am

I suppose the Cajun 'Holy Trinity' of onion, celery & peppers is another variation.

I have in the past bought a couple of packs of chopped onions from Tesco, yellow stickered for 10p, on an evening when I was about to go home and start cooking by peeling and chopping onions. These days I've always got onions to use up so it would be silly.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox