Register

New gadgets that work - egg poacher

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: New gadgets that work - egg poacher

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:21 pm

There was a discussion on the other board - several people who have had them have stopped using the boiling taps, one has actually had hers removed

They are apparently very expensive to run, taking special filter cartridges and of course keeping the heat exchanger heated almost all the time

I wouldn't have one

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:25 am

I didn't know that about the expense and the cartridges, Sue.
Back to the kettle it is then.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:39 am

That reminded me of the very first electric kettle my (parental) family had, which was one I bought myself when I started work!

It was always a kettle on the hob, the sound of the whistle when the kettle was boiling now a long gone memory.

I wonder if it's still cheaper to boil an old style kettle on the hob rather than use an electric kettle?

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:48 am

When i visited Sellafield, there was an area dedicated to energy wastage in the home.
Draughty windows. Level 1.

Overfilling a kettle by more than your required amount. Level 2.
Seemingly it hemorrhages energy in the waste stakes.

Postby jeral » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:42 pm

I bought a 1-L kettle because I rarely need even a litre. It seems to be a thing to boil far more than is needed. Maybe it's the fault of big kettles with high minimum fill levels which people exceed "to be on the safe side"?

Aerated taps are appealing (if annoying) but in a limescale heaven area would probably conk out on Day Two. I'd use a pull-out rinsing tap if I had one (and I wasn't paying the water bill).

Postby Pampy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:47 pm

I thought that most kettles these days would boil small amounts of water as the heating element is covered by the bottom of the kettle, so wouldn't complain like older kettles which have the element exposed. Mine happily copes with boiling around 200/250ml for a cuppa.
I also think you use less water with a pull-out tap because it's easy and quick to rinse the sink, rather than having to slosh water up the sides with your hands when you've got a static tap. I have a pull-out and certainly don't use any more water than I used to.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Yes, I agree you use less water with a pull out hose as you can direct it so efficiently

I don't have one but I do have a thing called a Tap Adapta (aerator tap) that also rinses the sink out effectively; they do pick up lime scale, but I just unscrew it and put it in a mug of something that will dissolve it every so often, no problem. I'm about to get my third, the previous ones have each lasted about 7 years, and I'm sure they are the reason my 14 year old white resin sink is still white - because it is so easy to rinse out the sink everybody does so :)

Also agree that modern electric jug kettles are an efficient way of heating a small amount of water - most have fairly accurate volume scales built in too

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:20 am

My kettle is a one cup.
Press a button, and it delivers 1 steaming hot cup of water.

I really miss not having a direction thing on my tap in the kitchen.
I've got a stubby single tap, that doesn't take any fixings or adaptors. I tend to fill the sink with soapy water to keep it all clean around the sink area.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox