Register

Grating Nutmeg & Zesting Lemon: What´s Your Method ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Grating Nutmeg & Zesting Lemon: What´s Your Method ?

Postby Alexandria » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Good Morning, :thumbsup :thumbsup

In my opinión, "Tools deemed essential for cooking are they key to success" ..

For zesting citrus fruits and grating nutmeg, I like a stainless steel Michroplane Rasp ..

For grating Reggiano Parmigiano or Pecorino Sardo, I use a classic 4 sided stainless steel box grater ..

Have a nice day .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Grating Nutmeg & Zesting Lemon: What´s Your Method ?

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:47 pm

I have a microplane too Alexandria, I also use an old fashioned nutmeg grater and for Parmesan I (proudly) use the special grater and cutting wedges I was given when I visited the Headquarters of Reggiano some years ago.

If I need thin peel , ratehr than zest from citrus fruit i have a hand held thing like this:http://www.lakeland.co.uk/6304/OXO-Good-Grips-Lemon-Zester

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:16 pm

I use my ancient microplane for zesting and sometimes for nutmeg

Good Anthony Worrall Thompson tip, hd it curved side up and use it like you are filing your nails, then the zest stays in the curve

Until recently I had a nutmeg mill, it broke after 20 years hard labour and will be replaced, very useful for adding a hint to a sauce or a potato dish

I use a box grater for most things,but also bought a flat grater with large holes as it's a nuisance to clean a box grater just for one carrot

I have a storage box with a built in grater for parmesan, grates to just the right size and very handy

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Hi all

I have a fine Microplane grater which I use for citrus zest.

I also use an ancient box grater for most other items, including parmesan. One of the sides is fine (thankfully without the sticking out bits which traps everything you grate it on, although that's on the opposite side to the coarse one).

I also have a smallish curved but flat grater which I think is meant to be a parmesan one, it came with a risotto kit I got for a Christmas present ages ago. This is the one I grate nutmeg on because it's the perfect size for that.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:06 am

Joan, :thumbsup

We have a contact in the designation of origin of Reggiano Parmigiano, and yes, I would love to get a special grater from them.

Thank you for the info on the citrus peel toy and zester .. I shall check into this ..

And also check with some of the distribtuors that collaborate with my twin sons company too.

Thank you and have a lovely evening ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renée » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:50 pm

I use a fine microplane grater for citrus zest and Parmesan Reggiano and a very fine one for nutmeg.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:10 am

Renée, :thumbsup

Definitely looks like I am going to buy a new "microplane grater" for citrus zest and a new one just for Parmigiano from the Parma region.

I am not a grand fan of box graters .. What a hassle to clean and then wash .. Need a new one ..

I have also seen some nice ones in the California Company, Williams Sonoma Catalog however, I would prefer to have an Italian one specially made for Parmigiano grating ..

Have a lovely evening and thank you for the feedback .. :wave

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:20 am

This is the kind I bought to save cleaning the box grater

Postby Alexandria » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:55 am

Stokey Sue, :thumbsup

Definitely a must have !

Thank you for posting the photograph ..

I shall take a look around the cookware shops on Friday ..

Have a lovely day ..

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:56 am

No internet since last Thursday, so I´ve been offline :crying1
A friend of mine came back from Grenada a few years ago with a gift pack of nutmegs - and a little tiny grater attached. That´s what I keep in my nutmeg jar and that´s what I always use.
For zesting a lemon, I usually use the box grater - thin side - although I can´t honestly say I grate many lemons!

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:53 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:A friend of mine came back from Grenada a few years ago with a gift pack of nutmegs - and a little tiny grater attached.

I have a couple of those from a Grenada trip too & enough nutmegs to last for years - I had strings of nutmeg 'necklaces' hanging up in the kitchen for a couple of years after too - not to use just pretty! The Grenadians use nutmeg in one form or another for all sorts of ailments - I've still got an unopened bottle of nutmeg syrup that I don't know what to do with!

I use my ancient nutmeg mill & for zesting, a microplane - I have a very vicious microplane box grater too that will have your skin off in seconds! For carrot etc. strips I have a pronged handheld gizmo that you just pull over the carrot & end up with uniform strips - or I just use a potato peeler.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Yes, I've got a prong thingy for strips for salad
They call them julienne cutters, and I know some people use them to make courgetti, but mine makes very fine strips, more like vermicelli than spaghetti, really nice for garnishing salads and noodles but not a practical alternative to a spiraliser

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Yes, I've got a prong thingy for strips for salad
They call them julienne cutters, and I know some people use them to make courgetti, but mine makes very fine strips, more like vermicelli than spaghetti, really nice for garnishing salads and noodles but not a practical alternative to a spiraliser

I love my spiroloser though it did take me a while to get the hang of it. I also love my Kitchen Aid mincer attachment. It deal with raw and cooked meats in a flash and is far easier to lcean than the Spong one I used to use clamped to the kitchen table - It belonged to my grandmother and I still have it.

Postby Lizzie-47 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Joan, I have a Spong coffee grinder that my sister bought for me at an auction - I use it for grinding spices, and love it to bits!

Postby scullion » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:18 pm

one of these for parmesan - sorry it's come out as rather a large pic - the gadget is about 4" high
Italian+Italian+Stainless+Steel+Parmesan+Grater.jpg
Italian+Italian+Stainless+Steel+Parmesan+Grater.jpg (33.88 KiB) Viewed 3730 times

or sometimes a microplane grater

a similar one of these for zest - mine has a teardrop shape rather than 'pessary' like

images lemon zester.jpg
images lemon zester.jpg (3.88 KiB) Viewed 3730 times

one of these for nutmegs, but mine has a loop from one side of the top to the other

Stainless-Steel-Nutmeg-Grater-Slicer-Dicer-Walnut-Grater-SE1402-.jpg
Stainless-Steel-Nutmeg-Grater-Slicer-Dicer-Walnut-Grater-SE1402-.jpg (9.64 KiB) Viewed 3730 times

and ...

Postby scullion » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:22 pm

... an extremely old one of these, also for nutmegs.

$_1 grater.jpg
$_1 grater.jpg (24.1 KiB) Viewed 3730 times

Postby scullion » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Yes, I've got a prong thingy for strips for salad

i have two different sizes of julienne peelers. the larger makes more like the size of spaghetti.
my daughter did a test of a few different types of spiralisers and decided that the julienne peeler overall, was the best when cost, storage, ease of cleaning and use, and end produce were taken into account. she then bought us and my son one for christmas.

i have a spong coffee grinder that i was bought for my twenty third birthday, an inherited spong mincer and maybe another spong mincer in the loft from before we could afford a food processor - or it may have been sent to a charity shop.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Scuillon, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you very much for posting all your "kitcheny graters & zest graters" ..

I would love one of these Parmigiano Toys ..

I have my dad looking into it .. He has a company which services the hospitality industry (hotels and restaurants ) and we have a few Italian Distributors .. I also have friends in Italy so I shall write them or call them at the weekend ..

All my best for a lovely day ..

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:59 pm

Postby mark111757 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:48 pm

Depends on my mood....sometimes for citrus zest or garlic, a microplane grater. If I want bigger, then there is this

51yCWMmkxHL._AC_US218_.jpg
51yCWMmkxHL._AC_US218_.jpg (9.76 KiB) Viewed 3679 times

For fruit and veg, a good old fashion knuckle buster. Would do nutmeg on it too...

41PJV5q4iaL._AC_UL246_SR190,246_.jpg
41PJV5q4iaL._AC_UL246_SR190,246_.jpg (11.12 KiB) Viewed 3679 times

Tho this intrigues me and the price is good

51dr3nUH7UL._AC_US218_.jpg
51dr3nUH7UL._AC_US218_.jpg (11.17 KiB) Viewed 3679 times

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox