Register

What Sandwiches Rock Your Boat ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

What Sandwiches Rock Your Boat ?

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:40 pm

A few of our faves are: :wave

1) Carrozza ( Fried Mozzarella di Bufala ) ..
2) A classic tuna salad, with minced celery & home made Mayonaise on a French Style Baguette or Spanish Chapata ..
3) On Olive Bread, Iberian Acorn Fed Ham from Dehuesa, Badajoz, Extremadura ( or Proscuitto ) with Dijon ..
4) A grilled French or Swiss Emmenthal or Provolone on seeded Rye bread with tomato ..
5) A classic Egg salad on Swiss or German black bread ..
6) A Spanish (Bocadillo) Bar Treat, a French Omelette ! with lettuce and tomato ..
7) A NYC Ruben ..
8) Very Spanish, fried calamari on a Spanish Loaf ..

Off top, these are our faves which we have from time to time .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Site Admin

Re: What Sandwiches Rock Your Boat ?

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:35 am

When I'm in the mood, a simple crusty roll with boiled egg, tomato and salt and white pepper is every bit as good as any gourmet concoction. It has to be white pepper.

Another treat is Milano salami with runny Brie de Meaux or Camembert in crusty bread.

This is one of the best sandwiches I ever had, from B&K Salt Beef Bar in Edgware, what was once voted the best salt beef bar in London. Classic hot salt beef on rye with gherkin and mustard. I weighed the salt beef, and there was 3/4 of a pound of it (340g)!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:57 am

Love a good salt beef on rye, they tend to serve hot salt beef in bagels now, so wrong.

Egg salad or chopped liver in a bagel though is good, or classic London lox and schmear - bagel split, spread with cream cheese and filled with smoked salmon (preferably Forman's or Steve Hatt's)

Another East End favourite is egg and anchovy.

But the best sandwich is fresh dressed crab on brown bread, eaten sitting in the sun on the sea wall outside a pub on the south coast, washed down with a glass of local cider

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:35 am

Cheddar cheese and beetroot. Black pepper.
A classic NY Reuben sandwich. With abundant pickles.
Pan Bagnat - the classic salade niçoise in a soft roll.
Smoked salmon, cream cheese mixed with chives and dill, capers and a poached egg, on half a baguette.
Sausage sarnie - white bread, slathered with butter & Colman´s mustard, fried onions. Add an egg if you wish!
Tuna salad sandwich - preferably in a bap so the filling doesnt fall out.
Muffalata - a classic from Sicily.
Elvis Presley´s Peanut butter and banana sandwich.
Berlitz Croydon Sandwich Bar - 1976: white bread, cream cheese, grated cheddar, and a salad made with diced tomatoes, peppers, celery, onions and fresh green chiles.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:52 am

Karakoolaide, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Yes a Ruben from the one hundred and 40 year old Katz´s Deli in Manhattan´s East Village ! Simply non repeatable and extraordinary ..

Great list !

Thank you for all your feedback .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:54 am

Sakkarin, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Wonderful selection ..

Looks heavenly appetising for a carnivore´s craving every so often ! :clap :clap

Have a lovely day and Thank you for all your feedback ..

Postby Alexandria » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:56 am

Stokey Sue, :wave

The crab sandwich on black bread, surely does take one to a beachside café bistro ..

Definitely lovely ..

Thank you for your feedback .. :thumbsup

Postby Alexandria » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:03 am

Karakoolaide, :clap :clap

Many years ago, my husband and I were visiting a dear lady friend of mine who lived on Miami Beach.

She took us to a tiny bistro called Lu Lu´s, then owned by the Hakman family on Washington Avenue and 9th Street. It was quite a unique little venue ..

The special of the bistro was the Elvis Sándwich prepared with peanut butter, griiled cheese & bananas almost similar to a grilled cheese ..

My husband and I had shared one ..

It was fun but I am not a grand fan of peanut butter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:43 am

Never mind the Elvis sandwich :D - crime fiction fans might prefer a Kinsey Millhone - peanut butter and sliced dill pickle for those of us who regards peanut butter as more savoury than sweet (it is genuinely good; I use Lidl's dill pickle slices, which I really recommend in sandwiches and burgers)

And while we are on literary sandwiches this year on 16th June (Bloomsday) perhaps we should consume the sandwich Mr Bloom ate at Davy Byrne's pub. To be washed down with a good glass of burgundy. I admit to not having tried Gorgonzola with mustard, it sounds a little odd

(Ulysses, Chapter 8: Lestrygonians)

- Sliced soda bread
- Thick slab of Gorgonzola cheese
- Pungent mustard
- Sliced tomatoes
- Butter lettuce leaves
- Unsalted butter
- Fresh ground pepper
Butter the bread, slather with mustard, layer with lettuce, tomato, add a thick slab of Gorgonzola cheese and sprinkle with pepper.

Postby mark111757 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:00 am

In no particular order, egg salad (crushed eggs, hellmans mayo and hot dog mustard and a touch of cider vinegar). As the king of stylee would say , it's all about balance.

Reuben on good rye bread With Xtra 1000 island dressing on the side.

Tuna melt....tuna fish, with miracle whip salad dressing, a bread size piece of cheese on either side of tuna and toasted white bread, using a little mayo to get nice and brown and crispy.

Fried Bologna Sammich......grill the Bologna on both sides, slice of cheese on both sides of Bologna. Spread a little mayo on the bread and put it together, bread, cheese, Bologna/2 pieces, cheese and bread. Grill till cheese melted. Mmmmmmm!!@

There may be more!!

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:25 am

Mark, :thumbsup

A Ruben ! Yes, this was alot of fun eating in N.Y.C. ´s in the East Village Deli, Katz´s .. Reminded me of the film, When Harry met Sally !

Have a great day .. :clap :thumbsup :wave

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:57 am

I quite like a breakfast in a baguette. Bacon, sausage, egg with or without the addition of tomatoes mushrooms or onions. As an occasional treat of course. Especially if passing Walker's on the 1065 at Barton Mills. There used to be a good one at Crew's Hill too, not sure if they're still there.

Less excessively, bacon sandwiches. I don't agree with the idea that they are best with white sliced bread, preferring something with a crust and some flavour. Even better with a bit of poultry or rabbit liver.

Sausage sandwiches too. (English) mustard on them.

I like salt beef in a sandwich, but prefer it with tomato and dijon mustard.

Cold roast beef with horseradish

Hot roast pork with apple sauce & (English) mustard

Cheese & onion

Hot Stilton & mushroom baguette. First tried it at the servery at Titchwell RSPB reserve. They've changed menu and no longer do it, so have it at home now.

Crab of course.

Smoked salmon of course too

I imagine I'd like a classic Po' Boy sandwich but have never had one.

I used to love a 'sunshine egg sandwich' as a kid, just an omelette sandwich with brown sauce on it. My take on pan bagna in the 70s was anchovy, raw garlic and salad. Used to cause a stir in lectures...

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:04 am

@ Badger, :wave

Thank you for your feedback ..

A blue cheese melt sounds just up my alley .. I am a cheese a holic ! I limit myself to just weekends .. :lol: :lol:

Yes, I am a baguette or chapata or grissini bread stick woman totally.

I do not buy nor eat "plastic bread chockful of additives and chemicals" ..

I like crunch & rustic country dark breads, a penchant of mine ..

Have a lovely day .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:24 am

I used to eat sandwiches so much, I wasn't tasting the ingredients no matter how high I packed it in.

Can't eat a baguette, my front crown cost £1500. I'd hate to pay that again.

Club sandwich is the one that rocks my boat.
Tortilla sandwich, lovely.

Chip buttie anyone? Food for the Gods.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:38 pm

For me the best crab sandwiches in the world are eateb at the Jolly Fisherman a pub in Craster Northumberland.

http://www.thejollyfishermancraster.co.uk/
In the same village as the famous Robsons smoke house - home of Craster kippers :yum

We had tuna moyo sandwiches for lunch today with chopped spring onions and celery and sliced cucumber on top, all on spelt bread.

Other favourites are sliced chicken, or Cheddar cheese, watercress and marmite.

Ham and pease puddn' on a stottie of course same bread with cheese savoury -ie grated cheese ab=nd raw onion with salad cream - got to be salad cream

Goat's cheese and beetroot with a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar

Pan Bagnat for sure

Club sandwich with bacon, avocado and a thin slice of chicken

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:05 pm

Gilt Painter & Joan, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Wow Ladies ..

Some truly gorgeous sandwich ideas ..

Thank you for all the feedback ..

Have a lovely evening .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby mark111757 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:00 pm

As far as takeaway, a parma ham sub is a treat......as is a bacon sub.

A sammich I've had that was quite the mouthful was known as the griller.

2 beef patties, would get with cheese, served between two grilled cheese sammiches with lettuce onion and macho (house) sauce....only cost $5.49 and tax

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:58 am

Alexandria wrote:Stokey Sue, :wave

The crab sandwich on black bread, surely does take one to a beachside café bistro ..

Not so much a cafe bistro but an English pub such as this one, which is just a short walk from where I grew up

Postby Alexandria » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:24 am

Stokey Sue, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Very nice rural countryside venue ..

Enjoy !

Thank you for your feedback .. :wave

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:58 am

My favourite sandwiches are as follows:

Club
chicken, sweetcorn and mayo
NYC deli
NYC Reubens
cheddar and pickle
any sandwich made with a tortilla wrap
bacon in a crusty roll (I'm with Badgers Mate here!)
pork, cheese and pickle toastie
hard boiled egg and smoked salmon with chopped gherkins and dill. this is mixed with mayo again
pulled pork and coleslaw
Po boy sub of some kind, either with scampi or breaded mushrooms

Now for a few North East classics:

chips and gravy
Ham and pease pudding stottie (or a mini one using a Warburtons sliced soft roll)
Cheese savoury

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox