Register

What Sandwiches Rock Your Boat ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What Sandwiches Rock Your Boat ?

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:28 am

Strictly Salsa Clare,

:thumbsup :thumbsup Definitely a Ruben from the Nyc Deli, Katz´s ( 135 - 140 years old ) ..

Thank you for all your feedback ..

Have a lovely holiday weekend .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:45 am

One more, cold roast pheasant.

I tend to have melted cheese as cheese on toast rather than a sandwich, so don't count that, although have loved it dearly all my life. I also like tortillas (including tostadas, tacos burritos and quesadillas) but don't regard them as sandwiches. Similarly roti, doubles, Shark and bake, buss-up-shut or various things on puri in Indian restaurants, for that matter. All are lovely. :D

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi Alexandria

I've never been to NYC and can't guarantee that I will ever get there, let alone to Katz' Deli, although it would be nice! Luckily I have found some recipes for them on an American food magazine website. I have there fore made some modified versions of it using a seeded bread, pastrami instead of rye and a quick pickled white cabbage recipe which works just as well as sauerkraut!

I can now add another sandwich filling which rocks my boat. It may seem a bit trailer trash but this version takes a humble sandwich up several notches. It's breaded fish fingers, with tartare sauce and mushy peas on a lightly toasted ciabatta roll. Mr Strictly had one for his lunch at work earlier this week and was enthusiastically telling me about it as he was taking his coat off that night. I decided that it would be the perfect lunch for us today and by golly it was! :yum

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:26 pm

Coincidentally, we had fish fingers, mushy peas and crusty bread with tartare sauce today, just not in a sandwich. :D

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:12 am

Strictly Saint Clare,

Thank you for your feedback .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

I am sure your Ruben is wonderful. I like the idea of the pickled white cabbage ..

I have never tried making one at home however, Friday´s has a " faux " Ruben which we share on a rare occasion.

We fly over to Manhattan every year to year and a half to see clients in the tourism industry and so, we always go over to Katz´s ..

All my best for a lovely holiday weekend ..

12.10am over here .. Time to get some rest, as I am working this weekend ( travel operator & tour guide ) ..

:wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:19 am

Badger, :wave :wave

Thank you for all your feedback ..

Breaded fish sounds lovely .. :wave :wave

Breaded boquerones ( fresh anchovies ) are a fave tapa in Cadiz, Andalusia ..

I like breaded boneless chicken breast too on a chapata ( cibatta ) with ali oli or home made mayonaise ..

Have a lovely Easter weekend ..

Off for some shut eye .. :wave :wave

Must be up at 6am to meet for a 7am breakfast ( tour operating and guiding ) ..

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox