Register

standard weights and measures

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: standard weights and measures

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:46 pm

I can remember Blue Band packed in little blocks in a bigger box.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:32 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:I can remember Blue Band packed in little blocks in a bigger box.

:klingonbanana :limbobanana

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:09 am

:D

Postby Pampy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:19 pm

My Mum and Grandma hardly ever used scales - just an old silver serving spoon to measure dry ingredients and by eye for liquids. Both used to produce lovely food. My Grandma cooked on a range (the old fashioned type - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=old+f ... AUkhTOKV6M:) for many years and she produced the most fantastic meals - roast dinners, the lot! She almost always had a pan of peas and ham hock on the go too. An abiding memory for me is toasting bread on a toasting fork - it somehow tasted better than when it was made under a grill or in a toaster. She used to press tongue and cure ham - virtually everything she did was completely made from scratch - how she did it, I can't guess but I suppose that she must have spent most of her time producing food.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:40 pm

I've still got Gran's toasting fork. It hangs on a hook next to the woodburner and is still used for it's original purpose. The GC's love making toast if they are here at the right time of year when we can also get out the chestnut pan.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:57 pm

We had central heating installed in 1966, using a smokeless solid fuel 'room heater', basically a coal fire with a glass door and a back boiler. It made great toast and (with care) jacket spuds in the ash pan.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox