Register

ryvita ideas

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: ryvita ideas

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Sue.
Looks like you are on point. Jamie O'lover is doing nduja spaghetti and vongole on Channel 4 tonight 8pm.
Quick n easy. I'm not sure he does anything else, does he?

https://www.facebook.com/jamieoliver/vi ... 578669807/

Think I might watch, if there's not a programming clash.

Postby jeral » Mon May 21, 2018 4:19 pm

Thanks for the heads up Gillthepainter. I'd never heard of nduja so we'll hopefully see what sort Jamie uses and how in a pasta dish if its sold (or also sold) as a spread.

@mark111757: I'll report back after the prog if I glean anything you might find helpful, although it would be the blind leading the blind, doh!, so hopefully a more knowledgeable person would know more about the nduja that you can get in the US than I.

Postby mark111757 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks guys......I did not see any extra listings for the show. So the king of stylee is back. I will check it out when it hits the down load circuit...

Postby mark111757 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:20 pm

There is product called nduja for fa sale at Walmart.com

Postby jeral » Tue May 22, 2018 3:25 pm

mark111757, Here goes:
The Italian nduja Jamie used looked like a small slab of squashy sausage mix, decidedly paprika red coloured. (To me, the texture looked like an ordinary soft sausage mix before it's put into a skin.) He said it included different types of pork (I don't know if he meant the cuts or cured or both) plus lots of spicing.

Jamie pulled little bits off and briefly melted them down to "nothing" in a hot frying pan, the intention being to use the resultant oily mush for a flavour coating when he stirred/tossed the cooked clams and linguine in it. So there were no discrete slices or chunks of nduja in the finished dish (that I could see).

I'd think your locally available spread looks similar, but I've no idea if it'd be genuine Italian, or if it would make much taste difference if it weren't since Jamie equated nduja with chorizo anyway so it can't be that special, just Italian not Spanish. Presumably USA-made wouldn't carry the wasteful transcontinental air miles or shipping cost either.

HTH

PS: Might want to check if yours is "Ready to eat" or needs cooking, as chorizo can be either.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 22, 2018 7:11 pm

I didn't warch Jamie, but your description of nduja as having the same squidgy texture as raw sausage meat is spot on.

The Walmart stuff looks good Mark

I've had both UK and Italian made nduja in London, it varies a bit but it's always quite strongly flavoured and soft

In my experience (eaten it in Minorca and Mallorca) Sobresada is a bit less spicy and a bit more coarsely ground, though not chunky.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox