Register

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Postby Sakkarin » Tue May 08, 2018 9:28 pm

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
I've had a bit of a scare a few days ago, when my webspace provider informed me that support for the system (PHP4) this board runs on will be stopped on May 28th. For a while it looked as if the board might disappear, as I could find no easy way of upgrading, and my technical knowledge is very out of date.

However after a lot of work, fortunately I've resolved the problem, and managed to update and recreate a mirror copy of the entire site in a more recent version and on the new updated system, complete with all posts and membership details.

The only thing is that we will have to eventually lose the "look and feel" of this site, which is based on a plug-in theme called "Helion" which is no longer supported.

The new site would temporarily look very similar to the Wildfood site, which is in "Prosilver", the default style for this PHPBB forum script. UPDATE I'VE CHANGED THE COLOR, CHANGED TO SQUARE BORDERS AND DONE A FEW OTHER TWEAKS SO IT'S NOT EXACTLY THE SAME.

We could theoretically carry on with THIS board now, but with 57,000 posts, it has a huge unwieldy database, and is not very well organised so you have to dig through layers to get to the main board.

Now that I've already cracked making a mirror site on the "sakkarin.co,uk" webspace, I think it's a good opportunity to have a clearout, and I propose to start a new board, carrying over the most recent 50 or so threads, and also a few "favourite" historical threads. If anyone has any old threads they would like/feel should be continued from the past, let me know.

All the other confusing boards and levels will go, so the main "Food and Chatterbox" section will be the only board. Don't forget the old posts will still be in the archived forum. New forums are easy to introduce, I've added a dummy one so you can see the idea.

TEST THE NEW SITE
For a test run, a dummy of the new site is at the address below.

You may have to log in, but your password and username should be exactly the same as here.

Feel free to post test posts, but they will NOT be on the real site which is still live. When everyone has had their say, I will lock the old site, update it to the new system, and create a new version of this new site with all the latest posts, and any tweaks that are agreed from the discussion thread.

http://www.sakkarin.co.uk/beebforum

As you can see, it's a simpler address, straight to "beebforum", which lands at the Food Chat front page. If you can think of a better name for the page than "beebforum", let me know. I might go with "foodforum" as it was on the old site.

I've started a new thread on it for reactions and suggestions.

Please bear with me, all this new coding is scrambling my brain, it's a long time since I did it for a living!

Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 08, 2018 9:56 pm

Thank you very much Sakaarin!

Link took me through to the main site, kept me logged in, and I could read it

RESULT!!!!

:birthday-dancer :birthday-dancer :birthday-dancer

Postby Renée » Tue May 08, 2018 11:09 pm

What a worry for you Sakkarin ... I'm so sorry. Thank you very much for all that you've done to keep the board going.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 09, 2018 9:08 am

Brilliant.
Thanks Sakkers.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed May 09, 2018 9:58 am

What an absolute PITA for you Sakkarin - it's a good thing for the rest of us that you know what you're doing.......!

Thanks so much for all your time & hard work to keep us going :newhuggy

That link worked perfectly - took me straight to the main page & I didn't need to log in again.

Postby Pampy » Wed May 09, 2018 12:40 pm

Sakkarin - absolutely brilliant - thank you so much for all the hard work that you put into this site. Like the others, the link took me straight to the new site without any problems.
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Postby Joanbunting » Wed May 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Brilliant work and huge thanks Sakkers. Yet again you are a star! Magic1 Magic1

Postby jeral » Wed May 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Sakkarin, thank you once again for your success in the face of adversity. You'd have thought it was in PHP's interest for new software to be easily backwards compatible and transferable by their customers.

A URL name without "beeb" would be preferable IMO. It's not relevant any more and it's perhaps possible that you could be accused of "passing off" since it's a universal nickname for, well, the Beeb.

I can't think of a better name than "foodforum" except maybe "foodyforum" being less formal so more inviting (to me at least).

Postby miss mouse » Wed May 09, 2018 9:01 pm

The link worked for me.

I had to login (no big deal of course) and repeat visits have kept me logged in.

You are a marvel to do this Sakkarin, many thanks.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 12, 2018 3:39 am

Well done, Sakkers!

Serve yourself a large glass of Dom Perignon!

Postby Bethgem » Tue May 22, 2018 2:01 pm

Hi Sakkarin,
I've just seen my email telling me about the move so I tried it; I'm all signed in.
You have had to do a lot to make the move and it is appreciated.
I will visit more often, hopefully, since I've been making more cakes and pies and tarts. It's a Mary Berry tart today.
Cheers :)

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 23, 2018 7:48 am

Twill be lovely to see more of you, Bethgem.

Site Admin

LATEST NEWS

Postby Sakkarin » Wed May 23, 2018 7:45 pm

Will be doing changes later tonight so keep your fingers crossed. DON'T RESPOND TO THIS POST.

The site will be locked or invisible while I'm doing it, so please don't use either site if you get strange messages.

The new address will be
http://www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforum

THERE'S NOTHING THERE YET. The site you saw previously was a test site and at a different address (/beebforum).

Please don't use it till tomorrow, unless I post saying it's ready to go.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox