Register

Valentine Warner-What to eat now.

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Valentine Warner-What to eat now.

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:38 pm

We tried this recently, it's been on my to do list for some time, thanks to Denadar, and I must say-WOW!
I knew I'd love it, anchovies and olives are two of my most favourite foods,but even I couldn't have predicted how brilliant it would be.
The flavours were just 'there'.
Now, I did adapt it, to use a pork shank I'd picked up reduced in Morrison's, I also used my slow cooker and left out the fennel ,(I know, I know, will explain), but this is really a fantastic dish.
You must try it.

Re fennel- I'd never tried fennel, it didn't appeal at all, but felt I should at least give it a go.
I knew it was in this dish, and Denadar had said she felt it was essential, so I thought I'd serve it as a side dish.
I tried a piece raw, wasn't keen-texture of celery, flavour of aniseed as I thought, so I did it griddled, and it was transformed, I really liked it, and it worked wonderfully with the stew.
Daughter didn't like it at all so I'm glad I left it out. It would have been a shame if it had ruined the stew for us if we'd both have not liked the flavour of the fennel.
I also did the dressed puy lentils from HFW's Veg everyday book, which my pulse not keen on daughter raved about!

All in all, a fabulous meal, and firmly on the favourite list.

(I copied and pasted that over from a thread on the beeb, for anyone who didn't see it there)

This week, we also tried the mussel empanadas and the squid with capers and harissa.

I've never deep fried pastry before, and it worked, lovely, crispy and crumbly, with the most delicious filling. I loved the richness of the hard boiled egg in it.
I served just with some mixed leaves and cherry toms, which I also served with the squid.
We loved it, the flavours were so punchy, spicy, salty, sour, slightly sweet.

I'd make both again.

Next to try is the alpine macaroni, perhaps next week if I can fit it in.

I love this book

Re: Valentine Warner-What to eat now.

Postby hungryhousewife » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi Magicmarmite! I am so glad you are enjoying that book. I have a copy and haven't used it yet, but with your and Dena's excitement, I really must give it a whirl!

I've been making lamb tagine today, and chocolate ganache tarts!
HH

Postby Suelle » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:42 pm

You obviously enjoyed what you cooked, MagicMarmite - but you didn't actually tell us what it was! :D

Also, and this is just my opinion, if you left out something as strongly flavoured as fennel, for whatever reason, I don't think you can recommend the original recipe, as you haven't really made it! Actually using the fennel in the dish instead of serving it alongside, would have completely altered the flavour.

I'm not criticising you changing the recipe - I often alter recipes to account for familiy members' likes and dislikes, but I alternate between amusement and annoyance to read reviews of recipes which say something along the lines of - this was (or wasn't) a good recipe; I used pork instead of chicken, left out the peppers and added some chilli. That sort of review tells us very little about the original recipe! Negative reviews, particularly when someone has made substantial alterations, are particulalry annoying.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Ha ha! MagicMarmite, I've reset the board so that posters can edit their posts, so you can revise your original post if you want!

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:56 pm

It was the pork, anchovy and olive stew, which was clearer on the beeb as it was the title, messed that up a bit!

You are right Suelle in that it wasn't the original dish, no, I should have gone on to say that my version was great, and I know Denadar, and someone else on another site have raved about the original.

I too hate negative reviews of changed dishes.

I love everything I've tried of his HH, and his writing is wonderful.

Postby hungryhousewife » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:57 pm

Its sort of 'winter food' weather again - so could be a good possibility soon- I have dog-eared the page!
HH

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox