Register

Gin

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

Gin

Postby Frillz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Gin's been having quite a resurgence I think.

My favourites are Blackwood's Vintage http://blackwoodsgin.net/mint.php made from botanicals harvested in Shetland and varying every year depending on what's grown well, and Tanqueray.

Lately though I've been reading about some quite exciting and different gins and wonder if anyone's tried them?

Here are a couple of new ideas.

Hoxton Gin (saw this mentioned on a blog and noticed Sainsbury's stocking it)
http://www.hoxtongin.com/

A gin that takes the classic Juniper driven character and adds something exotic. Wicked! Distilled with coconut and grapefruit, Hoxton Gin is uniquely smooth and rounded

and Portobello Gin, which I think I heard (on Sunday Brunch) will let you blend your own gin if you try theirs and don't like it - not sure if that's correct, but they do offer a class to blend your own
http://portobellostarbar.co.uk/ginstitutelondon/
Longtime lapsed BBC Food Board contributer

Re: Gin

Postby MrsWW » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Hendricks Gin is rather nice with slimline tonic, ice and a slice of cucumber.

Postby Frillz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:42 pm

Oh yes, we have a bottle of that too.

I find it works best in the better weather though, don't you? like Pimm's, or Campari and Orange, I think of it as a refreshing summer drink.
Or that could just be me.

Postby Puss-in-boots » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi Frillz, funny you should mention Gin. I don`t drink it but my DIL loves the stuff. When we were in London over easter she mentioned that they had tried this Welsh Gin somewhere in the vale but couldn`t remember what it was called, i have since found it but don`t want to tell her where to get it as i want to buy it for her birthday. Tesco, Asda & Morrison stock it lets just hope she doesn`t get to it first eh! ;)

I have found the website for you to have a look at

http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/

Puss.x

Postby Frillz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi Puss, I actually heard of Welsh Whiskey the other day for the first time. I didn't know they distilled Gin too. I'll take a look.
When you're stuck for an unusual gift it's nice to find small producers - makes a very nice change.

Postby Puss-in-boots » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:31 pm

Funny isn`t it Frillz, i didn`t know that the distillery did Gin until then as i normally buy eldest son the penderyn whiskey for birthday or christmas. The price difference is quite a lot as the whiskey is 30 quid plus (pound sign won`t work) and the Gin is only 16-17 pound.

I got him the Madiera whiskey and i have to admit although i`m not a lover of shorts found this one to be silky smooth, probably the best out of all of them.

Postby Puss-in-boots » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Frillz you have just given mean idea. I will keep an eye on the ones you mention also and get one of those for christmas as i want to get her the welsh one she asked for for her birthday in July.

Postby tizmelouise » Wed May 02, 2012 7:30 pm

I love Gin but am fairly fussy however Lidl do a LUSH one London Hill in the square bottle its 43 percent and 11.99 a litre sometimes 2 for 20 pounds - they however don't always have it in but keep an eye out I really recommend it - other than that I only really like Gordons, or Plymouth, but at the food and drink show tasted some lovely but waay too expensive for me organic gins!

Postby cooksalot » Wed May 02, 2012 10:51 pm

Asda's own brand London gin is very reasonably priced. Has anyone tried it? Is it any good?

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 03, 2012 1:53 pm

Gin is my tipple of choice!

Like Plymouth (can't get it here) and so usually "make do" with Gordons.

My absolute favourite though is Dutch gin - especially the Oulde sort. As I can only get it when our Dutch-born neighbour goes home or we pass through Luxembourg, which we haven't done in ages.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 03, 2012 3:09 pm

The best gin I have ever had was Tanqueray 10; as it is about £35 per litre, it is not my usual tipple, I was lucky enough to be in an airport the weekend they launched it & got a bottle at a good price.

Foiling that, I like Plymouth, Beefeater or Whitley Neill (occasionally on offer at Waitrose)

Whitley Neill
http://www.waitrosewine.com/230446339/Product.aspx

The supermarket own brand,nearly all made by Greenall are generally fine, and I keep meaning to try Greenall's own new premium gin, Bloom

http://www.waitrosewine.com/231158609/Product.aspx

Postby denada » Thu May 03, 2012 3:57 pm

Tanqueray10 is excellent I agree Sue, my gin of choice at the moment. I do like the Tanqueray Rangpur for a change though. OH prefers Hendricks, straight with a slice of cucumber. Plymouth is another one we like, and Bombay Sapphire. Oh dear, I think I'm giving a bad impression here!

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu May 03, 2012 5:10 pm

I had a G&T last night, for the first time in absolute ages! We had some Bombay Saphire and I made a really good one - slug of gin, squeeze of lime and lime around the top of the glass - a couple of ice cubes and Schwepps tonic - I have to say, I'm not really too much of a gin connoisseur - but when it comes to tonic water I am so particular - it has to be Schwepps for me - Canada Dry, Fever Tree are just not right to me - and absolutely forget anything diet - I can taste the sweeteners so strongly - Yuck!

Last summer we were asked to a rather grand (supposedly, anyway) drinks party where they had obviously gone to quite a lot of effort to impress - beautiful flowers, delightful canapés served by charming waiting staff in a huge marquee - and horror of horrors - Pimms made with diet lemonade! It was undrinkeable (especially as they didn't have any ice, so it was not chilled!) Such a shame - :vomit (Yay!! I've found something to use the vomiting smilie with!!)
HH

Return to Beverages