Register

Chateauneuf or Chat en Ouef

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

Chateauneuf or Chat en Ouef

Postby Wokman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Chateauneuf du Pape is my wine of choice and I have a young 3 year old bottle in the kitchen. However whilst on a recent trip to London I was introduced to a wine called Chat en Ouef and it was about £6.- a bottle and they are selling it at our local Morrisons for about the same price.

When I looked for it online the prices seem to range from about £6.- to £68.-

If you have a look at this you will see what I mean:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=chat+en+oeuf&hl=en

Re: Chateauneuf or Chat en Ouef

Postby cooksalot » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:09 pm

I've bought the Chat on Ouef one from Waitrose before - not bad either. At one point I saw a bottle of South African red called "Goats do Roam in Villages". Plonk with humour! :)

Postby Wokman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:27 pm

I wonder if the play on words is just a ploy to get the smaller producers into the market with the big boys ?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Chat en Oeuf has been around a while - if you look at the logo, a cartoon cat (chat) on (en) an egg (oeuf) it is a fairly obvious play on words

Of course it is nothing to to do with Chateauneuf du Pape, not even the same region Chateauneuf is a Rhone wine from the Rhone Alpes and mailny GSM (Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre grapes)

Chat en Oeuf is vin de Pays d'Oc from Languedoc-Rousillon on the Med Sea, and various grape varieties

It is a perfectly drinkable vin de pays in my expeerience, a decent house wine

When I looked for it online the prices seem to range from about £6.- to £68.-

Think you'll find £68 is hte case price, it should be £5.50 - £6.50 per bottle

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:34 pm

A friend bought us a bottle of Chat en oeuf a couple of years ago. i think it was being sold in aid of some wildlife charity.

It was absolutely correct and we enjoyed it (and the joke).

We live within immediate striking distance of Chateauneuf du Pape and it is one of our preferred wines in the cellar.
M's party trick is to recite all 13 grape varieties allowed in said wine. I have to say that the white stuff, at the right age, is utterly wonderful

Postby Wokman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:04 pm

You are right of course Sue, probably a case of me typing full throttle with the brain still in neutral. :lol:

Postby Frillz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:32 pm

I like Chateauneuf du Pape both red and white, but I do buy the Cat on the Egg rosé which is a drinkable 'quaffing' wine

The label and the play on words amuse me :mrgreen:

I usually get it when on special offer, used to be able to pick it up in Waitrose for a fiver, more since the increases, but still cheap here
http://www.frenchwines-direct.co.uk/ when they have stocks*

Not tried the Red though, I haven't drunk very much red at all in recent years.

*I don't have any affiliation with this site, just a customer and I've just placed an order :mrgreen:
Longtime lapsed BBC Food Board contributer

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 01, 2012 10:48 am

cooksalot wrote:I've bought the Chat on Ouef one from Waitrose before - not bad either. At one point I saw a bottle of South African red called "Goats do Roam in Villages". Plonk with humour! :)

Fairview winery in the Paarl produce a range of "Goats do Roam" wines as their budget or second range - the joke is even better when you know that not only is it a good play on words, Fairview keep a large herd of goats and make excellent goat's cheese, and have done for decades, so it is very much a goat-oriented place

This is their famous goat tower

Postby cooksalot » Tue May 01, 2012 11:18 pm

Wow! Love the goat tower (although I have to say that I am not a goat's cheese lover). The wine is pretty good though.

Postby peasoupdragon » Wed May 02, 2012 11:39 am

cooksalot wrote:I've bought the Chat on Ouef one from Waitrose before - not bad either. At one point I saw a bottle of South African red called "Goats do Roam in Villages". Plonk with humour! :)

Goats do Roam is a South African winery.

The name came from the owners goats escaping and eating the vines - he noticed that they were passing by some vines and honing in on others - eating only the best vines so he got the idea of making a specific batch from the only the vines the Goats had eaten hence Goats do Roam.

Its a lovely wine asweel - one of our favourites :D

Return to Beverages