Register

Learning to love red.

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

Learning to love red.

Postby Lou » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:48 pm

Despite my love of food and wine, a great annoyance of mine is that I do not like red wine.

Other than having a few very silly friends (read pretentious), who roll their eyes at me when I order a white wine with a steak, it also makes it more difficult to share a bottle with my boyfriend and friends who are all much bigger red drinkers.

I want to try to accustom my tastebuds and hopefully learn to appreciate red wine.

I already like very dry whites, which I would have thought would make it easier?

Can anyone reccomend a good red to ease my way in with?

Lou

Re: Learning to love red.

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue May 01, 2012 10:50 am

Hi Lou!
We had a thread on the BBC forum where I was looking for a light red wine to go with fillet steak - Amazing - who I think has joined this forum, recommended a delicious wine called Tarrango - I'm pretty sure it's Australian, light, delicious and nice served either at room temperature of chilled (unusual - but delicious). I would really recommend it as a good intro into red wine - It is by Brown Bros, and I bought it in Waitrose - about £7/bottle from memory - also there are some quite delicious rose wines about now.
HH

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 01, 2012 11:32 am

I think HH may be onto something with red wines you can chill. less of a shock to the system

Apart from the Tarrango she mentions, something made from the Gamay grape - a Beaujolais Villages or a Gamay de Touraine

Perhaps one of the lighter Spanish Garnachas for example
http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?N=8132+4294966749&id=262254350

Or a Chilean Pinot Noir

Postby Frillz » Tue May 01, 2012 12:04 pm

For years I was a red drinker and yet now drink almost exclusively white.
I don't think you should worry too much, people can be so snobby about wine, but I think it's right to drink what you enjoy.

As Stokey Sue says though, a light Beaujolais is a good choice.
Look for something with a low level of tannin.
Longtime lapsed BBC Food Board contributer

Postby Joanbunting » Tue May 01, 2012 9:26 pm

I remember when our daughter enjoyed red wine for the first time. It was Christmas and we served a top Chateauneuf from a great year. (1981) I can still remember the look on her face and the declaration "I like red wine!"

M says the answer is to have a really special wine with food.

I can't "do" red wine on it's own but with the right food I adore it. Tonight we had a lovely local red with lamb casserole. Yummy.

Postby cooksalot » Wed May 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Agree with Joan - I love red wine with food. For me, if I am "out for a drink" it has to be a nice chilled white.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu May 03, 2012 12:11 am

If you can get hold of some Chilean, or South American wines, try (in this l order):
1) Carmenere
2) Merlot
3) Syrah
4) Malbec

I find them all utterly drinkable, and we drink a lot of wine at parties, dinners, etc.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu May 03, 2012 8:50 am

My advice is look at the alcoholic value.

I cannot stand heavy, heady reds. And if we do drink wine, it's 11% - 12% for whites, and 12% - 12.5% for reds.

That might help you enjoy a red glass more.

Postby Lou » Thu May 03, 2012 1:49 pm

These are all fab ideas, thank you!

I htink I shall have a couple of red drinking friends over next week and buy a couple of these suggestions., so if I do not like it, I can at least make sure the rest of the bottle does not go to waste.

I shall do a nice beef dish to try it with, and hopefully I will find my way in.
Failing that, my guests will be well catered for!

Return to Beverages