Register

Beaujolais (and everything else) Nouveau

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

Beaujolais (and everything else) Nouveau

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:30 pm

Well today is the day. Cases of primeur wines all over the place.

I remember in the olden days people used to go mad to get the wretched stuff back to the UK in record time. The wine soc we used to belong to had a special night.

Does the hype still go on - I know the race was banned for safety reasons ?

Have to admit we bought a bottle of Bowjollies and were given a bottle of the local stuff at the cave co-op, but we won't be holding our comined breaths.

I came down to earth when in January I found a whole bin of Beaujolais at about a quarter price in a supermarket. When i asked why wine from such a reputable maker was discounted so much I was told that it was "Past it's sell-by date and I bought it at my own risk" I did and a couple of years later it was even better! :wino :wino :wino

Re: Beaujolais (and everything else) Nouveau

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Since the race stopped, the hype has pretty much stopped here

Most outlets do sell it, but the last few years it has been expensive, not the cheap and cheerful glugger it should be

The trouble is it has convinced everybody that the way to drink Beaujolais is to commit infanticide

The heavier ones - Moulin a Vente, Chenas etc stand as much aging as many other Burgundy wines - I have drunk and enjoyed 13 year old Moulin a Vent

Re: Beaujolais (and everything else) Nouveau

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:12 pm

Absolutely Sue.

We once had a very old Moulin a Vent at a blind tasting and both ascribed it to Burgundy, possibly Côtes de Nuits !

Return to Beverages