Register

After dinner drinks

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

After dinner drinks

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:18 pm

After the disappointment of my failed 50's party yesterday we cheered ourselves up with a very indulgent Sunday lunch.

I don't usually drink coffee after lunch - even less have a degestif but today I did both!! :wino

We had a lovely Bordeaux with slow roasted shoulder of lamb on the bone with roasted root vegetables. After pineapple fritters with vanilla icecream we had coffee and cognac. Why not - and what a treat.

What do you enjoy after a really special meal. especially Christmas.

My other choices would include green Chartreuse or a really chilled Marc de Chateauneuf with just one squarw od darkest darkest chocolate.

Re: After dinner drinks

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Armagnac is my digestif of choice, or Calvados

Don't really do the sweet ones, though sloe gin or hoemamade liqueurs can be nice for a change

My Gascon OH remembered a family wedding that ended at about 4 am with a football supporter style brawl between Armagnac and Cognac supporters, though I doubt they could tell the difference by then! Allegiance to rugby teams may have been a contributing factor I suspect

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:54 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

French rugby players eh? I see both Montpellier and Clemont Auvergne beat Brit teams at the weekend. I wonder what they celebrated/drowned their sorrows with afterwards. :wino :wino

I have to say an old Calvados takes a lot of beating.

Postby jeral » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:56 pm

At a restaurant, a sambuca as I love chewing flambéd coffee beans.

Postby cooksalot » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:48 pm

If I fancy a coffee after dinner it is usually an expresso with sugar. I also like a large brandy or a glass of Cointreau. :wino

Postby calabash » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:19 am

Calvados, Cognac, Grand Marnier, Frangelico, Sambuca, the list goes on :lol:

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:10 pm

A woman after my own heart calabash :wino :wino

M bought me a bottle of green Chartreuse today - but he says it will be locked in the filing cabinet and distributed on high days and holidays only :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Postby calabash » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:55 pm

I have never tasted green Chartreuse - what is the flavour profile? I am going to use Christmas as an excuse to buy every after dinner drink I like :wino I remember my Scots mother being fond of Rusty Nails - Drambuie and whiskey I think?

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi Calabash

Green Chartreuse is amazingly herby - in fact it tastes like the smell of the area around le Grande Chatreuse in the mountains near Grenoble.

The carthusian monks who make it are a silent order, each living in their own cell with a workshop and a garden.

We visited one easter Monday and though you can't get in to the actual monastery you can climb a sttep path to a stunning viewing point overlooking it. There are notices all the way up the path asking for silence. As we climbed we could hear loud laughter and we tutted and said how thoughtless folk can be. We reached the viewing point overlooking a high terrace and realised that the noise was being made by the brothers clearly enjoying their holiday.
A few moments later a bell tolled and there was immediate silence. The hoods went over, the hands were tucked into sleeves and a white robed line made it's way off the terrace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grande_Chartreuse

M's favourite poem of his favourite poet was inspired by the place so we have been several times.

Postby calabash » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:40 pm

Thanks for that Joan! Sounds intriguing...

Return to Beverages