Register

Hot Chocolate

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

Hot Chocolate

Postby elderberry » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Do you make Hot chocolate from bars of chocolate, and if so, which sort? I've heard of people using Green and Blacks, but I'd like a less extravagant alternative. I've tried cheap cooking chocolate, which was OK, and indeed better value than the powdered packet stuff; but what I really want is something better than OK, whilst remaining good value (although I suppose using Green and Blacks is still cheaper than buying a Hot Chocolate at a café). Or maybe you use a concentrate?

Also, is there a way to grind cocoa powder even finer? It's always discernibly powdery to my palette.

Site Admin

Re: Hot Chocolate

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Add a couple of blocks of chocolate and a splurt of cream to the powdered stuff makes it more chocolatey and creamy.

I once bought some special mexican drinking chocolate in a block which you used on its own with hot milk (see below, from mexgrocer.co.uk), it was pretty nasty, very sugary and not a pleasant chocolate flavour.

How is cocoa powder powdery on the palate, are you eating it raw?

Postby kavey » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:11 pm

I have made hot chocolate from bars of chocolate but I do use the best I can get.

When it comes to cooking, sometimes a lower quality bar will do as the taste is mingled with so much else.

But for hot chocolate it's nothing but the chocolate and the milk, so the better the quality and flavour of the chocolate the better the result. It makes an enormous difference, in my opinion.

Postby fizl » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:41 pm

I'm quite happy with a square or two of bourneville and milk, but then its my favorite chocolate

Postby jeral » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:58 pm

@ elderberry: Hmm. Cocoa powder as sold is about as fine as you could get it and either it sinks to the bottom or you put something in that suspends the grains - but little point if you detect a powdery texture regardless methinks, and I understand what you mean.

On "concentrates", have you tried using some from a jar of Nutella? (Assuming no nut allergy.) It'd solve the powdery problem although at up to two tablespoons per cup not exactly cheap. Just heat milk (pref full fat) to hot in a saucepan and stir in. If in microwave, use an oversize jug for a cup of milk, stir Nutella in once milk is hot then reheat for a few seconds more as needed until Nutella dissolves and stirs in (obviously watch anything in the microwave with finger hovering over the Stop button if likely to boil over).

Can add single or double or even squirty whipped cream once off heat and in cup if wished.

Postby jaybird » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:48 pm

I have cocoa occasionally. I always 'cook' it in a saucepan for a few minutes before pouring into a mug, then it tastes smooth. Mix to a cream with a little milk then add to hot milk in saucepan and stir till cooked. My mother used to do it like that. Melting chocolate in hot milk is easier. I like the green & black's Maya Gold which has orange & cinamon in it. If having hot chocolate though I prefer the organic cocoa powder because I find the powdered hot chocolate is too sweet with the added sugar.

Postby GilesMurray » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:46 pm

i love my hot chocolate before bed! ive cut down to 2 a week but my all time favorite is galaxy powder hot chocolate. i buy the one that youre meant to add hot water to, but instead i add milk to make it creamier.
you can buy a galaxy one that you add milk to but i find it too rich and sugary.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:12 pm

I always made cocoa as jaybird suggests, cooking it out

But if you want a good strong 70% or more chocolate Lidl and Aldi are your friends, I really like the Lidl Fairglobe 70%

Return to Beverages