Register

A different wine.

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

A different wine.

Postby Puss-in-boots » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:42 am

I have nearly always drunk sweet wine but have over the last few months gone completely off it. I have found Sauvignon Blanc to be nice but am wondering if anyone can reccomend any others to try.

I have been told that the aussie SB is good but never tried any.

Reccomendations please... :D

TIA Puss.

Re: A different wine.

Postby reborncook » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:43 pm

SB from New Zealand is the best white wine, price doesnt matter too much as it is all good. Tesco have good offers at the moment on Sacred Hill & Brancrofft- both great value, and screwtops for fridge if you just want a glass or two!!!!

Postby Frillz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:46 pm

It's so hard to say really Puss, it's so subjective.

I'd recommend getting yourself to a good independent wine seller, or somewhere like Majestic Wine Warehouse when they have a tasting session.
Even if they don't have a tasting, you can talk to someone face to face and explain more about your likes and dislikes and they'll be knowledgeable and able to point you in the right direction.

New Zealand produces quite a range of Sauvignon Blancs especially from the well known Malborough area.
See this link here http://www.majestic.co.uk/find/category-is-Wine/category-is-New+Zealand/Grape+Variety-is-Sauvignon+Blanc/product-is-37063 where you can see a little video tasting and also read lots of customer reviews.

Also read up a bit on info like this
http://www.waitrosewine.com/91_If+you+like+2e+2e+2e+you+may+also+like+2e+2e+2e/Content.aspx and you'll start to build up some ideas of your own.

Browsing sites like that will start to give you more idea of the kind of wines you might enjoy and tempt you to look at grapes you might not have heard of before. Try starting with Vigonier maybe?
Longtime lapsed BBC Food Board contributer

Postby Puss-in-boots » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks for the replies both. I will definitely try the SB from New Zealand thanks rbcook.

I know what you mean Frillz with it being subjective just didn`t know where to start but thanks for all the info and the links much appreciated.

I will give them a whirl and let know how things (the wine tastings... :o ) progress.

Will probably be popping to Tesco in the next day or two so i will have a browse and see what is there.

Thanks again.

Postby Frillz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:28 pm

No problem Puss. I just find it a bit tricky as I've never drunk sweeter wine and so it's tricky to know if wines I like are going to be too dry for you.

You might also like to spend some time looking on this site if supermarkets are handier for you than wine merchants.
http://www.supermarketwine.com/sainsbur ... uth-africa
I bought two bottles of that yesterday and am looking forward to drinking it over the weekend.

The beauty of that site is that you can also follow links from particular wines and read professional reviews.

Regards
Frillz
Longtime lapsed BBC Food Board contributer

Return to Beverages