Register

Three SMALL glasses of wine per week ??!!

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

Three SMALL glasses of wine per week ??!!

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 31, 2012 2:10 pm

The latest scare story that I for one will be ignoring - next week it will be something else.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18262608

I assume the late Queen Mum would have obeyed immediately :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Three SMALL glasses of wine per week ??!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 31, 2012 2:52 pm

Joanbunting wrote:I assume the late Queen Mum would have obeyed immediately :lol: :lol: :lol:

According to her chef our current Queen has a Dubonnet cocktail as aperitif every evening - looks good on it!

Looking at the report - an analysis of deaths based on a study population of 15 000 surveyed for drinking habits and followed for about 5 years? 5 X 15 000 = 75000 person years, no idea how many deaths though you would expect much less than a thousand, not enough for a death analysis, you'd think

I put more faith in, for example, the (US) Nurses health Study with far more people studied for much longer - they must be close to a million person years of not already past that level, and they aren't suggesting so little
http://www.channing.harvard.edu/nhs/

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 31, 2012 3:09 pm

Hi Sue

Just been listening to another statistician who said that according to his calculations keeping to the suggested level would possibly add 10 minutes a week to your life, big deal.

Postby cooksalot » Thu May 31, 2012 9:59 pm

I saw this too. Even if it is correct I reckon I would rather live a shorter life and enjoy the pleasure of wine while I'm here!

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Just been listening to another statistician who said that according to his calculations keeping to the suggested level would possibly add 10 minutes a week to your life, big deal.

When I did my postgrad, our Statistics Professor told us quite categorically that 63.7% of all statistics were downright lies :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I prefer the Winston Churchill approach.
three small glasses a week, my foot!!

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Lies, damned lies and statisics eh? :D :D :D

Give me a few years less - or should I say a few fewer years?

Postby jeral » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:14 pm

They (not sure who "they" are) say that 48hrs should elapse between any "drink days", as that's how long it takes alcohol to fully work through/out, and so that one's liver isn't being permanently lambasted. A friend of mine quips that the definition of sobriety is the nasty bits inbetween.

I wonder why the study under discussion chose wine rather than strong spirit, which I imagine is much more harmful. Strange that.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:24 pm

jeral wrote:I wonder why the study under discussion chose wine rather than strong spirit, which I imagine is much more harmful. Strange that.

They didn't really "choose wine"

They expressed their results in alcohol units

It shoudln't make any difference if the alcohol is gin or claret, it's the amount that'e the issue

3 small glasses of wine would be 3 pub singles of spirit - doesn't have the same ring for a headline!

Postby jeral » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:32 pm

Ahh, thanks, as the other thing bothering me was that red wine has helpful (if taken in moderation) antioxidants apparently but if they studied "any" alcohol it solves that question too :) Yey, two birds with one stone.

Postby Amazing » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:19 am

We drink vodka and diet coke and red, not in the same glass of course.

Last week my OH had a medical by works Dr. He asked him how much alcohol he drank, conversation went thus.

Dr, How much alcohol do you have in a week?
OH, What is the average?
Dr, About 10 units.
OH, Well suppose we should say 12.
Dr and OH at the same time, and the rest!!! ;) ;)

Both of Italian extract, spoke more about Italy than medical stuff.

Back to matters at hand. A few years ago I bought some lovely glasses from John Lewis but we had to stop using them, they were enormous and at the time we bought 3 litre boxes of wine and were going through 3 a week.

Return to Beverages