Register

Vats of cola

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

Vats of cola

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:58 am

Morning all

One of the less agreeable things about the US is the sight of most of the population downing bathtub sized fizzy drinks. Even my usually healthy eating daughter seems to have succumbed - even though they are always diet versions it can't be good for her. Thank goodness the children haven't got the habit so far.

I noticed this piece this morning and have to say I was pleased that someone at least is concerned enough - though what effect it will have I wonder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18271120

Re: Vats of cola

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:40 am

i think they'll have trouble banning them

Very entrenched in the way the US shops/eats - I remember 30 years ago being astonishehd to see people taking these huge tubs on the rides at Disneyland and Warner studios

As it was hot I did try diet ones - but the drink was flat & unpleasant

Going off at a slight tangent - it is actually getting very difficult to buy diet versions of soft drinks here, other than cola & slimline tonic, they seem to have vanished from the market, at least locally

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Interesting the different approach; over here they'd just have slapped more tax on it.

As the ban is very limited and could still buy two small ones, it's hard to see how it would make a difference. However, it is possible, perhaps, that massive cups might be considered "not the done thing now", much like it's quite unusual here to see women drinking from pint glasses in a pub. It could also help parents to limit their children to one smaller cup in fast food places since as no big cups will be seen, the children can't say "I want a big one! He/she's having one!"

With cola, I'd worry more about the amount of caffeine, which is addictive. I'm convinced that caffeine makes you think you have energy which you don't, so with the inevitably ensuing backlash of exhaustion if not eating/sleeping properly.

I wonder if there's a gap in the market for weighted body jackets? I.e. "Put this 3-stone garment on so you can feel how much more difficult it is to do anything." I can't think of a way of showing people how much better they'd feel if lighter, unless someone can invent hovercraft shoes...

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:09 pm

Hi jeral

"With cola, I'd worry more about the amount of caffeine, which is addictive. I'm convinced that caffeine makes you think you have energy which you don't, so with the inevitably ensuing backlash of exhaustion if not eating/sleeping properly."

Absolutely right as far as I am concerned. DD does not drink tea or coffee and I think the cola is now becoming the substitute. I also thought that as most American coffee is so awful that is where they get the caffeine kick.
S-I-L lives on caffeine because of his job and because he is hyper-active anyway. I couldn't believe how much he consumes - it scares me.

Postby Global_Worming » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:17 pm

jeral wrote:Interesting the different approach; over here they'd just have slapped more tax on it.
Nah Jeral over here they just accept sponsorship money from the main culprits and let them do what they want. :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:36 pm

Yeah. If a ban does come in and is extended to convenience stores, I can see them selling re-usable plastic buckets and a "fill your own" dispenser tap, thus sold as a quantity of product, so not as a single drink. I'd love to be on the payroll of the legislature writers who'd be paid to try to close the myriad loopholes and workarounds, although would probably earn more from being a consultant on same to the outlets... *Adds to "Get rich quick plan" list*

Return to Beverages