Register

Breathalisers in France

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

Breathalisers in France

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:05 pm

I expect most of you who will be travelling to or through France will know that as from July 1st amongst all the other things you will have to have in your car you will need 2 breathalisers. :roll: :roll:

Apparently they are rather more expensive in the UK - I don't know. We bought ours in the supermarket but had to go to the information desk. They cost €3.00 for two. BUT there are several words for aforementioned gizmos including breathalizer (say it with a French accent ;) ) alcooltest or in the case of ours éthylotest :? :?

Apparently the law will not be fully enforced until Novenber 1st but if you happen to be stopped it is so much easier to have what is required.

Hope this helps. There will soon be no room for luggage or passengers.

Re: Breathalisers in France

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks Joan

I'll be hitting France in early October, so I'll add them to my kit

I'll add them to my next Amazon order, they are just as cheap here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alcosense-ALCNFTWIN-Requirement-Approved-Breathalyser/dp/B007K5XZXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340885729&sr=8-1

Postby Tatihou » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:26 pm

The pesky things have a use-by date on them! However, word of caution to those sourcing the tests on line - allegedly, the gendarmes / police will not consider the éthylotests suitable unless they are marked NF - norme française. CE - Conformité Européenne - is not enough. :roll:

The reusable tests are also apparently considered non-conformist because they need calibrating and the general public is not up to calibrating them. Also, you need to have two of the tests because you must always have an unused test in your car. If you've fallen out of the bar, used your test then you no longer have an unused test available in the car and that is contrary to the law.

For a pack of two, the cost is about 5€ on the ferries and about 2-3€ in the shops. But check expiry dates. In any event, it is unlikely that fines will be enforced before 01 November and if a non-French resident is carrying non-NF éthylotests, I can't believe that it will be a problem. Unless you're seriously over the limit!

ETA: and I see from your link, SSue, that yours are NF. :thumbsup

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi everyone - bit of a scandal broken here in the last 24 hours or so.

The law re breathalisers was passed by the Interior Minister in Sarkozy's government. They were under pressure from a road safety group, I-Test, whose president is a senior exec with - you've guessed it - the no1 manufacturer of breath tests, Contrales.

Return to Beverages