Register

The shape of the glass you use

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

The shape of the glass you use

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:17 pm

I have just been looking at this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19436926

It made me think of my grandad who, true Geordie that he was, considered drinking from a beer mug ie curved and with handle, as opposed to a straight sided glass was an efete southern habit.

I know I prefer my G&T in a tall, thin straight sided glass but wether or not it makes me drink it more slowly is another matter ;) ;)

Re: The shape of the glass you use

Postby Wokman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi Joan,

between 7 and 11 minutes to finish half a pint of beer sounds like a slow night at the club to me, as they say on the advert "we would be skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now" :lol:

Postby kavey » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:17 am

I went to a tasting session run by glass manufacturers and we had their four glasses in front of us (for different types of beer) plus one standard pub pint glass. We tasted four different beers in the various glasses and the difference was SHOCKING!
Not just the amount and size of bubbles, but the aroma, the size of the head and how long it remained, the texture as the beer hit the palate, the taste.
I was really rather cynical before but this was a lot more than the power of suggestion!
Given how much a glass can affect the experience, it's no surprise to me that it could therefore impact on the speed one might drink it...

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:42 am

Hi Kavey

It is amazing isn't it? I know the real difference having the correct wine glass makes - especially if you have a particularly good wine to taste.

We have several of these:

http://www.google.fr/search?q=standard+ ... 60&bih=639.

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi. I followed the link but it shows a whole pageful of glasses. Were you identifying some shapes in particular or a range of different shapes for different things maybe?

I know a tiny bit about wine bouquet (more with cheap wines is what one hopes not to smell). Which reminds me that you had a protege? with an exceptional palate. Any news from her? Hope she's doing well.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:29 am

Morning all

Thought you might be amused by this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62387678@N ... hotostream

M was just as pleased to have what he calls a "proper" pint glass as he was with the contnets! Well it is 2½ years since last time!!

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:44 pm

How interesting. I thought a "straight pint glass" was a matter of choice, although a "proper" pint glass was one with the heavy glass tankard shape with handle, viz: http://www.deluxehire.co.uk/WebRoot/BT2 ... ankard.jpg

'Course, if M's happy, I shouldn't be upsetting the applecart :mrgreen:

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:36 pm

jeral wrote:How interesting. I thought a "straight pint glass" was a matter of choice, although a "proper" pint glass was one with the heavy glass tankard shape with handle, viz: http://www.deluxehire.co.uk/WebRoot/BT2 ... ankard.jpg

'Course, if M's happy, I shouldn't be upsetting the applecart :mrgreen:

What you link to jeral is known in beer swilling circles as a "jug"

It is favoured by some landlords as it is less likely to break in the washer but in al my time working pubs and bars, I found that serious beer drinkers nearly always asked for a "straight glass" if one was available - the one who didn't had mild Parkinson's and couldn't cope without a handle

The trouble with jugs is not the 'andle but the unpleasant thickness of the glass - though pre-war drinkers (e.g. George Orwell in a famous essay - "The Moon Under Water") prefered china beer mugs

My pet hate is pubs who when asked for a half pint of beer for a female customer insist on serving it in a stemmed glass - no draught beer should ever be served in a stemmed galss (in England at least - customs vary). if no straight half pints, I'll settle for a Pilsner glass (which is wha my grandpa favoured in his pub - not tha the ever stocked Pilsner, that I recall!)

M. looks like a satisfied customer

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:55 pm

I think things changed to straight glass also when glass-washers came about - you know the sort where there are several rubber heads (loo brush size) swirling around that one dunks the glasses onto to clean the inside and outside. Much better than the proverbial lipstick on the glass from a previous user. Also, with busy pubs which overflow outside, the cost of replacing lost jugs would be astronomical.

I prefer a lady's stemmed glass in principle (whether right or not), but doesn't half drop one's street cred if trying to be invisibly one of the lads who doesn't require special treatment - go back a dozen squares. I do draw the line at drinking directly from a bottle even though that came about of necessity when more customers than glasses and clear-up/re-use speed. On the other hand, at least bottled beer/lager isn't the sort of tap water that sometimes is drawn from barrels.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:25 pm

Elfin safety have now banned the loo brush style washers (they spread viruses)

Pubs use "proper" dishwashers now! Hebce the reversion to jugs

The reason I dilike stemmed beer glasses is not the ladylike aspect - it is that I always find a half pint on a stem is top heavy, and I risk tippingit down my ample cleavage :oops:

I concluded some time ago that a lady knows when she is middle aged - it is when bar persons always offer a glass with a bottle! Suits me - I gave up drinking from bottles when I gave up wearing rompers

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Shows how long it is since I worked in a pub re the loo brush glass washers. My getting old turning point was when everyone suddenly called me "Madam", even at the ripe old age of 30. Not sure what an appropriate greeting is TBH for a woman of indeterminate age...

Anyway, back on beer, I bought a "good" bottle (the real ale sort) to use for beer batter and although I'm not a natural beer drinker, I did a taste check, thought it was good enough to drink so drank it, doh. It was rather expensive given fizzy water and yeast would do for the batter. *Must exercise more restraint with the next bottle*

Postby Lou » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Jeral.
Signs of maturity are these I feel:

Being called "madam"
Being refered to as "the lady" by strangers (ie. a parent to child "mind out the lady's way")
And when your bank replaces your cash card and decides to chnage your name from Miss to Ms - Not that I am bitter, but it is good to know RBS feel I am left on the shelf!

My pet hate in bars is when they run out of wine glasses asnd give you tall mixer glasses instead!

Postby Wokman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:40 pm

Stella Artois are currently giving away a free chalice with every box of 10 cans. I tried the chalice with the Stella and it does make a difference to the taste as you can taste the hops more than just drinking it straight from the can.
I say chalice because they say it is not a glass, it is a chalice made of glass :roll:

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Over the years m has collected quite a lot of "beer specific" glasses like the one you mentioned Wokman.

He says they really do make a difference to the taste so they continue to clutter my cupboards.

Postby Wokman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Joanbunting wrote:Over the years m has collected quite a lot of "beer specific" glasses like the one you mentioned Wokman.

He says they really do make a difference to the taste so they continue to clutter my cupboards.

Don't mention it to Puss in boots, I've only just started my collection :twisted: :lol:

Postby Puss-in-boots » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:41 pm

Ark at 'im with his rolling eyes smiley... :shock: He makes me laugh cos when i say "I have to sort these glasses out as i`m running out of room", he says, " its not a glass its a Chalice made of glass" and :shock: I think to myself, they will be broken Chalices' made of glass in a minuite... :lol:

The tasting glass on your link Joan is the glass I drink out of when I have wine :o , says a lot doesn`t it! :lol:

The glass in Jerals link is the one my dad used to drink out of.

Return to Beverages