Register

suppers for snowie weather

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

suppers for snowie weather

Postby DEB » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:23 pm

The weather here is very cool and snowie what would you cook for supper on such a day, pref using root veg and store cupboard indgetiants.

Re: suppers for snowie weather

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Well - it's bitterly cold & very snowy here on the south coast & I'm making a jambalaya - a great way to use up what's in your fridge!

Postby Suelle » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Vegetable chili or curry, adding red split lentils for protein, and eat with rice. Or a vegetable tagine containing chickpeas, with couscous.

Having said that, we're having chicken soup tonight from the leftover meat off the carcass. :)
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby jeral » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:03 pm

A big batch of thick soup, saved as portions as that way each can be flavoured differently when due to eat, e.g. curry, coconut (bit off a block), pepper flakes. The usual suspects work for supper, e.g. cream of mushroom, potato & broccoli, grated carrot and red lentils.

For days when I'm hungrier, some egg noodles sprinkled with a spot of sesame oil, or a bowl of egg-fried or pilau rice (from fridge or freezer). Or porridge, or grilled mashed potato (no fat).

Good ol' cocoa and digestives or ginger biscuits. Oh, and bedsocks for the tootsies :D

Snowing here too - not a lot but enough is settling to be icy tomorrow. I keep getting the urge to go build a quick snowman...

Postby Mrs Vee » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:05 pm

Root veg (carrot, celeriac, parsnip and maybe a leek or two) and red lentil stew with herby dumplings. A proper rib-sticking winter warmer! :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Oh dear, it's just dawned on me that you don't mean supper as in a snack before bedtime, Doh!

If evening meal, what about pre-roasted traybake root veg from fridge (or defrost overnight in fridge if frozen), rattle up some Yorkshire Pud batter and bake either as a big "toad" or as four big cups in a tray (I can't make big ones), plus some premade onion gravy - or rattle some up whilst pud is cooking.

Most "semi-white" root veg is suitable for Mexican burgers with some red kidney beans, to eat with spicy paprika'd spud or sweet potato wedges and bog standard frozen garden or mushy peas.

Mushroom bourguigon? Doesn't need cooking long as mushrooms aren't exactly tough meat.

Any root veg casserole - read pre-cook as a casserole or just preboil and add gravy of choice (either cube or make own which I do). Assemble (defrosted or microwave first from frozen), then add a piece of puff pastry on top and reheat in hot oven till pastry cooked (about 35 mins and ensuring filling is piping hot).

Pasta or lasagne bakes of course, which if pre-made take about 35-45 mins to reheat in oven or minutes in microwave.

Stir fries (carrot batons, cabbage, halved button mushroom, cashew nuts) with fresh beansprouts if poss and pre-cooked rice or fresh (dried) egg noodles.

Ciabatta picnic loaves work: Halve a decent thickness one, scoop out some middle (save for garlic croutons). Paint inside with EVOO, grill lightly. Meanwhile, sweat some onion, mushrooms, cherry toms, stoned black olives, herbs of choice. Turn off heat. Add a tiny spot of double cream to coat when stirred, then spoon into the crisp insides of the ciabatta. In a different pan, you should be frying cubes of scooped out ciabatta in olive oil with a crushed clove of garlic (or just wipe out pan with a halved clove). Doesn't require planning, but a spot of multi-tasking going on here...

Postby hungryhousewife » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:49 pm

What about a chickpea, parsnip, butternut squash, tomato version of a shepherd's pie?

Or, as I made today for lunch, a cheese and onion pie! (I used Simon Hopkinson's recipe which is fab!)

HH

Postby Meena » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:11 pm

2 vegie dishes that even my Husband will eat are veg crumble- made using root veg which have been par boiled, the make a roux using butter and the water used to boil the veg. Add creme fraiche and mix with the veg. Make a savoury crumble topping. If you would like the proper recipe let me know and i can post it up.

He also likes veg shepherds pie-diced carrots, peppers, squash (whatever veg you want really), tinned tomatoes, red lentils, maybe some baked beans. Pile into a dish with mash on top!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Well I'm not suffering the sub-zero temperatures that you are, but this time of the year is definitely cooler than normal. Las night I made a masoor and toor dal ( red lentil and Toor peas) "soup" - with carrots,garam masala, onions, garlic, ginger and sweet potato. Two slices of heavily buttered bread accompanied the most satisfying dinner for ages!

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:41 pm

A few days ago I made Madhur Jaffrey's ginger and spinach soup perfumed with cloves. It was stunning. Warm and comforting. Served with flat-bread it would make a lovely winter supper.

I also love curried parsnip soup a la Jane Grigson:

http://www.larecettedujour.org/2011/10/ ... p-soup.php

Having sourced some giant cous cous I have this lined up for later in the week:

http://www.womanandhome.com/recipes/533 ... kpea-pilaf
Last edited by Joanbunting on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:08 pm

Ratatouille is versatile. Veg chunks cut big enough to be cooked enough but still with bite(*), either Med-style with passata & garlic or more Indian style spices. With any sort of rice, spud, naan bread, as preferred.
(*) Pre-boil, blanch or saute each veg separately as necessary or not so the whole pot comes together at the same time.

Leftovers: Open, pre-blind-baked puff pastry tart; shortcrust pasties (+ cheese if wished); rough chopped as the filling for samosas; with cooked pasta as a reheatable lunch pot.

The trick is to choose veg which suit one another and of course the spices proposed.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi Jeral

Of course ratatouille is nice, but I just can't cook/eat it at this time of year because it screams summer.

I half thought of making a mousaka with some left-over lamb tonight but the aubergines are so pathetic I have gone for shepherds pie instead

Postby jeral » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Absolutely, that ratatouille screams summer. I made some this week and was immediately transported to sunny beaches :) It does of course depend on what veg is good. Imported I guess toms and sugar snaps (Kenya?), tin of sweetcorn, banana shallots, button or chestnut mushrooms. herbs/spices to suit, cheese optional.

It does also fulfil the comfort factor of a one-pot meal which seems the norm for winter - i.e. we all want to dig into a big pot of stew - or finish it in a half-pint bistro-style soup pot, like: http://www.learninghowtocook.com/site/i ... bonita.jpg

Return to Veggie Chat