Register

Decadent Treats

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Decadent Treats

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:08 pm

This Dan Lepard recipe in today's Guardian looks a bit naughty, am tempted to try it (or my version which would be even naughtier... although I haven't made choux for many years 'cause I hate the mixing bit).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... try-recipe

Anyone got any other suggestions for really decadent treats?

Re: Decadent Treats

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Just gave one on the creme pat link!!

Postby Dena » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:43 pm

One of the most decadent puds I make is one very similar to this http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/575902. It is by Peter Gordon too but instead of the grapes he uses prunes, again cooked with PX sherry but no olive oil.

It is absolutely delicious and every one I have made it for has raved about it and I am often asked me to make it again (and again, and again). It really is richly decadent and I serve it in Martini glasses (as he states in my book and the illustration shows). Place about 3/4 raspberries at the bottom of the glass then the vanilla cream, then the gorgeous rich prune mix topped with a nice large delice quenelle and it is just about the right amount.

Postby Alison Wright » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:36 am

If you want to wow your guests this frozen lemon soufflé in a chocolate shell does it in spades.
http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/reci ... late-shell

The recipe first appeared in one of those monthly collectibles in the early/mid 70's when I first made it to show off at a dinner party :oops: Even though at the time I hadn't even tasted dark chocolate or used gelatine before, & could barely rub together a decent batch of short-crust pastry - I pulled it off successfully.

The knack in making the shell is not to pour the molten chocolate into the loose-based tin while it's still hot or it'll run out. Wait 'til it cools slightly, then it's easier to coat the base, then stroke the chocolate upwards to create the jagged shell.

It is an impressive dessert - but not with those lemon slices on top :thumbsdown Dark chocolate curls look nicer - and/or half chocolate dipped, candied/crystalized lemon peels served on the side.

Postby Dena » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:33 pm

Oh Alison, so glad you posted that, I have a very similar recipe which I made once ages ago and it was brilliant. I had forgotten it and can't think which book it was in, I'll have to go "abrowsing" today :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:58 pm

This idea comes from Emeril Lagasse, the renowned Louisiana Chef:
"Million Dollar Shrimp"
(Allow about 4 large shrimp (or prawns) per person)

Fry some finely diced shallots in butter and add a glass of champagne.
Add the shrimp (prawns) and cook until just ready.
Now add some julienned strips of smoked salmon and a tbsp of chopped parsley
Make a (very quick) sauce with melted butter and salmon roe.
Serve the cooked shrimp (prawns) on a bed of braised spinach with the sauce poured over the top.

I did make this ONCE, but to be fair we'd been given a fresh lobster and the champagne was Cava. Still good though!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox