Register

Shin of Veal

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Shin of Veal

Postby ordinarygull » Thu May 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi

I've just ordered some shin of veal to be delivered. I've never really cooked veal before (escalope and mince, and a roasting joint is all I've ever used) as it's not easy to get round here.

I presume Osso Bucco is the thing to cook as this is bone in, but wonder what else I could do with it.

I've not googled or looked at any books yet, as interested to see what people come up with

thanks

og

Re: Shin of Veal

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 17, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi OG

I have a very nice French recipe for stewed veal shin with fresh peas. If you are interested I'll dig it out and give you a translation. It seems a particularly nice dish at this time of year - though I guess supplies of fresh peas are more readily available here so I can't see what would be wrong with frozen peas.

Postby ordinarygull » Thu May 17, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks Joan

That sounds lovely - I'm fine without a translation, although other people may be interested in it and need one

og

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 17, 2012 2:42 pm

OK here goes:

(serves 6 BTW)

6 pieces veal shin about 180 g each - so could be one between two if they are large
4 white onions
bouquet garni and a couple of cloves of garlic
25cl sweet white wine
20g butter and 1 tbsp oil ( corn or sunflower)
2 tbsp creme fraiche
2 kg fresh peas
2 small courgettes
bunch fresh baby carrots

1) Brown the veal on both sides in the oil and butter. Set aside and pour off any excess oil. Add the chopped onions and soften. Return the veal to the pan. Add 20cl water, the crushed garlic and bouquet.

2) Cover and simmer until the veal is tender.

3) Meanwhile shell the peas and cut the carrots and courgettes into rounds. Soften the carrots in a little butter then add a little water season and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the peas and cook for 10 minutes adding the courgettes after 5 minutes.

4) Keep the veal warm while you add the sweet wine to the pot and reduce it for 10 minutes. Add the cream and reduce for another couple of minutes. Add the vegetables and the veal to the sauce and warm through.
Finish with some very cold butter in small pieces to give the sauce a glossy finish.

Postby Dena » Thu May 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Ho og,

Snap, I bought some Osso Buco from Ocado this week. I will be using the classic Milanese recipe with lots and lots of lovely gremolata. Just love that stuff and think it goes so well with the veal.

If your veal has the marrow in and you don't want it to disappear into the sauce (I did this once :o ) leave it in one layer so the marrow doesn't fall out.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 17, 2012 3:40 pm

I have found that most recipes for veal shin work well with what are called in France tendrons.

See diagram here:http://occasional.lazyeight.net/2006/10/french-cuts-of-veal.html.

Here they are cheaper than shin and are very tasty if cooked correctly.

Postby ordinarygull » Thu May 17, 2012 3:53 pm

This is the link the the veal I've bought - I was quite excited to find a local source - our branch of Waitrose sometimes has mince (which I buy when it's reduced) or very expensive escallopes.
I've used this company before - I had a capon from them, and their pork is fantastic, so I'm hopeful about the veal too!

http://www.farmerschoice.co.uk/meat/buyroseveal

Postby ordinarygull » Thu May 17, 2012 4:01 pm

hahaha, just spotted the recipe under the product on the link I just posted although tbh, don't really like the look of it.....

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox