Register

Gluten free bread and Instagram

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Gluten free bread and Instagram

Postby Chefphiljoy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:55 pm

Hello everyone
Has anyone had any luck in any recipes for gluten free bread loaves , thanks

And if anyone has Instagram, here is the one I post all my food on x

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVcYNHnjAFA/

Re: Gluten free bread and Instagram

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:18 am

Looks like you have had a lot of success, Chefphiljoy.

Well done.
Someone asked me to make them some cakes, but they we're actually gluten intolerant, so I didn't get involved in the process.

Postby Petronius » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:13 pm

I've used rice flour to make a loaf for a friend - it was OK but I only did the one.

Postby Petronius » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:09 pm

Asked a coeliac friend, he " ... use(s) the recipe on the Dove bread flour packet and have used gram flour instead of eggs. I like it and its like a thick batter rather than dough when mixed."

Postby Binky » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:39 pm

This might sound silly, but if you are using gram flour, won't the end result be like a naan bread, or a big chappatti?

Postby Petronius » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:39 am

Binky, no idea I was just trying to help a poster. Next time we have a coffee morning I'll ask him.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:25 am

Binky wrote:This might sound silly, but if you are using gram flour, won't the end result be like a naan bread, or a big chappatti?

Indian bread is usually made with atta, wheat flour
Gram (chickpea) flour is used to make pakoras (fritters) and other things but not bread

I saw the ultimate stupidity yesterday while shopping for bake ware, a 1 lb loaf tin specially for gluten free bread. I put it on the shopping list next to snake oil and unicorn hair

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:38 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I saw the ultimate stupidity yesterday ... a 1 lb loaf tin specially for gluten free bread.

Who would have thunk it? A special tin for gluten free baking. I wonder if it is halal too. Had a Google to see what it was all about:

"The set includes a standard 1 lb. loaf pan with an insert to provide additional height; allowing bread to rise and bake into a nice full crown" ("Crown rise" happens to be just down the road from me in Watford - see below...)

Just a thought, wouldn't the double wall at the point where the two pieces intersect create a cold zone which would have the opposite effect? Why not just use a bigger tin?

https://emporiumcookshop.co.uk/chicago- ... gI9IvD_BwE

Postby Petronius » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Or use a couple of parchment sheet bits, like this

Parchment.jpg
Parchment.jpg (214.57 KiB) Viewed 5012 times

to produce a white loaf (not gluten free I admit) like so,

white loaf.jpg
white loaf.jpg (226.49 KiB) Viewed 5012 times

Postby Petronius » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:34 am

That tin got me thinking. Does gluten free bread rise more than 'normal' bread? No idea, though can't see why the height of a tin makes any difference to getting a crown. I thought a crown just happened with bread made in the traditional way.

Yesterday with Devon daughter and SiL, we had lunch at the west end of Seaton (Devon) promenade, where all the cakes were gluten free. Didn't realise that until we got home, shame because the bread they used for sandwiches was delicious - we'll have to go back to find out if that was gluten free as well. Not a chore! :thumbsup

Postby DEB » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:31 am

My understanding is that until fully cooked that gluten free bread does not have the structure to hold its own shape, and so will flow over the tin without being contained.

Postby Petronius » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:06 am

That makes sense to me DEB, thank you. However, it just shows what a genius of a baker I am, as I could get that overflow with bread flour, a slice of which looked more mushroom shaped than anything. Hence the need for side supports.

Postby Mamta1 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:10 pm

I bought a packet of gluten free bread flour yesterday. Somone has given/sent me a recipe for it, but it has a lot of seeds etc. Anyone has a tried and tested simple recipe please\/

Postby DEB » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:11 pm

I have never made gluten free bread but found that Dove flour have a number recipes, here is the link
https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/

Hope this helps

Postby Mamta1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks Deb, I did look at those. I will give it a try soon, not decided which recipe yet and come back with the result. It might be worth cutting down some wheat from my diet.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:01 pm

I tried the Dove gluten-free bread flour, and this is what I ended up with (only half measures, so hence it is half height).

The process does not in any way mimic normal breadmaking, it is a gooey whisked batter mix that is poured into the bread tin. The replacement for gluten is xanthan gum, and the batter is really what I would describe as gummy.

The end product does have some of the mouthfeel of bread, as it is chewed, it becomes more like the inside of a crumpet. The crust has some crunchiness to it, but again it's not really a proper breadike crunch, and the taste is closeish but not really the same.

I guess if you have an intolerence, it is acceptable and you'd get used to it, but for those who've become gluten-free as a fad I can't see the point.

EDIT: By the way, I used the chickpea flour, not egg whites.

Postby jeral » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:11 pm

Sakkarin, re your bread, is it nice to eat as is, as most bought g-f bread says itself that it's better toasted. (Not that bread speaks, lol.) If yours is good for sandwiches, I'd reckon it was a definite success 8-)

Half-height is probably a good thing as a big problem with g-f is getting rise.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Probably is ok with sandwiches. I'll try later and add in an "edit". I was surprised by how much it rose, at least doubled, however it hit the clingfilm I'd put over the loaf tin, and the dough stuck to the clingfilm, which ruined the look of the top of the loaf.

EDIT 1: The recipe describes the process as "whisking", although I didn't beat it particularly vigorously, just enough to get the lumps our, rather than aerate it. I suspect with an electric whisk, the whisking adds even more body to the loaf.

Postby Petronius » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Thanks Sakkarin, now I can understand why my friend uses gram flour. Not sure if we've been helpful to Chefphiljoy.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:59 pm

I had a go earlier at making a mini-sarnie with my gluten-free half-height loaf, and I have to admit it was not a bad substitute; with fillings (ham and tomato), and cold bread (still warm yesterday when I tried it0. I'll have to make a "full recipe" version to confirm that, but first impression is that it does make a fair go at pretending it is real bread.

The Dove flour is £1.70 for a kilo, so the cost per loaf is about 95p. Recipe as on the pack, using the gram flour not egg

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox