Register

Gyoza/Wonton wrappers

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Gyoza/Wonton wrappers

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi all,

Has anybody ever made their own? If so, are they easy enough to make?

I am doing a Japanese themed dinner party on Sunday night as its bank holiday, and am going all out. Miso soup, gyoza, teriyaki, sushi and katsu curry :yum

Re: Gyoza/Wonton wrappers

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:46 pm

I have always bought my wonton wrappers from a Chinese supermarket. Here I have to go into Avignon Les Halles to the oriental grocery stall. I believe I do have a recipe somewhere but don't know if we are talking of the same thing. Japanese food just does not float my boat.

Hope you enjoy yours though.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:53 pm

Joanbunting wrote:I have always bought my wonton wrappers from a Chinese supermarket. Here I have to go into Avignon Les Halles to the oriental grocery stall. I believe I do have a recipe somewhere but don't know if we are talking of the same thing. Japanese food just does not float my boat.

Hope you enjoy yours though.

I may take your advice on that Joan. Apparently they are the same wrappers so I will just buy some Wonton sheet and cut them with a pastry cutter. I never used to enjoy Japanese food until recent times. Now I am a complete convert and I am hoping to go back to Japan next year to really get stuck into it. Mind, I do love any thing pickled and the Japanese and Korean's love a pickle. I have some Kimchi in the back of the fridge from January, should be almost done now!

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:14 pm

I love pickled/fermented things too!! Choucroute is a favourite Saturday supper. I also make a lot of my own including cherries, beans and cabbage.

I am just not happy with raw things other than oysters. Not keen on cold rice other than riz au lait, don't even like rice salads. Thank goodness we are all different eh?

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:54 pm

What...?!?! I can't see the point - even Asians don't make their own - too much of a faff - far better to spend your time perfecting your 'pleating' skills........ :D

You can make Yuba skins easily enough which is formed from heating soya milk - but again, why bother when you can buy it - it makes extremely good stuffed fried/steamed rolls - but make sure to buy the frozen sheets, not the dried.

Hope you've got the sake in........!!

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:47 pm

Luscious - I haven't got any Sake :shock: Looks like a trip to my local wine shop tomorrow! I know its not Japanese, but I will be doing some nice Vietnamese summer rolls. So I think a load of Yuba skins as well might push them over the edge :lol:

Postby jeral » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:47 pm

Do please let us know how it goes - you never seem to do anything by half in the banquet sense.

Might I ask what filling goes into your Vietnamese spring rolls as a V'se street food vendor sells very good veggie ones but they're very bland even to my mild tastebuds so I'm wondering how you jazz yours up? Ta.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:43 am

When my boss brought back a bottle of sake from Japan, I used it in cooking this and that. Like you would mirin.
He was furious .... seemingly it was "the good stuff", and should have been warmed up nicely before knocking it back. ie drunk and enjoyed - if you like that sort of thing.

Not made the wontons, but appears easy enough: http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/wonton-wrappers/
You could probably use a pasta maker to get the thickness/ thinness right.

Although it looks like you are shying off the home made approach. Fair enough.

What's gyoza please anyone? (I'd rather ask the experts here than google, it's why we are here).

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:00 am

Jeral - Mine will be veggie as I have a veggie guest tomorrow.

I fill them with bean sprouts, spring onion, fine rice noodles. Then the keys is LOADS of fresh herbs. I normally use; mint, coriander, thai basil and chives. Then make a really punchy dipping sauce made with; garlic, ginger, chilli, honey, sesame oil and fish sauce.

Gill - Gyoza are very similar to Wontons. They are parcels filled with your choice of stuff, they are a crescent shape and pleated along the top (think small Cornish pasty kinda shape).Then you fry them on the flat side until browned, add a drop of water, and pop a lid on the steam them through. They are served with a rice wine vinegar and soy dipping sauce flavoured (for me) with chilli flakes, crush garlic and some sesame oil.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:08 am

Very nice indeed, Foodie.
I think I've seen them prepared before on the telly then, now you mention their being fried. Maybe the hairy bikers in Asia?

Enjoy your evening. Nice dipping sauces too.
You don't do anything half hearted.

I've not made wonton or any such thing. But have made malsouka/ brik wraps from scratch before. And dosa too.
Worth the effort, which I shall do again one fine day, as I'd like to perfect the method.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:38 am

Gyoza are similar in method to Chinese pot stickers, so you might have seen either on HB
Wagamama usedto do decent Gyoza

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:17 am

Jeral - finely shredded ginger &/or mild chilli in with the veg give spring rolls an extra kick - plus all of the herbs - I like prawns in mine too which I cook quickly in garlic/ lemon butter or even sriracha sauce depending on the mood - summer on a plate!

I still have very vivid memories of my first sake session - not Japan - lunchtime in Brighton............. :mrgreen:

I remember the lovely brik you made Gill in the brilliant 'Cooking Under Wraps' thread we did - & how amazed I was at how much patience you had making them!

Postby jeral » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:52 am

Thanks for the info on spring rolls. I'll go with WhitefieldFoodie's version of having the kick in the dip I think (safer for me) and leave the rolls simple and fresh tasting :)

I can buy brik wraps locally. I wouldn't have the patience to make wonton wrappers and would probably buy some in reserve anyway in case mine turned out rubbish :lol:

As a complaint is of not being able to roll wraps out thinly enough, one video I saw showed each wrapper being rolled out separately. That looked very much easier and quicker than struggling to roll/stretch out a whole sheet at once.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:08 pm

The "Cooking Under Wraps" Beeb thread...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbfood/F267047 ... 8&show=100

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:26 pm

A HUGE Kissssssssssssssss from me for posting that link - just reading the first couple of pages was wonderful - saving the rest for later.

Such a mine of information & community spirit.

It really was when the beeb board was at its best.........................

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:12 pm

It was.
I forgot that also encompassed the tamales too. Lots of cracking ideas to play with.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Mon May 02, 2016 1:36 am

Reet good feast tonight, with lots of good wine and a nice old fashioned or 3 :gonzo

IMG-20160501-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20160501-WA0003.jpg (138.01 KiB) Viewed 4667 times

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Mon May 02, 2016 1:38 am

IMG-20160501-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20160501-WA0004.jpg (142.35 KiB) Viewed 4668 times

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Mon May 02, 2016 1:40 am

IMG-20160501-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20160501-WA0005.jpg (156.2 KiB) Viewed 4668 times

One let down was my inability to find wonton wrappers in Sainburys, Asda, Tesco or Morrions so no gyoza.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 02, 2016 9:03 am

Good God.
What a lovely display of your hard work and the food, Wildie.
Marvellous stuff.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox